Myyyy CATSSSS... Uggghhh

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love my cats.. I really really do... But sometimes... They really are mischevious...

I don't know which one.. I have my suspicions of which one it was. I'm thinking this was a group effort.. But I have no proof..

My daughter has a little Beta Fish "Mickey Mouse",, well it's in a little Beta tank thing with a top and it has a cozy little spot.. About 2 gallons of water,, quite cute and nifty.. Well it sits on her night stand by her bed. Well this morning about 7ish,, I hear a big boom.. So I get up,, and look and the cats are smelling around on the ground.. One or all of them had knocked that tank on the ground,, and the top has holes.. So all the water was gone,, and the fish was dead...

Well my daughter wakes up,, surprisingly she didn't hear it.. I had already done away with the evidence of the crime.. and she finds out Mickey is dead.. She was devastated.. She's only 4 mind you.... Crying and all upset... Then out of the blue.. She says Mommy can I have a hamster,, with big watery blue eyes.. What was I supposed to say... I caved quickly.. Yes.. So we are getting a stinking Hamster this weekend.. Ugggghhh..

My cats are gonna be the death of me.... I'm gonna have to find a plastic proof cage,, so the cats don't get the rodent. This should be fun.....

Did I say my cats were gonna be the death of me.... Gotta love the little brats....

Heather

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They may not be the death of YOU but, they were certainly the death of MICKEY.

If you DO acquire a rodent, best get a tough enclosure for it - THAT kill would be a lot messier than a fish.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, RIP little Mickey...Stinkin cats...Jeeeeeeeeeeeez. That would be hard not to get mad at a cat for doing I think..little buggers!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They may not be the death of YOU but, they were certainly the death of MICKEY.
I guess I should laugh about that,, because that was funny....

ohhh my cats..... I know.. I'm dreading a hamster,, the idea makes me cringe..

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

I guess I should laugh about that,, because that was funny....

ohhh my cats..... I know.. I'm dreading a hamster,, the idea makes me cringe..
I'm glad you were able to find the humor in that, because it's safe for me to admit now that I cracked a smile when I read Cindy's post

We had a dead fish at my house this morning as well. My fiance's son found our last cichlid dead when he went to feed it. He asked for more fish, thank goodness he didn't ask for a hamster!

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

I'm glad you were able to find the humor in that, because it's safe for me to admit now that I cracked a smile when I read Cindy's post

We had a dead fish at my house this morning as well. My fiance's son found our last cichlid dead when he went to feed it. He asked for more fish, thank goodness he didn't ask for a hamster!
It was funny I laughed out loud that was for sure..

It must be the day for dead fish... I wish I was that lucky,, that she wouldn't want a hamster.. Whyy a hamster,, I'd rather have a frog or turtle, but not a furryy rodent.. I don't know.. I'm sure there fine,, but I've never dealt with small furry mice like cratures that have sharp teeth and look like Mice.. I'm scared of mice,, they freak freak freak me out..

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hamsters aren't bad. As long as they are treated nicely the shouldn't bite. But be warned they are nocturnal. I had one in HS and it kept me up at night.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Hamsters aren't bad. As long as they are treated nicely the shouldn't bite. But be warned they are nocturnal. I had one in HS and it kept me up at night.
Yeah, nothing like the sound of a squeaky hamster wheel waking you up and keeping you up...

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get her a guinea pig.
I Had one when I first got Luna. Luna tried to bat at my guinea pig (now passed to the big carrot in the sky) and the GP charged after her. Luna freaked and ran!

Afterwards Luna would actually sleep on the cage...never threatened the GP again.

Just find a place for the hamster cage that is somewhat difficult for the cats to get at.

Oh and if you don't really want a hamster, just tell your daughter it'll be a couple of days before you guys can go. When I was younger, I would quickly forget. So unless your daughter has a memory of an elephant you're golden.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Oh and if you don't really want a hamster, just tell your daughter it'll be a couple of days before you guys can go. When I was younger, I would quickly forget. So unless your daughter has a memory of an elephant you're golden.
We went to Meijers about two weeks ago and she watned a hamster then.. Daddy said no, because she had a fish, and cats.. Well she quickly kept reminding us everday now,, for 2 weeks.. I'm guessing the whole memory thing.. She has a good one.. Lucky me...

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We went to Meijers about two weeks ago and she watned a hamster then.. Daddy said no, because she had a fish, and cats.. Well she quickly kept reminding us everday now,, for 2 weeks.. I'm guessing the whole memory thing.. She has a good one.. Lucky me...
Ok Mom, you must get better at reverse psychology with the kid!
On the way to the store talk about how cool turtles are, but throw in there that you sure are glad she doesn't want one of those because of whatever reason. Then walk around the pet store and when you get to the turtles, again talk about how neat they are. Get her to change her mind, but don't make it known that is your intention

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww Poor fishy!
I had a foster kitty once, Holly, who did the same thing.. Except we didn't find the evidence..
Just woke up one morning to an empty beta tank and Holly sleeping under the freshwater tank it was sitting on... I am POSITIVE it was her

We have had cats along with hampsters, rats, guinea pigs and now birds.. I think cats quickly realize that these animals can bite back and leave them alone.. But I would definatly make sure you get a tough locking top for the cage

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by squirtle

Ok Mom, you must get better at reverse psychology with the kid!
On the way to the store talk about how cool turtles are, but throw in there that you sure are glad she doesn't want one of those because of whatever reason. Then walk around the pet store and when you get to the turtles, again talk about how neat they are. Get her to change her mind, but don't make it known that is your intention
Okay.. that's not a bad idea... Maybe I can talk her into it... Gosh I hope soo... She pretty head strong like her father... And that's saying something..

I hope they have turtles.. what if they don't have turtles.. OMG.. I don't wanna get a hamster,, unless she gets one of those dwarf hamsters,, then I'd be okay with that,, there really small and not soo mousy looking.. OHHH KIDS>. OH CATS..... There stressing me out..

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Okay.. that's not a bad idea... Maybe I can talk her into it... Gosh I hope soo... She pretty head strong like her father... And that's saying something..

I hope they have turtles.. what if they don't have turtles.. OMG.. I don't wanna get a hamster,, unless she gets one of those dwarf hamsters,, then I'd be okay with that,, there really small and not soo mousy looking.. OHHH KIDS>. OH CATS..... There stressing me out..
Just be careful with the turtles. We had a red-ear slider about 4 years ago. You have to wash your hand VERY good after touching them EVERY time. They carry salmonella (sp?) and can make you sick... just like iguana's.
They are awesome pets though

Maybe a bird?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly... I think a turtle is more likely to bite than a hamster. At least it's not a gerbil she wants... talk about mousey looking. LOL Just remember you'll probably want something easy to care for so you don't have to get something else again too soon.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOOOOO!!! Get a snapping turtle - The cats will NEVER go near that! !

I don't think Meijer carries turtles, at least not around here.

Oh and I would avoid the Dwarf hamsters, they have to personalities: Gentile or neurotic. I had one in college that I named the
Anytime I would attempt to reach my hand in that cage, change food, change water, change litter, the thing would attack my hand and start chewing on it.
I kept food and water as best I could (wearing a leather glove), but luckily she didn't live long.

When she passed, my friends and I played the wizard of oz's "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead".
I would NEVER own a dwarf hamster again.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Honestly... I think a turtle is more likely to bite than a hamster. At least it's not a gerbil she wants... talk about mousey looking. LOL Just remember you'll probably want something easy to care for so you don't have to get something else again too soon.
My roommate had a hamster in college and it had SHARP teeth. I think I still have the scar on my finger from where it bit me one day.

I read up on them later though and what I read said that no matter how much you WANT to, to not hold them or take them outo f their cage for several days or so until they get used to you and their new surroundings. They bite when they are scared.

I had a hamster when I was 7 or 8 though that my grandparents bought me. I have only fond memories of it. Although we did keep it on the far end of the house because it was noisy at night.