Rare lion cubs poisoned on purpose!

quill_luv

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my god ... that is beyond cruel ... and considering they are a critically endangered species.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EricaNicole

That really ruined my day!
I'm sorry! I didn't mean to ruin your day!

I love the big cats even more than I love the little ones, can't help it, always been that way, and I just can't believe how people can treat the symbol of their country like that!

Can you IMAGINE the outcry if we started poisoning bald eagles in the states???

Those poor little cubs...wish I could adopt one, but that's SO unrealistic.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read this story on a few lists/forums now. Does anyone know of any charity that is handling this? I would really like to do something to help. This is tragic. It makes me sad... Not angry... Just extremely sad...

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Can you IMAGINE the outcry if we started poisoning bald eagles in the states???
I think they have a much different situation going on over there when you look at the big picture...

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the article:
Abdulaziz said it costs around $6,000 a month to run the zoo, but it only receives $5,000 in revenues from entrance fees. He added that the poisoning has been going on at least since he arrived two years ago; the number of cubs that have been killed was not immediately clear.
There are only 1000 of these lions left in the wild, so anyone who does anything to harm one of these animals should face serious crimminal charges. That makes me sooooo mad!

And if this zoo can't make enough money from entrance fees, they should do some fund raising or apply for some type of financial assistance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

I think they have a much different situation going on over there when you look at the big picture...
Please, explain to me, what about the big picture in any way justifies the killing of extremely rare and innocent cubs? I can understand not having much money, trust me, but I wouldn't kill off my country mascot - an endangered species, no less - to give the government money!!!

Sorry about the heat - if a mod wants to shoot this one over to IMO, I'm completely ok with that!

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Please, explain to me, what about the big picture in any way justifies the killing of extremely rare and innocent cubs? I can understand not having much money, trust me, but I wouldn't kill off my country mascot - an endangered species, no less - to give the government money!!!

Sorry about the heat - if a mod wants to shoot this one over to IMO, I'm completely ok with that!
I can't yet post in the IMO board.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to get anyone upset, but making a statement like the one I responded to is incredibly insensitive at best. YES, what happened is tragic and it breaks my heart. I'm not making light of the situation. But Ethiopia and the United States are VERY different countries both economically and socially. There is NO comparison. There are just as many, if not more, PEOPLE dying/starving/being killed over there as there are lions. Its ALL tragic, but don't talk about how heinous those people are until you hear their side of the story and understand where they are coming from.

This stuff doesn't happen in the US for a reason. I was going to post some links to people starving/dying/being killed in ethiopia, but thats not what this thread is supposed to be about, so I'm gonna let it go. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm not going to post anything else in this thread.

Tiffany

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible! Although their situation is very difficult, they should have taken other actions necessary to save the cubs, i.e., such has finding other zoos outside of the country who could maybe care for the cubs. After all, people are not poisoned when they can no longer be fed. Afterall, that is the only physical barrier that limits such a shortcoming. We all know animals are intelligent, whether based on basic instinct or genetic DNA coding. If animals could talk, would they be treated more humanely?