Thai Cat Breed _ TICA board meeting

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello It has been some time since I have posted to The Cat Site. I come by today with some concerns I would like breeders opinions on.

Do any of the Siamese breeders here register their cats in the TICA? Is there any difference between the TICA at this site http://www.ticaeo.com and the TICA at this site http://www.tica.org ?

I just learned there are some movements a foot in the TICA concerning the THAI breed (Old Style Siamese). Thai breed is a registration only breed and is on the agenda for the Semi-Annual Meeting in February. You can read documents concerning this in the agenda pages 170-175 http://www.tica.org/binary/pdf/eo/me...ual_agenda.pdf

It sounds like they are trying to lock out American old style Siamese breeders. I didn't even know they had a Thai registry. I am not involved with the TICA and it was very very difficult for me to even find information from them on the THAI breed. Was there a time when American breeders had a choice to register their old style Siamese as Thai? When I looked at the records TICA has for THAI they only show two litters being registered in the past year and they only list one breeder of Thai. I am unable to find any information on the Newtown Square, Pennsylvania breeder listed on the application for acceptance as a preliminary new breed.

Does anyone have any information or opinions on what is going on with this as it concerns the old style siamese?

Thank you for your time,
Mia

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not in favor of it as it essentially wipes out the history of Siamese cats - ALL Siamese cats - in order to present the Old-Style cats as a "new" breed. They aren't a "new" breed, they are the foundation of the Modern Siamese and as such, should be recognized AS Siamese - not some other name. Be very careful which of the Old-Style Siamese "preservation" sites you read and believe, as there are some out there who say one thing and do quite another.

This was brought to my attention recently by another breeder whose opinion, advice and input I deeply respect. It is a sad day for Siamese when those who wish to see the Old-Style cats back on the show bench will resort to whatever efforts, no matter how shady, to see that happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding Gaye. Do you use TICA as a registry?
I would love to hear from some TICA breeders as to how the politics of this work. Is this a democratic system where TICA breeders opinions can be voiced? Do members of the board represent all the breeders in this matter?

I understand your position on the Old-Style Siamese preservation sites. I was privy to a conversation where the preservation organization president said they were going to play both sides of the fence and see what happens. I don't understand how that is helpful to the Siamese breeds preservation.

p.s. On a side note....Gaye are Pearl and George from your Lexus and Tonka?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mia mouse

Thank you for responding Gaye. Do you use TICA as a registry?
I would love to hear from some TICA breeders as to how the politics of this work. Is this a democratic system where TICA breeders opinions can be voiced? Do members of the board represent all the breeders in this matter?
No, My cats are registered with CFA and CFF. But it should be the same, if not then at least similar in most all of the registry associations ... there is a breed council and the breeder/members make up the vote. If you are against it, then I encourage you to join TICA as a member (you don't have to be a breeder to join) and join the Breed Council email group. Make your voice heard.

I understand your position on the Old-Style Siamese preservation sites. I was privy to a conversation where the preservation organization president said they were going to play both sides of the fence and see what happens. I don't understand how that is helpful to the Siamese breeds preservation.
The short answer here is that it doesn't help the breed at all - it hurts the ENTIRE breed, not just Old-Style Siamese.

p.s. On a side note....Gaye are Pearl and George from your Lexus and Tonka?
Yes, they are! They were born on June 7th of this year.