I'm gonna be a "temporary" mom.....

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw a listing in Craigslist from a woman who lives in CA and is moving to western MA. She has an 11 year tuxedo who has lived in the same house his entire life and she is stressing out about the move and how it will effect him. He is skiddish and shy and she was very concerned about having to take him across country (a week in a car) so she put a plea on craigslist looking for a safe place for him to stay for 6 weeks till she got here. She did not want to put him in a kennel here either.
Well I volunteered and he's going to come stay with us!! She's flying out around the 6th to finalize things on their home and she will drop him off with me. He'll be with me for 6 weeks till his mommy gets out here to their new home.
I'm just so happy I could help put this woman's mind at ease. It's just one less thing she'll be stressing out about during a very hectic move.

His name is Cielito Lindo (she said he speaks Spanish
)

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LokisMum

Good for you! Can you speak Spanish so that you can talk to him?
Yeah, there might be a language barrier!

Great of you to volunteer to help. Good karma, you know?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone know what his name means? (if anything). It looks like spanish and the only spanish word I know is Si.

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my little "tenant" arrived Saturday morning
. He's a beautiful tuxedo boy
. His meowmy was very very nice too. She stayed for about an hour and helped get him settled in. She said he made the flight perfectly fine and slept with her last night in the hotel. She was very worried about him hiding in the hotel, but as I told her - she was the only thing familiar to him in that hotel which is maybe why he slept with her.
We got him settled in my daughters bathroom (which is where I start all my fosters for about a day - to give them some downtime, let them relax, and know exactly where the litter box is). Well he came right out of his carrier, was all over the bathroom, not shy at all, ate in front of us, used the litter box, let me pet him, - what a good boy!
She was very very proud of him as she should be.
Problem is - after she left, we kept him in the bathroom all day and when we went in to look in on him he had opened one of my daughters cabinets and was hiding in there
. Poor thing. Once we opened the bathroom door, the poor thing came shooting out of the bathroom and dove under my daughters bed. Good thing was I was well prepared for this. She has a waterbed base and there is one very large cabinet with nothing in it. So I put one of his blankets in there and I had asked his meowmy to bring a dirty shirt she wore with her and I put that in there so he can smell her. Poor thing has been in the cabinet ever since.
He really misses his meowmy and I don't know how to make it better.
I keep telling him she's going to come back and I sit and scritch him in the cabinet and he purrs and closes his eyes, but he won't come out (although I know he comes out when no one is there because he has been eating and using his box). I just feel so bad for the little guy. He's so scared.
Now - would it be a bad thing for his meowmy to stop by before she flies out? We're not moving him again, so I thought it might be ok for her to stop by and sit with him if she has time, but I don't want to make matters worse for him. What do you think?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, thats so sweet of you to be a temp meowmy to him!

Poor little guy, misses his mom! Maybe if you speak a little spanish to him, he'll feel at home?

I'm sure he'll adjust quickly, your a wonderful woman to be doing this!!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Aww, thats so sweet of you to be a temp meowmy to him!

Poor little guy, misses his mom! Maybe if you speak a little spanish to him, he'll feel at home?

I'm sure he'll adjust quickly, your a wonderful woman to be doing this!!
I hope he does adjust quickly. I feel so awful for him. Poor little thing. He doesn't understand where his mom went. I feel so terrible. (Wish I knew some spanish....
)

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He has already demonstrated his flexibility. Sure, he got anxious when he realized his familiar person had left the premises. He'll be okay. Having her stop by again could go either way. But it could also give him the idea that she will be coming back.
Really nice of you to take care of him.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
hmmm.....Can you get a Feliway diffuser for him? Tell him "Te amo"(I love you) several times....perhaps "tu estas muy bonito"(You are very pretty) Gosh...its been awhile since I used my spanish I hope I'm not butchering it!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

hmmm.....Can you get a Feliway diffuser for him? Tell him "Te amo"(I love you) several times....perhaps "tu estas muy bonito"(You are very pretty) Gosh...its been awhile since I used my spanish I hope I'm not butchering it!
Didn't think about that. I did have a feliway diffuser, but god know's what I did with it. Haven't used it in forever. Have to look for it. Thanks!! Great idea!!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisasha3

His name is Cielito Lindo (she said he speaks Spanish
)
Good luck Lisa!
and, Cielito lindo is a beautiful name, in fact, there are a song of it!...

Of course with Spanish lirycs!

Keep us updated about it!

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

Good luck Lisa!
and, Cielito lindo is a beautiful name, in fact, there are a song of it!...

Of course with Spanish lirycs!

Keep us updated about it!
Again - thanks for the translation Rigel!
I was told that Cielito Lindo - means Beautiful Sky!!!!

kiki_585

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
what a wonderful person you are for helping that poor woman. I am sure she has been feeling a lot less stressful because she knows he's safe.

I think it might be a good idea to have her comeback for a visit because like Phat Locani said, it might give him the idea that she will be coming back for him.

Sending out good vibes to you and Cielito lindo!