Help! 6-7 month old kitten has bad diarrhea!

k_jaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she's about 6 or 7 months old, she used to be a barn cat but mom kept her as a house pet. she was doing great but then she started to get the diarrhea. now it's just worse; kinda watery. We took her to the vet and they gave her some kind of medicine. But we're wanting a second opinion on this. is there anything we can do to get rid of the diarrhea? Thanks for your help! We really appriciate it!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! What kind of medication did your vet give her?

In the meantime, many of us have had good results using pumpkin, a little at a time and I have had good results using apple pectin, the kind that is used in making jelly.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just wanted to add that the pumpkin should be the plain canned pumpkin - not the canned pumpkin pie filling. A bit of yoghurt is also not a bad idea, but again use just plain yoghurt - not the flavoured or fruit ones.

ulualoha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be Giaridia which the kitty could have gotten from drinking water outside. It is highly contagious and causes terrible diarrhea. They can test for it but I will warn you, if she has been around your other pets, they will have to be tested too. I am speaking from experience. I adopted a kitten last year and she had the same symptoms and after testing her, that is what they found. All of my pets had to be tested at the same time. It's easily curable with medication. I would call your vet and ask about it. I wish you the best!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

k_jaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, he gave her panacue for one week and then albon for another week. now they gave it to us again but to use together this time.
So far, nothing is working but we haven't tried the pumpkin or yogurt. It's like she can't hold it. We're not sure what to do.
The vet told us there's nothing more he can do. except put her to sleep.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, before you put the kitties down, try the pumpkin or the apple pectin. What do you have to lose??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What tests have been done on this cat?? PTS should be last thing thought of .... MANY things can cause these symptoms ... I HIGHLY advise another vet be consulted ....

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PTS??? It sounds way too soon for that. Have you had a fecal test done? Giardia and coccidia are two possibilities that normal worming meds don't usually take care of. Have any other tests been done- feline leukemia, FIP, etc? Just to rule things out.

I'd definately try another vet. I wouldn't be comfortable with one that gives up that easily.

In the meantime, along with the other suggetions you could try giving her a probiotic like Benebac (available in many pet stores and from vets).

jt23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by K_Jaz

First, he gave her panacue for one week and then albon for another week. now they gave it to us again but to use together this time.
So far, nothing is working but we haven't tried the pumpkin or yogurt. It's like she can't hold it. We're not sure what to do.
The vet told us there's nothing more he can do. except put her to sleep.
DON'T TAKE HER BACK TO THAT VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe he wants to PTS for diarrhoea! Try starving her for 12 hours then feeding steamed/boiled chicken breast and rice. This is really digestible and easy on the stomach and definately seek a second opinion for treatment as she may need some different meds and tests.

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There was somebody on this forum (or was it somewhere else?) that recommended giving rice water for diarrhea.

k_jaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I misunderstood something, I do apologize. I guess shes had the diarrhea ever since we took her in from the barn. But it has gotten worse since we had her. But it's not something that just started..sorry.

About what she's been tested for..I'll post it all later.
Thanks!

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if your kits have irritable bowel syndrome. I also wonder if the drugs they are getting, are not helping the matter.

Please, don't put your babies down until you have had them tested. Try the pumpkin and/or the apple pectin. It should slow down the watery stools.

k_jaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
these are all that she's had done at the vet:
first distemper shot, fecal test, alon, panacue, keto flush, and she needs her second distemper shot on the 29th. Everything turned out ok.

My mom contacted another vet and she told us the same about taking her off food for 12-24 hours, then the chicken and rice. So, we're gonna try that. Thanks again, everyone, for being there in our time of need! You're all awesome!

k_jaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i don't wish to jinx her but the chicken and rice seem to be helping. We also heard rice in the cottage cheese; with rice there it shouldn't hurt her.