Attn : Banoffee Pie Self-Help Group (photos)

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So DH suggested Banoffee Pie for our Christmas pudding ! Well I´d never made one before
so I thought I do a practise run...........

So followed the recipe to the letter, and felt rather pleased with the visual results !

BUT the caramel layer was way too hard
what went wrong

here are the ingredients (for the caramel layer)
175g (6oz) butter
85g (3oz) caster sugar
85g (3oz) dark brown soft sugar
397g can Carnation Condensed Milk

and the method
To make the caramel, place the butter and the sugars in a non-stick saucepan over a low heat, stirring until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Add the condensed milk and, stirring continuously; bring gently to the boil, to make a smooth, golden caramel. Spread the caramel over the biscuit base and chill for about 1½ hours.

here some snaps - thought it looked pretty yummy -

So come on all you bakers - What did I do wrong

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of Banoffee...but it looks yummy! (Except for the bananas, that is!
)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I can think is that you overcooked it. Those sugar mixtures can be very touchy.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks yummy
But yeah if its too hard, I would think over cooked as well. could you go with a thinner layer of the caramel and more of the softer stuff so that even if it is hard a thin layer is easy to munch, chew, crunch on!!?? I dont' know.. But I'd still try to eat it!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

could you go with a thinner layer of the caramel and more of the softer stuff so that even if it is hard a thin layer is easy to munch, chew, crunch on!!
I thought there seemed to be loads of the stuff ..........my dish was only 2" smaller that suggested, so I thought it´d be OK, guess not

I am going to have another go, my worry is, when do I know it is cooked to the right consistency and not overcooked

oh and I´ll use a larger dish

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yum-O!!!! that looks delish
bananas and toffee, what a strange and wonderful combination

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend says you are probably cooking it too hot and/or too long. You want to cook it just until it turns to a caramel color (like an ice cream topping consistency), go another minute or 2 then immediately pour it into your pan. Do NOT scrape the bottom of the pan - it will be hotter and if mixed into the pie, it will get too hard.

Caramel is tricky - it turns from ice cream topping to candy within minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

My friend says you are probably cooking it too hot and/or too long. You want to cook it just until it turns to a caramel color (like an ice cream topping consistency), go another minute or 2 then immediately pour it into your pan. Do NOT scrape the bottom of the pan - it will be hotter and if mixed into the pie, it will get too hard.

Caramel is tricky - it turns from ice cream topping to candy within minutes.
Oh thanks
sounds like DH picked a rather tricky dish then eh
timing sounds the key with the caramel - hum - maybe I could cheat and just buy some ready made caramel

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is too funny, I was just talking about making a banoffee pie the other day. It's one of my old faves, and always a hit.
I cheat - simmer the unopened can of condensed milk in a large enough pot for 2 1/2 hours. Take out, leave to cool for an hour or so, then voila, yummy toffee. Everyone will tell you to never boil an unopened can, but I'm careful and have never had any problems.

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yum.... banoffi pie :-)

I made one last week and I also cheat with the caramel.... I use the microwave!

Put your condensed milk in a big bowl and cover with film. Zap it on high in the microwave for 1 minute, take it out, stir it, put the film back, zap it on high for another minute, take it out, stir it, etc..... repeat this until the milk turns to caramel (it changes colour and gets thicker).

You need to be really careful as the mixture expands and gets VERY hot. You can add a bit of water if it's getting too thick. When you're happy with the colour / consistency just spread it over your chilled biscuit base and continue as you did for your own recipe.

It works every time - takes a bit of patience but it's totally worth it and your caramel will be great!