Shelter is closing, cats need rescue

the black cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just heard that The Barking Ark in St Cloud, MN is closing and all the cats MUST be adopted by Dec 31 or they will be euthanized. Please contact them to adopt or see if you can help!

Not all of the cats are listed on their petfinder website; I was told there are about 80 cats there needing homes asap. Contact:

The Barking Ark
3365 W Saint Germain St, Saint Cloud, MN 56301
(320) 251-1242
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MN192.html

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by the black cat

I just heard that The Barking Ark in St Cloud, MN is closing and all the cats MUST be adopted by Dec 1 or they will be euthanized. I have contacted them and am waiting to hear back if they are willing to work with rescue groups. Please contact them to adopt or see if you can help!

Not all of the cats are listed on their petfinder website; I was told there are about 80 cats there needing homes asap. Contact:

The Barking Ark
3365 W Saint Germain St, Saint Cloud, MN 56301
(320) 251-1242
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MN192.html
That's truly terrible. I would also recommend you reach out to Best Friends via your state community forum:

http://network.bestfriends.org/minnesota/news/

http://network.bestfriends.org/Messa...d79ee9a2614cfb

I don't know about other states, but our rescue has received TONS of pleas from local shelters the past couple of weeks and we are beyond full.

Katie

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they transporting any of the cats????

How much do they want for a cat??

Do we know any specifics on them??

The little Kali cat, is soo cute...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

Are they transporting any of the cats????

How much do they want for a cat??

Do we know any specifics on them??

The little Kali cat, is soo cute...
i just called there and
yes! They do transport. i forgot to ask about the actual adoption fee, but the vet checks are done either at the local vet or thru the nearby college, and the prices range from $27-$40 . The adopter pays for that and the flight ticket, and the cats can be shipped COD. The kitties depart out of the St.Cloud airport.
To see all the adoptable cats, please go to the website : www.ci.stcloud.mn.us and click on the animal control section.
The Barking Ark is a family owned business that ran for 6 years, rescuing the city's strays. The lady that I talked to was wonderful - these are people that really care for the city's strays on many levels.
As I feared, the majority of help has come for their dogs. So that leaves those of us cat lovers here at TCS to try to help.
okay, other TCSers - any suggestions that maybe one or all of us could use to help out? The St.Cloud Times has run a story that brought some interest; maybe with the holiday season coming up, they'd be willing to try again. maybe some calls to them from us would help.
There are so many wonderful kitties there - i hope that TCS can make a difference. Thank you for alerting us, The Black Cat
Susan

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's sad that they are closing. I wish our shelter could help out, but I doubt it with how full we are. I'll ask tonight to see if any of the rescues we work with might have space.
I love that Snowball...

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about placeing them in a program that matches pets to older people in how could do with a companion animal?

Adopting them out to schools to be a classroom pet?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are good ideas, Satai
I certainly hope that the people of St. Cloud get more involved. The city is citing that the shelter was smelly as a reason for yanking the contract, but a couple of responses to the news article claim that the shelter was no more smelly or chaotic than any other shelter. I have heard such complaints before, from people who want absolute perfection, although if they bothered to volunteer to help, I'd value their opinon quite a bit more