Wikipedia

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you guys ever go there? Is there ANYTHING that they cannot explain?

I forgot how I used to love leafing through the old-fashioned BOOK encyclopaedias when I was little. I could spend hours just thinking up stuff and typing it into Wikipedia. I'm learning so much!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol yea, when i was kid i used to read are world books until the cover came off some of them

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. If there is something I need to know I google it and find the wikipedia link to the info. I think it is so interesting! THey know EVERYTHING!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, Wikipedia rocks!!!! Don't try to reference Wikipedia in assignments though - because info on there can be submitted by anyone so it's not considered a reliable source

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Do you guys ever go there? Is there ANYTHING that they cannot explain?

I forgot how I used to love leafing through the old-fashioned BOOK encyclopaedias when I was little. I could spend hours just thinking up stuff and typing it into Wikipedia. I'm learning so much!
I do love that site... I use it all the time to cite in my college papers.(as long as the info is correct). Very helpful for that one or two sentences you need to make a big collegiate looking paragraph..

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go there frequently to find information. I have also added in information and made changes to existing stuff that I find has errors or needs more clarification. Anyone can add an entry or edit one. You just have to register.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my students I used to mark them right down if they used Wikipedia as a source without finding the originals and double checking the information. Otherwise it can be a) inaccurate and b) plagiarism as most of what is on Wikipedia is copied from other sources without citing or referencing. So although it can be a great starting point, as said, do not use it as your only point of information. It is also only a lazy researcher who would go there and nowhere else.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Yup, Wikipedia rocks!!!! Don't try to reference Wikipedia in assignments though - because info on there can be submitted by anyone so it's not considered a reliable source
My college accepted them.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the site, but since coming across few forged articles, I always use a backup source instead just to double check the information.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wikipedia is great for more obscure history and scientific stuff and the like but I think that IMDB is better for television and movies...
I would warn people that I wouldn't take either sites as being 100% correct on anything- but then I think that goes for the internet as a whole

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We aren't allowed to use Wikipedia as a credible source on our papers, well at least not in most of my classes. I just had to do a research paper on Friedrich Nietzsche. I found a lot of useful info through Wikipedia, but I ended up referencing the sources they cited to do my research.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Yes. If there is something I need to know I google it and find the wikipedia link to the info. I think it is so interesting! THey know EVERYTHING!!
I can't ever find what I need on Wikipedia!!!!! If I google it though I can find the right link... I don't know why I can't navigate that site

Originally Posted by silentNate

Wikipedia is great for more obscure history and scientific stuff and the like but I think that IMDB is better for television and movies...
I would warn people that I wouldn't take either sites as being 100% correct on anything- but then I think that goes for the internet as a whole
I love IMDB!!!!!!!!!!!

Wikipedia is cool... Luckily I don't have to write papers anymore, those days are over!
I still find my way there just farting around online a lot!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Most of the teachers at my school don't accept Wikipedia as a credible source for papers/oral reports, but encourage the kids to use it for "quick" explanations of, e.g., terms they don't understand, or historical/fictional figures they've never heard of.
I use it fairly often myself, and have widgets for both the English and German versions. It's great for obscure things.