OOPS!! Cat in heat!!

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought I had time but I was mistaken: ...Ok..heres my question...for two days Kitty Girl was crawling around and cackling..not to bad. Now she acts like she does not feel good. She is eating , but she is doing alot of sleeping.
Alot of what I was like with PMS. Is this normal? How long will this last?
I want to get her fixed A.S.A.P.
How will I know? Any info will be welcomed.
Thanks!:

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1st of all welcome to TCS
Well - if she is in heat you really need to keep her indoors, cos, well you know, any toms out there will soon know and they´ll come and mate with her !
They can start heats as young as 4 mths - so depending on your vet (some wont operate until 6mths) she does need spaying soon ! Her heat can last from several days to 2 weeks
she will call out and sort of lay down at the front but have her back end up high - this is usually referred to as "presenting" which means she is ready for a male !
So keep her in ! and speak to your vet about an appointment
Good Luck

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello & Welcome to you & your kitty. I would suggest talking to your vet to see when s/he is comfortable with spaying Kitty Girl. One vet around here will spay when they are in heat, but the other two won't.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Kitty Girl
She will survive this...will you?
Her heat should only last a few days, but you should make her spay appointment soon. You can also post your question in Pregnant Cat & Kitten forum, or the Behavior Forum, and I'm sure you'll get more advice there too

If you need any help finding your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username & send me a private message

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the Cat Site - you'll get lots of good advice here (I'm afraid I can't offer any on this particular topic). I hope you and Kitty Girl stick around.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to welcome you and kittygirl to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

Hopefully Kittygirl will be out of heat soon, it's not pleasant but it doesn't last for long. As others had said, call your Vet and see how soon they will be comfortable spaying her after her heat has finished.

Our Vet agreed to take Lily as soon as she came out of her first heat, we just had to phone up the day before. Hopefully your Vet will be the same.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When female cats are in heat, they don't think about anything else but mating - they will sometimes stop eating, they don't get a lot of sleep and it is hard on their little systems. A few days of rest and good food will bring her right as rain again.

If you need a listing of resources for low- or no-cost spay/neuter in your area, here is a great web site to find them:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#oh

Best of luck with your girl and welcome to TCS.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Laurie314 and Kitty Girl:

If Kitty Girl is four months old or older, she can be spayed, the sooner, the better! If she hasn't had her baseline innoculations, she'll need those, too. I would make an appointment as soon as possible for her examination, innoculations, and to ask the vet about spaying.

GOOD LUCK AND THANK YOU for loving her and caring about her!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your photobucket slide-show would be too big for your signature line, but you can insert any image up to 640px wide and 150px high (including text) at a max file size of 30,000b (30kb) by clicking on user CP at the top of the page and then edit signature on the left column.

I made a tutorial here that may help you

If you would like a signature made for you, you can post links to your photos and any details in this thread then when someone makes you one, they will post it in this thread and you can save it as in my tutorial

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Dear Laurie314 and Kitty Girl:

If Kitty Girl is four months old or older, she can be spayed, the sooner, the better!
Cats can be spayed quite a bit younger then 4 months! I wouldn't wait that long! But to the OP I would look into getting it done ASAP.

Where in Ohio do you live? I live in Kent and I might be able to help you find low cost clinics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks...I have a vet...going this week...both KittyGirl and Angel
Whats the idea on declawing...I had cats 20 years ago and they did it different....i am not sure..I think it is cruel the way they do it now!
Just in case they get out by accident ,I want them to have some defense!