Please send some prayers our way...

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blah. Bad news all the way around from this weekend. It's been a long time since I've been to TCS, but I've missed you all, and am going to ask that you pray for us.

Got a call from my mom on Friday night, and my 88 year-old grandfather had his third heart attack this year...AFTER beating bladder cancer at the same time. Fortunately the cancer is gone, but the radiation and chemo did a number on his heart, and he's in critical condition...it really isn't looking too good this time. He does have a way of bouncing back miraculously, so I'm trying to stay positive for him and the rest of my family.

The same evening, our oldest dog, Ginger, collapsed. She's 16 years old, which is nearly unheard of for a large breed...she is starting to loose her toileting skills, and is having frequent accidents in the house, which is always a bad sign. On Saturday, I found her in the middle of the kitchen, her legs sprawled out everywhere, in a puddle of urine. She could not get up, and I hoisted her (okay, I'm only 104 lbs...this dog is about 75 lbs.) into my son's bedroom, as she couldn't walk. I DEMANDED that we take her to an emergency vet, but my husband wouldn't have it...he insisted that we wait until this morning...this led to a horrible argument, and a lot of drama, which left us exhausted emotionally, and mentally. As awful as this sounds, I know he is thinking the worst, as I am. He's basically prolonging the inevitable, and I think he cannot bear the thought of her being euthanized. This dog was here for him before me, and she's older than our children...so I can see where he's coming from there.

However, I truly believe that Ginger is not going to be with us much longer, if not even through tomorrow, when her vet appointment is scheduled at 2:30. Quite honestly, I'm appalled that we've let it go on this long with her, and I feel that we've unneccessarily prolonged her suffering...I will be at work tomorrow when he takes her in to the vet, and I hope he has the kindness and bravery necessary to put Ginger to rest. If it were up to me (and it's not my decision...she's been his dog since practically the beginning of time), I'd take her in now and send her over the Bridge. It's clear to me that she has little to no quality of life left, and she's uncomfortable. My husband, through a combination of selfishness and despair, is putting her through far more than she should have ever had to endure...he's really unable to see what is in her best interest.

Please send some thoughts and prayers our way, and pray that Stu has the strength to let Ginger go.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw honey, damn this hurts. We are so sorry.

Loving headbuts and sooooothing licks from KittenKiya's Clan.

It is so difficult sometimes when someone else cannot see what is so clear in our eyes. No matter what happens, your baby Ginger will know that you love her and that you will do all you can to help her. Your hubby needs to understand that sometimes the choice is between what WE want, and what is best for his loving animal companion. Does he really want to see her stained with urine day after day, perhaps in pain? I'm sure he does not. What hurts you, hurts him. He's just a guy and can't express it as well as we can.

May I make a suggestion?

Please go and hug your hubby, explain that you understand how much Ginger means to him, but that she needs his help now more than ever, to have peace and painlessness. Love you.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he is able to do what is best for Ginger. Earlier this year I went threw that with my lab/bc mix Mariah. It was very hard for me because it was my first pet I ever had to put to sleep. It was a very hard choice for me to make. She had been with me since I was a little kid.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for all the bad news.
I am praying that God takes Ginger home with him so no one has to make that choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost wish that myself, Crittermom. I just don't want my son to be the one to wake up one of these mornings and find her gone.

I will let you all know which way the vet appointment goes.

Thanks for your kind words!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you and your family the best. Hopefully he'll have the courage to let go. It can be a tough thing, especially when the animal has been with you such a long time. Can't really blame him, I can imagine how he must feel. I'm sure ginger understands too. Let us know how it goes.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm still at school (I teach), and I called the veterinary clinic to see if he was still there...hubby was supposed to pick me up after her appointment. Apparently he never showed up with Ginger...they asked if I wanted to reschedule...but I'm not going to know anything until he shows up to get me. Ugh. I've been stressing out about this all day at school, and when I call...nothing. What is he thinking??? I'm starting to get really hopping mad about this. What he fails to realize is that this is far less about his interests than GINGER'S. It's just selfish to me.

I realize how hard this is...I love her too, for pete's sake, and it makes my heart ache terribly to have to let her go, or to see her deteriorate. But I guess if you love something/someone ENOUGH, you should love them enough to provide them comfort and peace, rather than prolonging her suffering because HE feels he isn't ready.

Sorry, I'm venting.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're taking Ginger in at 4:15. Hubby rescheduled, because her regular vet wasn't available yesterday...it was the other vet that would have been seeing her. I guess I can understand this...our regular vet has been caring for her for the past 16 years. It wouldn't feel right for anyone else to work with her, and I know even our reg. vet feels the same way. I will let you know this afternoon how it goes.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for all the sadness and pain in your family right now.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loving, hugging headbuts and be at peace and painlessness licks from KittenKiya's Clan. Our hearts and spirits will be there with you as you go through this very difficult time.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have good news for everyone! Ginger actually checked out in tip-top shape...good heart, some cataracts in her eyes, and her hind quarters are stricken with terrible osteoarthritis...vet game us Rimadyl samples to try for the joint pain...that's why she's been collapsing and having accidents. He felt that she has some good time to share with us yet. Gave her the first dose last night, and another this morning, and just right now, she's come out to the living room to kiss me on her own!!! She's outside right now, going potty in the right spot, too!!! Yay!!! I'm so thrilled we don't have to face this with her quite yet! Gives us something wonderful to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!!! Have a wonderful holiday, everyone!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

Gives us something wonderful to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!!! Have a wonderful holiday, everyone!
This is amazing news! What a Happy Thanksgiving this is turning out to be.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are thrilled!!! I just gave her a good brushing/combing, and she's as happy as can be. I'm going to bring her back a few leftovers from the meal today...and her age, why the heck not? We're also going to get her a new cushy bed to help relieve the joint pain.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wookie130

I have good news for everyone! Ginger actually checked out in tip-top shape...good heart, some cataracts in her eyes, and her hind quarters are stricken with terrible osteoarthritis...vet game us Rimadyl samples to try for the joint pain...that's why she's been collapsing and having accidents. He felt that she has some good time to share with us yet. Gave her the first dose last night, and another this morning, and just right now, she's come out to the living room to kiss me on her own!!! She's outside right now, going potty in the right spot, too!!! Yay!!! I'm so thrilled we don't have to face this with her quite yet! Gives us something wonderful to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!!! Have a wonderful holiday, everyone!
Oh, yes, we went through that with our Cardigan Corgi- it's awful!
We also gave him Glucosamine supplements- sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, but it did for him for a while. Then we moved on the Deramax for a 2-3 years. The meds did buy us a few extra years with him, and I am greatful for those years
. I am SO GLAD the meds are helping!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am sorry, I just saw this thread right now...

I am glad Ginger is doing alot better, that is great news
What a little trooper..

I am sorry about your grandfather..I can't imagine 3 heart attacks and cancer, wow that man has been through alot..I am sending prayers his way