What do you buy your DH? *vent*

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Brandon's parents asked for a Christmas list (they do every year because he is nearly impossible to shop for) and he actually put socks and undershirts on the list he sent his parents.

What part of "you're married now" does he not get?

When I mentioned something about this, he said, "Well, you can let my mom know."

I know we've been married less than two months..but come on! Things like that are great stocking stuffers and now I have to tell his mom that I'll buy them?

Am I being silly, or should he really not ask his parents for things like that for Christmas (or any other occasion)?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We'll be getting married next year and I have every intention of allowing my mom to continue buying him sockz, boxers and undershirts for x-mas. It's an easy gift idea for them and lets me be more creative w/ my gift. I've always liked having parents buy the boring stuff. :-/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear what you're saying, but this is his own mom...almost as if he hasn't moved out or grown up, ya know? We're 100% self-sufficient, so buying socks and such really doesn't bother me, especially since I'd just put them in his stocking anyway (he'll get great gifts). I dunno..maybe I'm just weird. lol

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lifetime of habit is had to break - I'd say let it go. Since you're only married two months, remember that married life is long, if we're lucky, and that there will be other battles to pitch your energy into.

If you have a good relationship with his mom, you could drop by and chat about it, but I wouldn't bring it up with DH at all.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its okay to let them buy that stuff too. I mean who can't use more under shirts and socks. It seems like they wear out so quickly atleat in my house. So if you planned on using them as stocking stuffers go for it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

A lifetime of habit is had to break - I'd say let it go. Since you're only married two months, remember that married life is long, if we're lucky, and that there will be other battles to pitch your energy into.

If you have a good relationship with his mom, you could drop by and chat about it, but I wouldn't bring it up with DH at all.
Please don't misunderstand...I'm not upset, just...annoyed? lol

But I'll definitely have a chat with his mom. We usually discuss gifts so we don't accidentally buy the same things.

Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I think its okay to let them buy that stuff too. I mean who can't use more under shirts and socks. It seems like they wear out so quickly atleat in my house. So if you planned on using them as stocking stuffers go for it!
True, true. It's great to get other perspectives before I drive myself nuts asking, "Why?"

Thanks so much!

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My DH does the same thing, and at first I sort of freaked out like 'Are they going to think I dont buy him underwear!?!'

But Ive soon gotten used to it, and Ive realized its just an old habit with him. For Christmas his grandmother always buys him underwear or socks. So he just asks for those things because he knows thats what she'll get him.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father gets underwear and socks every christmas from his mother TO THIS DAY. And he's over 50 now. But you can still get him them too. Can't have too many pairs, plus, if she buys the usual white socks, buy him a few pairs of nice dress socks, funny boxers, something like that. It's actually a point of humour on our christmas morning, as mum always ends up with "the good presents" from grandma, according to dad, while he gets underwear (though he truthfully likes getting them and looks forward to it, and he does get other presents from his mom). I say, be glad you can count on her to keep him in fresh supply!

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was also going to add that maybe its more of a convenience thing? I mean guys cant possible ask for a new toolbox every year can they? Socks and underwear are convenient, and guys are always in need.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emerald....I can totally relate to your feelings...it's not actually the socks, it's the claws in her son/your hubby that is annoying you. The trying to control him thing.... Here is how I would handle it: let her buy him the stupid things that he doesn't really want, and you get him some cool stuff for his stocking! Does he like those mens body wash's? I get those at Marshalls for my DH, mens Curve wash by Liz Claiborne, and maybe a few things for the bath....my DH likes those finger nail scrubbing brushes, and kits to keep his nails trim. Or a cool new keychain, or a cd he's been wanting, or one that's always been his fave, that he doesn't own. You gotta fight fire with fire. The MIL is trying to descreetly display (to you) power. Don't let her win. Don't fight with him about it. Just get him a few little firecrackers to knock those boring tube socks right off of him!!!

And be greatful that this is all you have to go through....you don't even want me to go there with my MIL.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend asked for a nose hair trimmer when we first started dating...

No way would I buy that for him then...now I probably would...not because he needs it, just because we've been together for a lot longer than 2 months.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never ask a relative for clothes (even socks and underwear)- I can only imagine how awful they would be and then I'd have to be seen wearing them

I'm sure there are much nicer things you can get your husband btw