Freecycle Pets

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what is going on in my area but there are more and more pets showing up on freecycle. It really breaks my heart. I know a lot of them are military families and they get a lot of things dealt to them but it is not fair to the pets and it just makes me sad. Hopefully They are all finding good homes and not gong to people who are going to abuse them or use them to train their big dogs to fight.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've complained to the freecycle in my area to no avail. There are rescue groups that have started to watch for pet ads and will contact them to explain why they should never offer a pet "free to a good home".

It's sad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really is. I have seen kittens galore, husky puppies, peoples cats they have had for years but now little Johnny has developed allergies so we are getting rid of the pets and more. The latest is a 7 month old Shepard who they just don't have time to train.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on two freecycle sites and there aren't too many posts. Someone posted another site in NE Wisconsin for pets then this one lady (I got stuff from her) blasted people trying to find dogs new homes as she used to breed and show dogs. So after that not to many listings but the ones that are posted they seem to find new homes fairly quickly. I try to reply to people listing "pets" to list on petfinders.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see alot on my freecycle site also... I usually email them and try to discourage "Free" and to take them to a no kill shelter...but I usually get chewed out

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some Freecycle groups donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t allow people to post animals, but our does and has a “pet moderator†to help people screen the potential owners. Unfortunately I think they are not required to go through that person, so I am guessing most would rather get rid of their animals quickly instead of carefully screening. I don't understand how people out here have absolutely no problems letting their animals breed and freecycling the offspring constantly when the local shelter is euthanising puppies because they get too many in.

The one that really made me mad was when someone getting rid of a cat they had for years posted “Donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t make me have to take her to the poundâ€â€¦umm…how about people learning to be responsible for their own choices and actions? I would have loved to reply to that one but probably would have been kicked for what I wanted to say.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is freecycle? I'm guessing its a things for free ad site?

If so, it is definately sad if more and more pets are showing up on it...That pretty much is a beacon for psychos.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

What is freecycle? I'm guessing its a things for free ad site?

If so, it is definately sad if more and more pets are showing up on it...That pretty much is a beacon for psychos.
Yes its a web group thing you join and you can only post free stuff. No selling or trading.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those ads aren't just on freecycle, I see them everywhere. It seems like pets have just become throw away items, as soon as you don't want them anymore you make up an allergy ect. and find someone else to pawn your responsibility off on. Poor animals

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its sad how people do now a days and the amount of people who end up getting the free pets that don't need a pet at all.