WARNING:Do not decorate or open any gifts before you read this!!!!!!!!!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody

It is that magical time of year- trees to be decorated, pretty gifts to open. I just want to make sure everyone is aware of the dangers certain holiday decorations pose to our little furry friends.

String, tinsel, ribbon, curly bows and even tape- all pose danger if ingested by our pets. The string/ribbon can become twisted around the intestines and other vital organs and the results can be devestating
If your see or think your kitty has gotten into one of these items- seek vet attention immediatly! The vet will do an x-ray and explain treatment option with you. Surgery will most likely be required if the string/ribbon is entangled in the digestive system.

If you notice a string or ribbon hanging from your pets um.... rear area, NEVER EVER EVER! pull at it! If you see something hanging, again, seek immediate vet care. Pulling on it can tear the intestines or rupture some internal organ resulting in excruciating pain or death

Sorry to put any damper on the holiday spirit, but its better safe than sorry
I personally dont use tinsel on our tree, and I make sure to immediatly throw away any string/ribbon/curly bows/tape away as soon as I open anything. We all know how quickly (cats especially) our pets can grab something-and theyre off running with it
and how hard it is to get it back before they swallow it! So please,please,please be extra careful this time of year. It can be dangerous for those we love and care about.

Marge

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the reminder Marge!

There are plenty of kitty-safe decorations out there to make the season just as festive and most of all SAFE for our whole families.

I just want to add to keep an eye on kitty to make sure they aren't chewing on light cords, and if they do look like they are interested, use Bitter Apple or vinegar to make the cords unattractive to them.

Be careful with garland, as well as tinsel and ribbons. I tried garland once...just once and for a short period of time. It was irresistable to the cats!

If you have a fresh tree, keep the cats from drinking the water from the tree stand. There is something in the sap that makes that water toxic to cats. Use screen or mesh over the top of the water reservoir so you can still easily water and see the level of water, but so they can't get to it.

One more word of warning...when buying presents for the kits, look at them with a critical eye. I've seen so many "cat toys" with small parts that would be so easy for them to chew off and swallow - especially eyes made of beads and little ears made of felt, and even tails made of ribbon. There is obviously no standard of what is safe in the cat toy industry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Heidi for the reminder about the light cords
I forgot about that one! And I did'nt even know about christmas tree water being toxic!!! My cats will try to drink out of anything! Thank you for that warning

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Guys!!!
I really appreciate the warning...I have been dreading the whole tree/ornament thing....I am not having good feelings about it....I don't use any of that stuff though.

I did want to add though, not about decorations, but about the toys your kids will get. Those Barbie dolls that come wrapped in 900 clear tiny tiny little rubber bands that go flying across the room when your trying to get the doll out, those are a danger to your pet as well. And for some reason they are irresistable to kitties. I have had to wrestle 2 of them out of LuckyGirl's mouth after Jazzy's b-day party. And I was careful, but 2 of them flew away and she was quicker than I was....
So be careful, and make sure your kids are aware too. This way they can help to pick up any dangerous little pieces that could be harmful.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd just like to add that many stores carry shatterproof ornaments. That's all I'm using on my tree this year!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thankyou for posting that holiday reminder marge- you never know, you may have just saved a kitty from a very tragic death

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thankyou for posting those holiday reminders everyone- you never know, you may have just saved a kitty from a very tragic death

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reminder! I had to pry a rubber band away from Anya this morning. I have NO IDEA where she found it. I try to be so careful about keeping everything tucked away in drawers, etc.

In the same vein as this thread, does anyone have any auggestions for keeping your cats disinterested in or just out of things like your Christmas tree? I've heard that citrus/orange scented things work? Anyone have experience with this? Any other suggestions or ideas? I'm willing to try anything.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for the reminders!

I also wanted to add that in the past I have had a problem with my kitties actually biting into the actual lights. So be on guard for that also!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by emily_325

Thanks for the reminder! I had to pry a rubber band away from Anya this morning. I have NO IDEA where she found it. I try to be so careful about keeping everything tucked away in drawers, etc.

In the same vein as this thread, does anyone have any auggestions for keeping your cats disinterested in or just out of things like your Christmas tree? I've heard that citrus/orange scented things work? Anyone have experience with this? Any other suggestions or ideas? I'm willing to try anything.
I posted this in another thread in Behavior, gleaned from years of reading advice around here:

Some tips to save the tree:

1. Tie helium, mylar balloons to the tree and set a fan on low that will blow onto the balloons. The movement highers up makes the cat think that it's a big critter and should leave it alone.

2. It may not be pretty, but tie a few of the car air fresheners (you know, like the trees that hang from the rear view mirror) in citrus scents around the bottom of the tree. Most cats don't like citrus and will avoid it. You can also get the non-hanging long-lasting air fresheners (like Air Wick) in citrus and put a couple of those around the bottom of the tree.

3. This takes a little more work, but mix up some vinegar and water and spray the tree every few days. Remember that their noses are much more sensative than ours, so it doesn't have to be strong to deter them.

4. If you have a real tree, it is really important to keep them away from the water! The sap from the tree is toxic to cats, and if they are drinking the water it can mean a trip to the emergency vet. Use screen material or mesh to put on top of the open water, securely fastened, to keep kitty out of the water.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its great that someone posted this reminder!!!!! After all, cats like to climb so whats more perfect then a tree inside! A few more tips are indoor outdoor lights inside are safer. Make sure your tree is very sturdy in its setting, especially real trees!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the safety tips. It's easy to overlook something that could harm your pet. Hopefully everyone will read this so there aren't any problems.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, is to be carefull with christmas treats such a chocolate. This is more of a problem with dogs than cats I guess. But thier common around holidays and poisonous if ingested.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, is to be carefull with christmas treats such a chocolate. This is more of a problem with dogs than cats I guess. But thier common around holidays and poisonous if ingested.[/quote]
Absolutely correct! Another is Poinsettas are very poisonous.....also if your pets can get to the water of your natural tree, do not put in tree food. Cold water does a good job helping longevity of your tree and keeping away from direct heat vents.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Absolutely correct! Another is Poinsettas are very poisonous......
Yes! I forgot about poinsettas! They are very dangerous if pets get into them.Thanks cheylink

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wouldn't it just be easier to get a large picture of a pretty Christmas tree?

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a large picture of a pretty Christmas tree?
yup- clean-up would be a breeze to