Update on Kirra's seizures and health

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I took Kirra in for a check up today and the vet is still concerned about her seizures especially after the one just before halloween. He thinks any stimulation could cause one, anytime her heart rate jumps basically. So we have to becarefull not to over stimulate her. He said if she starts having seziures more than 1-2 a month than he wants a CBCsmack done and go from there. Meanwhile he said had we not pegged her age by her teeth he said there is no way that you could convience him by looking at her taht she is 6 months. He said that based on her bone structure and how fast she is growing (she was 6lbs last month and 8lbs this month) that she possible has maincoon in her blood line somewhere. She is overweight already(based on how her body looks and the fatpads he felt) he said the sway she has is heavy with fatpads.

So the plan of action for that he said, no raw meat diet for her, to high in fat for as big as she is and with her seziures he would rather i dont.He had me switch her from kitten food to adult food, he said the kitten food promotes growth and he is very concerned about has fast she is growing, he said she will probley top at 11lbs but he is gonna go by how her body looks not the weight as to how healthy her weight is.He is concerned that if she keeps growing at the rate she is it could cause more health problems for her. All wet food is to be stopped, to much fat.

So we shall see how this goes, she gets 1/3 a cup of food 3X's a day, she wont be happy ROFL.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck with the set feedings!
How on earth does the vet excpet you to keep Kirra from getting overstimulated?

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with it, it will be hard if you have to watch stimulation, as they need exercise to help with weight loss. i do disagree with your vet about wet food though, I know loads of people on here have had good success with weight loss on it,as I have I.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The very overweight Kitties UPstairs are losing weight safely on a dry food diet. There are always exceptions.

You can probably pet your cat and have some quiet playtime with it, nothing too athletic.

I hope that your cat is better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

Good luck with it, it will be hard if you have to watch stimulation, as they need exercise to help with weight loss. i do disagree with your vet about wet food though, I know loads of people on here have had good success with weight loss on it,as I have I.
yes they can loose weight on wet food, i have had cats in the past that do, but the reason my vet said no wet food, only dry and adult food is kirra can not excerise like she needs to to loose weight, weightloss for animal or human is 80% diet, you would be amazed how much weight you can loose by changing your food intake alone and NEVER excerising.

Kirra can not have her heart rate up there were it needs to to loose the weight, he said 5mins or less of active playtime, and if she gets spooked he is seriously concerned she will seiz. She is going to our local petmobile for her shots as my vet is 24 while the mobile is 12 in total and my vet said his only concern is that standing in line with barking dogs could stress her out enough to trigger a seizure. Luckly they will come to your car to vaccinate if the animal can not come to them.

Kirra is basically my special needs kitty.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahhh the joys of keeping a kitten calm and not getting them to excited. I went threw that with Bagheera. Not an easy task. If he started playing to rough or getting to excited I would just pick him up and cuddle him or put him in his room with some food for a few minutes. He usually fell asleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

Ahhh the joys of keeping a kitten calm and not getting them to excited. I went threw that with Bagheera. Not an easy task. If he started playing to rough or getting to excited I would just pick him up and cuddle him or put him in his room with some food for a few minutes. He usually fell asleep.
yeah thats about what i am doing with kirra. if she gets to worked up i pick her up talking calming to her but if she still insist she wants to play and run and get overworked, i put here in her carrier for a bit. She loves that thing, it has wool lined base and one side is screened the other just a flat wall. if you leave the door open she goes and lays inside it rofl. so at least she doesnt cry forever when she is in it, calms her right down.