Alright! I'm kicking the Feline Pine to the curb! What next!?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just can't get into the Feline Pine... we seem to go through it way more than what everyone says is normal, I have the hardest time trying to scoop it, and Chad doesn't think it works good on the smell (it's not that bad but you can definetely tell we have cats some times, even with daily scooping!)

What should I try next???

We were using a clumping litter, then switched to FP.... what else is out there?!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I liked Worlds Best, the cats didn't agree though so I just went back to regular clumping litter.

iamluckysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With my cats, and I have had 6 now. Most cats like sand. It's soft and fun on their feet and it doesn't hurt their paws, good scoopable cat litter will not dust up everywhere and lats a good time. Scoop Away. Now if your cat is like mine they do like to get in there and spread their paws and throw it like confetti, but that is my cats and they like the way I get all pissy and moany when I sweep it up. I am their slave you know.....

Seriously, Scoop Away is dollar for dollar a good value and cats like it.

And don't buy those stupid cardboard corregated bs scratching things. They are the biggest mess in the world. I would rather they tear up the couch then pick up that crap.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried yesterday's news? I use it with my ferrets and it works wonders on the smell, plus it doesn't get stuck in thier paws and track everywhere. Right now I'm using the clumping litter with my kitten, but I think I'm going to switch him to yesterday's news too.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using yesterdays news for the kittens at the moment (incase they try to eat it). It seems ok at covering the smell. I prefer Worlds Best litter, or something similar that clumps and is made from corn so is flushable. For me the clumping and dust are the big issues.
SO if they're adult cats, Worlds best is good. If you're Canadian, Presidents choice makes something similar. If you don't mind non clumping, but want low tracking Yesterdays News is also good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by iamluckysmom

Seriously, Scoop Away is dollar for dollar a good value and cats like it.

And don't buy those stupid cardboard corregated bs scratching things. They are the biggest mess in the world. I would rather they tear up the couch then pick up that crap.
We like the scratchers at my house!!! I assume we're talking about the same thing- but I haven't noticed them getting all scratched into pieces. Maybe you could try flipping it over or getting a new refill sooner. I haven't done that to either of ours but our older one is getting a little ratty looking & I can see that I'll need to do that soon. Maybe you are letting them scratch it for too long?

Originally Posted by Sylorna

I'm using yesterdays news for the kittens at the moment (incase they try to eat it). It seems ok at covering the smell. I prefer Worlds Best litter, or something similar that clumps and is made from corn so is flushable. For me the clumping and dust are the big issues.
SO if they're adult cats, Worlds best is good. If you're Canadian, Presidents choice makes something similar. If you don't mind non clumping, but want low tracking Yesterdays News is also good.
We used Yesterdays News a loooooooong time ago when I lived with my parents- we got our two cats declawed and used that so they didn't get anything stuck in their paws. I haven't used it since though.

Well I am going to Petsmart for a whole car load of stuff- time to stock up! I'll check into Yesterdays News, Scoop Away, and the Worlds Best (I checked and it's sold in a lot of places around me!!
) and I think I have noticed a lot of posts by people that use Fresh Step (? I think that's what it was?) I'll just bring my calculator with me and see what works out to be the best deal! My main concern is everything
- price, how long it lasts, how well it clumps (I HATE non-clumping!), and smells!

By the way- Maui is an adult now and the kits are 16 weeks today. So far Maui is the only one that likes to play in the litter box like it's his personal sand box

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah, I'm using Tidy Cats multi-cat scoopable and Scoop Away right now, both are good odor controllers, about the same on tracking. Scoop Away clumps LIKE A ROCK, but it has a very strong perfumey smell and is a bit dusty, IMO, but the kitties don't seem to mind. Tidy Cat clumps well, but not quite as well as the Scoop Away, but is less dusty and no perfumey odor. I've seen a few rave reviews for Arm & Hammer on here, so if there's ever a good sale plus coupons I will try that, Fresh Step seems a bit pricey to me, but it might be ok for you as you probably don't have 10 litterboxes to fill

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use Scoop away but it's way too dusty, I could feel it in my lungs so what is it doing to my cats!!!!

I use Arm and Hammer now and they never had a problem switching over, and I like it too!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I used to use Scoop away but it's way too dusty, I could feel it in my lungs so what is it doing to my cats!!!!

I use Arm and Hammer now and they never had a problem switching over, and I like it too!
I'm going to phase out the Scoop Away as soon as I find another litter I like, due to the dust as well as that perfumey smell
does the A&H have a sandy consistency? The kitties seem to like that, the Tidy Cats is kinda like little tiny balls

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have just finished a Litter Experiment and here is what I found. With 4 adults, 2 7 mo olds, and the seven fosters in the house I put Tidy Cats Crystals in 2 boxes, FreshStep clumping in 2 boxes and AH High Performance in 2 boxes. The kittens seem to prefer the FreshStep. The adults cats use the Crystals the most. But I dumped the A&H High Performance because the sawdust consistency just tracks everywhere, especially if you have a mad digger like our Annie. She would come out of the litter box just covered in litter. As for smell the Tidy Cats and FreshStep were about equal, the A&H did nothing for the smell.
I have one LitterMaid with FreshStep in it that is the all time fav of everyone in the house.

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use either Cheshire (cheap, hard-clumping grocery store brand) or Fresh Step/Arm and Hammer (The huge tubs of it if I go to Walmart, which isn't often. I can get them closer, but only in little $5 boxes, and the grocery store brand is far cheaper for the same effect. $6 for over twice the amount.).

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I'm going to phase out the Scoop Away as soon as I find another litter I like, due to the dust as well as that perfumey smell
does the A&H have a sandy consistency? The kitties seem to like that, the Tidy Cats is kinda like little tiny balls
arm & hammer is nice and sandy. clumps really well too. the guys and i prefer the unscented formula. lately we've been using arm & hammer and a grocery store unscented scoop. we did give target's store brand (pet essentials) a try, it gets several paws up because it's like the old tidy cats formula. very sandy, and clumps well. i just don't like the strong floral scent. it's alot like the old tidy cats in the blue tub.

i've heard, but haven't tried, fresh step's new carbon release formula is supposed to be alot less floral than it used to be.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Im glad im not the only one having problems!

I hadnt posted it on here because it seems like im always wanting to switch litters. But FP is also not working for us. We are going through way too much of that stuff. I mean I bought a bag thats supposed to be a 4 weeks supply and it lasted a week and a day!! Also, I cannot stand the smell when she poos and I hate scooping the poo because she hardly covers it.

Ive tried A&H but I could only find the scented kind and the smell made me gag. Im buying in bulk now, i'll probably try Tidy Cats next. I just want something that clumps and doesnt smell to high heaven!

Have you tried Cats Pride? It is very cheap but I have not been able to bring myself to try it because I dont know if it clumps?

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
have gone back and forth over the years(and depending on medical issues, prefereances of cats) right now im using fresh step scoop for all 22(including a 8 week kitten who has been using scoop since he started walking(guy who gave him to me said thats what hed been trained with-not my first choice but hes healthy enough
i used worlds best it wasn't that bad except went stale very fast and i had a cat who due to health issues would try to eat it. feline pine never worked for mine just cause they never adjusted to it

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to throw what I like to call my "advertisment" for cat attract out there. (Frankly with the number of times I've told people to use it I think they owe me some money) I love cat attract. Since I switched well over a year ago, I can't imagine using anything else. It's come down in price a little and is much easier to find than when I first started using it (maybe it's my advertisements
) I used to use W.B the cats were fine with it, but it was a little on the dusty side for Jordan (He has very mild asthma). At the time I had 2 covered boxes & 1 uncovered. The uncovered got used once a day by Jordan (I'm sure he was just marking it). Well I switched that box to Cat Attract & they used it 6 or 7 times a day
So I took that as a hint an switched. I never had any issue with anyone going outside the box, they just seemed to prefer the cat attract. With 4 cats in 400 square feet I figure it can't hurt to use something formulated for cats who don't like the box. As far as I can tell it's got less dust & contains more smell than any other litter I have used. I scoope twice a day, but having 3 boxes in 400 square feet odor control is a huge issue for me. I did try the stuff for small spaces thinking it might track less. Well it didn't track any less and I had to dump the box in less than a week. With the Cat Attract I dump & scrub the box ever 2 weeks to once a month.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also love cat attract, but when you've got 5 cats....$$$$$!
I also like Scoop Away, but it's dusty & odorous, Tidy Cats, but it doesn't blump so well, & I LOVE Arm & Hammer's New High Performance Natural Litter. It has a smell to it, but the kits & I still like it. The only problem for me is $. IT's rather $$$ as I can only get it in a grocery store.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the clumping Tidy Cats Scoop Crystals Blend, and it seems to clump really well for me, even though I have one cat who wees in the front of the box, in the same place, and doesn't cover it
- and my boxes don't get scooped everyday, as my cats are indoor/outdoor and don't use them every day. Needless to say, it also works really, really well on odor control!

I tried a flushable litter from WM in a new box I added in our bathroom for my eldest cat (don't remember what it was called, but it was scoopable and tan/brown in color) and it had a sickening sweet smell to it
, didn't control the odor well at all- which made for a really sick smell
- and I went back to the Tidy Cats Blend, and she is much happier with it too, apparently

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's Miracle is the best--and we tried Feline Pine beforehand!

It's organic, it clumps beautifully, there is no smell, and it's reasonably priced. I just got some new bags of it on amazon.com

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use the poor mans WB ... chicken egg layer crumble ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For those of you that use Nature's Miracle- where do you get yours?

I tried to google it to find local dealers but didn't come up with much
I think I may stop by our feed store this weekend or next time I get out of work early to check into the corn stuff

Before the Feline Pine we were using the Scoopable Tidy Cats... the only reason I really switched was because we were going through a ton of it and I had heard some rave reviews about FP. If Tidy Cats sold the clumping litter in those big 20# (?) bags life would be perfect, but alas.... I can only find nonclumping and that stuff makes me nuts!