Someone help me! I've never mailed a package before!!!!

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok- Don't laugh at me!
but I have never mailed a box/package before
I have no idea what to do!!!! I know how to seal it up etc.... my problem is how to address it and what not
Do I have to buy some special label from the post office? Or just make up one on my own? Then postage.... I assume they weigh it at the post office and will put the postage on it there? Do I have to do anything else? If anyone has a box that they are sending or have recieved can you post a pic of how the labels look? PLEASE? I am so nervous about messing this up

Thank you in advance for your help

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have my camera with me at work, but I usually just wrap the box in brown shipping paper (available from the post office) and write the address on like you would on an envelope (return addy top left - and recipient addy center and bigger)

If it is going across any country borders (in your case Canada or abroad), you need to get a customs sticker also from the post office. Plus if it is going airmail it would need an airmal sticker (they will have everything you need at the post office)

They will weigh it at the post office and tell you the different costs for sending it different methods of delivery and print the postage label (or give you stamps)

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No special labels are required. Just make sure it's well sealed, and you have the address it's going to and the return address on it. I always use black marker to put them on, and put on in large letters so very visible, particularly the recipient's address. The post office will do everything else for you, including weighing and putting the postage on plus any special stickers it may need. You'll have to fill out some customs forms if it is going out of the country - you do that at the post office too

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't worry, they aren't terribly picky about it at the post office.
And they will help you if it isn't to their specs.

I just use a regular piece of paper (if the package is big enough, or folded in half if it's smaller than 8-1/2" x 11") and address it like a normal envelope, with the recipient's address in the middle, and in the upper left corner in smaller writing my return address. I also put a copy of that inside the box, just in case the one taped on top gets ripped off or something happens to damage the box. Usually that doesn't happen, but it can't hurt.
Then I just tape the paper on the top of the box using the packing tape.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey!
ok, first, you need to address it like you would a letter.

In the upper left hand corner of the top of the box write:
Your name
your street number and street name
your town, (comma) and state
Your zip code.
if it's being sent out of country sometimes people will put their country down.

In the middle of the box (same side) write:
Their name
Their street number and street name
their town, (comma) and state
their zip code
And again, country if needed.

Make sure when you're writing these things to make them dark and legitable. Also, don't take up the whole box, write big enough to be able to read it, but small enough that there's room on the box for postage.

Take it to the post office. When you're there they will weigh it, measure it and ask you how you want to send it. Dont be scared to ask what the differences are, they're usually really good about helping you pick the right one. If there's paperwork to fill out, they'll tell you what to do with the paperwork. THEN they'll stick the postage and paperwork to the box in the correct place for you and you pay them.

Volia! you're done! Don't be embarrassed...we all have to do it a first time at some point. Fortunately the folks at the post office can give you a hand in case of confusion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so worried about messing it up, but thanks to you all I have it straight now

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need more help the people at the post office will help you! They just weighed mine and gave me my shipping options and gave me a receipt! Its super easy!! Good luck!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi made a good point about putting a slip of paper with the name and address inside the box. I usually go a step farther and write the recipient's name and address on three sides of the box, in ballpoint on at least one side, as packages sometimes get wet, and marker will run (I once had a package reach me after six months for that reason; I only got it at all because my brother had put address labels inside a book, and some smart UPS employee was absolutely determined to deliver that package).

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pombina

same here!! I have never done it before either! I have my gift ready to go but I don't have anything to put it in so I was planning on packaging it at the Post Office!
Lauren, you're going to be there forever! Why not go and pick out the proper sized box, and any necessary forms, beforehand?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SillyJilly

So... Are you mailing a package to me???
I am happy everyone helped you out so that it can arrive to me safely!!!
I'll never tell

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chichismom

Ok- Don't laugh at me!
but I have never mailed a box/package before
I have no idea what to do!!!! I know how to seal it up etc.... my problem is how to address it and what not
Do I have to buy some special label from the post office? Or just make up one on my own? Then postage.... I assume they weigh it at the post office and will put the postage on it there? Do I have to do anything else? If anyone has a box that they are sending or have recieved can you post a pic of how the labels look? PLEASE? I am so nervous about messing this up

Thank you in advance for your help
I'm in the same boat...I have been stressing for weeks about sending packages across the world/country/continent
Hopefully, it is as easy as these folks say

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a USPS employee I just want to hand out a handy tip when it comes to mailing a package- actually about the box itself.

Don't "recycle" any boxes that contained any sort of "hazardous" material when shipping packages. Boxes with writing on them that used to contain alcohol, bleach, lighter fluid, etc. If the writing/markings are visible then it won't go through the system and just end back at your house. Even if the clerks don't refuse it the package will be pulled from the mail stream at a processing facility. It's best to use a plain box or a box covered in that brown paper (which is what I do).

Bryan

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Don't "recycle" any boxes that contained any sort of "hazardous" material when shipping packages. Boxes with writing on them that used to contain alcohol, bleach, lighter fluid, etc. If the writing/markings are visible then it won't go through the system and just end back at your house. Even if the clerks don't refuse it the package will be pulled from the mail stream at a processing facility. It's best to use a plain box or a box covered in that brown paper (which is what I do).

Bryan
This is why I keep a supply of brown packaging paper - I am bad for recycling boxes (as are my friends) and eventually you can't work out where the package is going for all the address labels and text