My Kitty has a Bag Fetish...

kovina_mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So latley, every time i come home with groceries, or anything that comes in a plastic or paper bag, first time it is placed on the table, or the floor in the case of food shopping, she hops into the bags. well actually she's more stealthy about it... but anyway, i don't really like her getting into the bags, i'm scared that she can get hurt from the plastic bags and such. i have tried all i can to stop her, moving her away from them, blocking all ways to get onto the table, but she still finds a way. even the spray bottle doesn't work... is there something i should do further? please help

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry if you are right there watching her until all the bags are unloaded and put away. The only time I would really be concerned is if she was chewing the plastic bag. Many cats do this and obviously you don't want them eating plastic.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep an eye on this habit. One of my kitties, still don't know who, got one wrapped around their neck in the middle of the night. I was in bed with one kitty and saw this black mass flying at me. The cat was going nuts bouncing around and landed on my head. My mom came running in my room and all I could say was "cat in the bag". She had no idea what I was saying and I couldn't speak. I ran down the stairs searching for the hurt kitty and found the plastic bag ripped open behind the couch. We had 7 cats at the time and only 2 were sleeping with us. We laugh hard over it now.

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Draco and Psyche love to play with/in plastic bags. As long as you're supervising them there shouldn't be a problem.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bags/boxes=kitty fun, i have never seen a bag or box that a cat did not want to play in, you will just have to keep a eye out for your kitty to make sure they dont get hurt

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine also loves shopping bags--the kind with handles. He loves hiding in them and once when he was quite young he got one of the handles around his neck and then he twisted several times and couldn't get out. Thankfully I was right there. I always cut off the handles if I let him play in them now.

Just a friendly reminder with the big shopping days coming up!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any bags left anywhere accessible should have their handles cut as the cats can easily get them round their necks. Persil fled down two flights of stairs once, shedding rubbish from a bag round her neck. But all cats love bags. Here are three white cats and a bag:

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pippen

Mine also loves shopping bags--the kind with handles. He loves hiding in them and once when he was quite young he got one of the handles around his neck and then he twisted several times and couldn't get out. Thankfully I was right there. I always cut off the handles if I let him play in them now.

Just a friendly reminder with the big shopping days coming up!
Same thing happened to my Cairo with a Victoria's Secret rope handle. She was screaming so terribly and Paris came running up the stairs so fast, and when I went down, it was so tight around her leg that I couldn't get the scissors under it to cut it. Thanks to some quick thinking my boyfriend's part, we got her out of there. You'd think that would have scared her away from paper bags for life, but noooo, she plays with everything she can get her paw or head into. We cut the cords on everything both paper and plastic.

She's now known as the suicidal cat because she will do the most stupid deadly things as a show for us. With plastic bags, it's not enough to just get in them. She has to tuck all the loose ends under her so there is no air coming through and then she meows to get our attention so we can free her and she attacks our hands with no claws.

She also gets in the bed under the covers when she knows were are coming in and lays as flat as kittenly possible (most of the time you have to strain to see her). I've partially laid on her once and that was enough to teach me a lesson. Now before I do anything potentially dangerous I do a cat count. Putting clothes in the dryer, turning the oven on, starting the dishwasher, getting in bed, etc. It was a lot easier when I had bells around her neck.

seaneka

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girls love to play in plastic or paper bags. I was cleaning up a mess I had made with bags after a grocery trip and I picked one up didnt notice any weight in it. I was really unobservant and tossed it into the garbage can. Next thing I knew my youngest comes bolting out from the garbage can. I accidentally threw her out!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely be careful of plastic bags since they can get tangled in them. You can get things to hold extra plastic bags at a store like Target or wherever. They work great. Paper bags are fine for cat toys as long as you cut the handles first. "The Paper Bag Game" is a favorite among my crew.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kovina_mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you all for your posts! atleast i know muh kitty won't die now haha...she is always supervised, but i have gotten into the habit of leaving one of the paper bags out...she decided to push it ontop of her cat bed and sleeps in it haha...oh well...she's crazy...and i LOVED the stories! thanks again!