Do boy cat's personalities change after being neutered ?

sezer geezer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 5 and a half month old boy kitten whom we had always planned to be neutered, but now i have grown so attached to him i would like to know if the operation would affect his personality ? He's very lively, playful and boisterous and i dont want this to change. Can anyone offer any advice or experience ? Thanks. Meoww. Purrr.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not notice a thing in mine, but I had mine done very early (3 months). He is now 7 months and now lets us sleep at night but nothing happened dramatically right away, probably because of his age?

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've not noticed any change in mine following neutering. If anything they just become more affectionate.

You really do need to have him neutered. You don't say whether he is an indoor or an outdoor cat but if he goes out he obviously needs to be neutered otherwise he'll be making a substantial contribution to the local cat population, and if he stays indoors he'll likely be spraying everywhere and trying to escape at every opportunity.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At his age you aren't going to notice any change in his personality when he's neutered. Neutering will stop personality and behavior changes from happening that will be negative as far as his being a good companion in your house. He will probably start spraying, getting outside and staying gone for long periods of time, and he will become more territorial.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My 4 six month old males were neutered and they have not changed. Still, playful, and maybe more affectionate (but it's probably because I babied them a lot after the operation).
I have also 3 other adults (former strays) that were fixed as adults. The spraying stopped (although not immediately) but the other things like fighting and strong territorial instincts are still there. I've been told that once toms experienced victory in a "macho" showdown, it becomes part of their personality. Ashley and Wawa sure prove it.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Still, playful, and maybe more affectionate (but it's probably because I babied them a lot after the operation).
LOL! Me too!

My Duke is six months old right now. We just got him neutered a little over a week ago. He's just as rambunctious as ever! I've noticed no change. I recall reading somewhere that cats that are altered before they reach sexual maturity stay kitten-like much longer than an intact cat would.

I definitely recomend neutering. I had a dog when I was younger that was not neutered and we had a really hard time with him. He was very territorial of me (to the extent that he would threaten anyone who even jokingly tried to get aggressive with me). Also, he tried to escape every chance he got and often enough he was successful. He was even hit by a car once! He survived it, but it was terrifying! Oh, and this was a huge german shepherd dog who was mostly capable of taking care of himself, so imagine what could happen to your little kitty! You owe it to your baby to spare him that kind of thing.

OT - what kind of cat is he? Whats his name? Any other kitties??? Good luck!!!

Tiffany

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sezer geezer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all of the replies. Its a relief to hear everyones kitty didnt change negatively after the op. We feel more confident about having him done and are going to book him in asap. Sezer is a black and white putty tat, he's our first and only cat.
Thanks again, if anyone else has other experiences, please post them.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recently fostered two male kittens and had them both neutered during their stay. They were about 3-months-old at the time. Neutering didn't change their behavior at all. They were as crazy, playful and rambunctious as ever afterward. My own male cat, Peter, was neutered at 4 months and I adopted him several months later. He's 2-years-old now and still crazy!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ferris was just neutered a month ago at 5 months old, and while his basic personality itself has not changed, his aggression level has changed, and for the better.

He, a feral rescue, used to play with a very wild look in his eye, now he plays in much the same way, but you can tell that he is definitely more playful, without that "I mean BUSINESS!" look in his eyes.

He used to be much more nippy, and in the last month, the only nip I received from him was a love bite on my knuckles so that I would keep petting him.

He's still a sweetie, but is even MORE so, now. And for him the transformation took place the same day as his neuter - he came home a nicer kitty to be around!

Now, if there was any way to keep him from getting into trouble when I'm at work, well, I'd like to know about it!

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, but cats do change over time and settle down a bit.. I will also tell you that I swear my female got even more rambuxious after her spay 10 days ago!!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No. His personality will change if he isn't neutered, though - he'll start spraying all over and he'll want to be outside all the time and then he'll get in fights and worse. Neutering will keep his sweet kitten personality intact. He'll naturally become less playful as he grows to adulthood but he'll still have the same basic temperament.

dch123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had our 1 year old male neutered yesterday. He came from the shelter, so he was neutered "late" compared to many others. Prior to this, he was very friendly, but he also walked around meowing a lot. I think he wanted to get out and find a girl cat. So far, the meowing has stopped, and he doesn't seem to want to get outside. He is still very loving, if not more. When we first got him home, we was nutso, playing with all of his toys (some that he ignored before), but today he seems back to his old self, without the wanting to get outside part. I have also heard the pee will eventually be much less strong smelling, which is a good thing.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar didn't change at all when we had him neutered at 6 months old. He's now 11 months old and still very lively and playful.

I think you're more likely to see behavioural changes if you don't get them neutered - trying to get out to find a mate, increased play-aggression, frustrated pacing and yowling because they want to mate, and worst of all territorial marking - not just spraying, but peeing and pooing in inappropriate places to spread their scent around their territory

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure does change them - for the better. They remain more loving and no thoughts on "finding that pretty girl down the street".

I've also heard if neutered young (under 6 months) they retain the kitten mentality longer.

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my boy Palas neutered between 4 and 5 mos. He is now 7 mos and I have not noticed any change at all in him. He was and is always very well behaved and receptive to what I'm saying (probably more my voice inflections) or doing. That hasn't changed at all. He still comes and sits on my face when I wake up in the morning if I sleep in the livingroom with them (they aren't allowed in my bedroom).

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only did neither of my boys change (one was about 4 months and the other was a young adult who was a stray that I found) you couldn't even tell they'd had surgery. They were their normal selves right away. Go for the neutering. You don't know a nasty smell until a cat sprays.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fred was my first cat, and he was neutered at around 5 years old. (I didn't know the importance of neutering back then) He was still my same sweet, adorable baby that he always was.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing neutering changes in male cats is this:
it makes them less h0rny (no more dry humping your bunny slippers or your girlcats) and it also makes them less "stalkerish".

All 5 of my male cats, ranging in age from 2 yrs up to 16 years, are neutered! And I can't say I noticed any negative result from neutering them. They didn't hiss or ignore me or act like I was some savage for removing their manparts! I was only helping them, after all.

They do still get 'feelings', I think, because the boycats still do stalk the other cats, get cases of "the crazies" where they run around the house all wild-eyed and primal... and well in Snicker's wild youth (post-neutering) he used to try to get it on with Dusty, his younger sister. But he was gentler and of course unsuccessful; and she tolerated it.

He stopped doing that a few years back though. Old age and arthritis caught up and he doesn't want to get his groove on.

But yeah, neutering is BY FAR way better than leaving them intact. If ya give the Bob Barker treatment, then there is no threat of adding to the unwanted pet population.

meistersar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't noticed any change in either my male or female cats since they got fixed. They're 3 years old now, and we got them fixed when they were about 6 months old.

They're still friendly and act as they always have, though Sven (the boy) is a bit lazier than he used to be... but that might just be because he's moving out of kitten years.

juliekorhorn01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 month old kitten is not as playful after neutering. I wish I never would of had him neutered. He use to play non stop and was so much fun to walk and now he plays very little. How sad this is to me.