Wheat Germ?

lme1616

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 5-6 month old kitten who has had softer bowel movements since we got her at 6 weeks. It's not diarrhea and she goes normally about 2-3 times a day. I'm pretty sure that she just needs more fiber in her diet. We feed both of our kittens Nutro so it's not the lack of quality food. They get both hard food and soft food. Is there something I can do on a daily basis to add more fiber to her diet. Can I sprinkle wheat germ on her soft food? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wheat germ is okay but low in fiber ... you may want to ask your vet about pumpkin...

Which Nutro ??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I have to ask where you got this info - wheat germ is almost all fiber!

For more info on wheat germ specifically: http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/wheat-germ

Wheat germ is also high in fiber, and contains approximately 1 gram of fiber per tablespoon.
A sprinkle on wet food would be low and I havent figured out how to get a CAT to eat a tablespoon or any high fiber amount...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lme1616

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadie eats anything she can get her paws on. I gave her a bit of pure pumpkin last night to see if she would eat it and she did with no problem. She loves the wet food, I don't think she would even notice the wheat germ mixed in. I can probably give her about a tsp at a time with her 2 wet food meals a day. But do you think I should keep it up on a daily basis?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldnt but I would run it by the vet ... My theroy would be a slight dependance ie lazy colon if given all the time

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't do it without consulting a vet. Many cats are allergic to wheat and corn products. That may be the source of the problem. Nutro foods are loaded with both.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

I wouldn't do it without consulting a vet. Many cats are allergic to wheat and corn products. That may be the source of the problem. Nutro foods are loaded with both.
Only Nutro max in some has wheat and corn gluten

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I checked Nutro Max but think that there are better brands of food. Since this cat is having a reaction that is suggestive of an allergy, it would be wise to try an isolation diet. Eliminating grains known to be allergens is a good start.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

I checked Nutro Max but think that there are better brands of food. Since this cat is having a reaction that is suggestive of an allergy, it would be wise to try an isolation diet. Eliminating grains known to be allergens is a good start.
hehe( one day I will learn to read) your right on the possible allergy but since they are kittens I would say first back down on the wet amount