Long-time cat person, first-time caller.

verbivore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I was directed to TCS by another member, a dear friend of mine. I come from a family of cat lovers; my mother is thrilled about her new grandcat. (It'll be a while before she gets a human grandchild.) I couldn't have asked for a better companion! I grew up with cats but never had one of my own until a week ago. I adopted a sweet ginger boy named Blarney from the local SPCA. He is six years old and had been at the shelter nearly three months. Of course, I now believe he was waiting for me.

In addition to the fact that I was probably Blarney's last chance, I felt that adopting an adult cat would be best for me because they are generally more mellow and predictable than kittens. My roommate has a tiny, yapping dog; two hyperactive animals would be too much!

Blarney and I are doing great, no behavior problems whatsoever. His last owners had his front claws removed, and left him in a shelter anyway when they moved away. I can't imagine why they didn't want to keep him. Oh well, it's their loss.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to you and Blarney. I'm glad he found someone who could really appreciate him.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. Enjoy the forums!

I have a feeling you might be a listener of the Bob and Tom show??? Mr. Obvious??? I LOVE that segment!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi & welcome to TCS

I'm so glad you and Blarney found each other...destiny definitely had a hand in this relationship

If you have any questions, or need any help finding your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verbivore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by neetanddave

Welcome to TCS. Enjoy the forums!

I have a feeling you might be a listener of the Bob and Tom show??? Mr. Obvious??? I LOVE that segment!
Thanks to all for the welcome. I've never listened to the Bob and Tom show. I'll have to check it out. The word "verbivore" was coined by author and humorist Richard Lederer. A verbivore is someone who loves and devours language. Cats are carnivores, and I'm a verbivore.
Of course, Blarney likes to sit with when I read in bed, so he may become a verbivore as well as a carnivore.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and a warm welcome ! (again) this is a double post, cos I´ve been looking at your amazing photos of Blarney in the Fur-Picture Forum
- so its nice to hear a bit more about you ! How wonderful that you came into each other lives - he looks a real treasure and I can tell you are smitten to bits already
it was obviously meant to be !

p.s................more photos please
I love orange kitties

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there Verbivore
we're so happy to welcome you and Blarney to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

I'm so happy that you and Blarney found each other - just like you, I can't believe that his former companions would choose to leave him behind, as you say, it most certainly their loss. Thank you so much for offering him a home

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Verbivore and sweet Blarney:

Welcome to TheCatSite and are we glad you adopted Blarney! You are SO right in your feelings -- adult cats are WONDERFUL companions, and you are doing such a great thing in adopting one. It is tragic and senseless that his former caregivers abandoned him -- I won't write any more feelings about THEM, as they'd be unprintable on a nice site like this one, but let's just say you can imagine how I might feel. As for declawing, well, it's another senseless and terrible thing to do as cats were created with claws for a very good reason and removing them is like cutting off a person's fingers at the first joint...and it can lead to infection, behavioral problems, and worse. But having been done already, it's just wonderful that Blarney came to YOU, as you seem to have wisdom and empathy, and to really love him.

All of us, from myself, King Nicolas, to Baby Su,and our devoted servant, hope you'll enjoy it here at TheCatSite and that we might see some photos of Blarney sometime!