Any basset hound owners?

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We may be confronted by the possibility of having to lay our oldest dog (of 16 years) to rest later this afternoon. Her health is deteriorating, and she seems to be senile, losing her bladder control, and her arthritis is getting the best of her.
We are taking Ginger in to have some tests done, but we've been preparing for the worst (the best we can) for about a week now. Thinking about all the wonderful memories and how she has raised my kitten, Captain Steuben (now 8 months old), from when he was a tiny boy (he sleeps with her every night, and "nursed" on her until he was about 5 months old), truly makes my heart ache.

There has been an ongoing dialogue in my family for the past few months about getting a basset hound puppy after Ginger crosses the Bridge...we spotted a litter at a local pet shop quite some time ago and fell in LOVE with them (would never buy a puppy from such a place). We've found two reputable breeders in our area of basset hounds, and one is planning a litter for Jan or February, due in March or April of next year. Depending on Ginger, and if we do have to let her go soon (and how we will cope with that), we are strongly going to consider putting a deposit down for one of these pups. We do have a purebred Golden Retriever who is 6 1/2 years old, and a rott/chow/black lab mix who is 4. And, of course, the 3 kitties, Fergus, Ripley, and Captain Steuben.

I've been doing a lot of reading about basset hounds, and their care requirements. Apparently they can be fairly stubborn, and take longer to housebreak than many other breeds. This is fine, as I'm prepared to crate train for a much more extended period of time. I also know that they are basically BIG dogs on short legs, so size has been considered...all of our dogs have always been large.

Does anyone here have experience with basset hounds, or own one? How well do they fit into multi-pet households with older kids?

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had Basset Hounds when I was growing up and they are wonderful, sweet dogs that seem to get along with just about everybody. Those floppy ears do require regular attention, though, and must be kept clean.

We adopted Sophie (Sophia of Hollyhock, actually) when she was 3-months-old. She was a beautiful tri-colour basset and was wonderful with my brothers, who were probably eight and three at the time. We bred her once and kept one of her puppies, Betsy, Ma Petite Chienne (my little dog). Betsy was just as sweet as her mother. They did fine with the other dogs we had over the years, including a grouchy senior collie and exhuberant yellow lab. They also welcomed a kitten that I brought home from college into the household.

Honestly, I can't remember that we ever had any behavior problems with Sophie or Betsy. They were very lovable, easygoing dogs. My parents have often said how much they'd love to have another. Hope that helps!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I can't wait for the time to come when we can have a basset! Ginger actually got a clean bill of health yesterday, however!!!
It's just a severe case of osteoarthritis, which we are now treating with Rimadyl since last night...she's moving around and acting better already!!! She's outside right now, going potty like a good little lady. The vet said we would notice a difference almost right away, and boy, have we ever!!! I'm just so thrilled we have some time with our old lady yet!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you're welcome!
I don't have a basset hound but I do have a treeing walker coonhound/english coonhound mix.
Hounds are the best.
I did, however have a basset/beagle mix when I was younger. His name was Buddy and he was a great dog.
Sadly, when we lived in Nevada..he got loose and a kid found him and fed him a piece of lunchmeat in front of his dog.
so his dog attacked Buddy.
We had to take him to the emergency vet and he had to have a lot of stitches in his back. me and my dad would clean him everyday. In 1996 he went downhill so we had to put him down a few weeks before Christmas.
he truly was the best dog ever.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wookie Yes I have A bassett hound I have had many I used to raise them, probably raised 50 pups. We lost one about 3 years ago to posioning who was only 7, and Our Zoie is 4 now, My daughter also just lost one to Cancer she has another also.
I can tell you that they fit perfectly into a muti-pet households, I have 8 cats and Zoie loves them all,
When I was raising them we also had horses, pigs, cows, chickens, you name it.
I don't think there any different then any other puppy they are slightly stubborne but just sometimes, they are very easy going a bit lazy as a rule but our zoie is quit active as I didn't let her gain to much weight she's a small basset.
They are clowns as a rule and tend to love everyone, and when there samll they are just the cutiest things there are.
If you have an question feel free to Pm me I'd be glad to help if I can.
Here are a few pictures of our Zoie and Dexter who we still miss Dearly.

This is Zoie she's a sweet girl and really quit smart

This was Dexter He Loved his dad so much

The funny one to, such a clown

This is a pastel we had done of him after he passed

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh...both Zoie and Dexter are to DIE for!!! I just can't resist those droopy silly faces! Those pics were definitely NOT good for me!!! It makes me want to run right out NOW, and find a basset puppy, which would not be fair to Ginger...we are going to wait until she finally crosses the Bridge to welcome a new puppy into the family. We have a total of three dogs (all large breeds), and three cats...in a 1300 sq. ft. home, believe me, it's a handful!

Sorry to hear about Dexter...he looks like he was a real ham, and loveable to boot! I can see why he is so dearly missed...and Zoie is a gorgeous hound!

I will let you know for sure when the time comes to start looking into it!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Oh...both Zoie and Dexter are to DIE for!!! I just can't resist those droopy silly faces! Those pics were definitely NOT good for me!!! It makes me want to run right out NOW, and find a basset puppy, which would not be fair to Ginger...we are going to wait until she finally crosses the Bridge to welcome a new puppy into the family. We have a total of three dogs (all large breeds), and three cats...in a 1300 sq. ft. home, believe me, it's a handful!

Sorry to hear about Dexter...he looks like he was a real ham, and loveable to boot! I can see why he is so dearly missed...and Zoie is a gorgeous hound!

I will let you know for sure when the time comes to start looking into it!
Thank You yes we Love Zoie and Dexter was just a daddy's boy. If I were you I would find a breeder buying from the pet stores you never know what you may get health wise.
When I was raising them I would have them sold in 1 day, I thought I wanted to start raising them again but I have 8 kitties and thats a full time job here.
I had 1 female and then we kept a male and female and they all lived to be 16 never many heath problems at all, and 16 is pretty old for the hounds, they are pretty hardy dogs... And I wish you luck on finding one to Love and I don't blame you for waiting , a new pup can never take the place of another just feels a void and they make your Heart Happy...

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another person who is Owned by a Basset here. Lady Athena of scamper farms, who is currently in my spot on the bed, lol

Bassets are wonderfull around other pets, we have 14 other kitties and raise kittens, and Athena has done very well with all of them. She has her favourites. Like Gwenie whom she plays with, and she used to let Ares (RIP) ride on her tail around the kitchen.

They are VERY stubborn. Athena was hard to housebreak, it wasnt that she didnt get it, she just didnt care, but we worked with it. they are highly food motivated so thats good.

They are STRONG dogs so be warned of that. Everyone who wants to walk athena thinks shes a pack mule, lol. And over all that nose rules all. i think you have gotten great advice, gotta keep those ears clean they are very prone to infections because of their droopieness. Also always keep an eye on those eyes, make sure the breeder you go with has had glacoma testing, and Von Wilderbrandts testing done on their dogs.

I am carefull on stairs and couches with Athena, long back can lead to more back problems.

and i think most of all dont let your hound become the typical "overweight" hound. dont get suckered by those eyes! LOL its hard on their frames i think and they do tend to be more couch taters. Athena is very very active, and just completed a hunting season with my uncle
she did really well and he wants to take her again next year, i dont hunt but hes welcome to borrow her
feel free to PM me if you like.

and heres a photo of our sweet Athena.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh!!! I don't need any more basset eye candy!!! Athena is beautiful! I have read a lot about their stubborn streak, and how difficult it can be to housebreak them...I've also ready they don't reach their full physical maturity until around 3 years of age. I would be prepared to do crate training for a longer period of time...

Fortunately, we've always been very good about exercising our dogs...they walk about 2-3 miles a day, with the exception of our arthritic dog, Ginger...she only goes around the block once or twice, as it's now becoming too difficult for her.

I'm really yearning for a basset, but I know I have to wait. Right now, we're just going to enjoy what time we have left with Ginger, as it just wouldn't be right to take attention away from her needs with a new puppy.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hhehhe sorry i just had to show her off a little bit. She shows, and is doing field trials now. So we keep her very fit. They are stubborn, but they are loveable! Athena took about a full year to housebreak, she still has the occasional small accident if we dont attend to her I have to potty right NOW whine. she always waits til the last second. We do use a crate too, when we are gone ect, and she likes her crate its got a nice big bed in it, and toys shes a happy puppy, lol.

Enjoy your time with Ginger. thats the best thing to do right now. and when its time for a basset..well than you get one
and these little clowns will bring a smile to your face everyday.