Do you get your nails done?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom paid for me to get my nails done.. the acrylic ones. I had a french manicure done (this explains all the typos I've had the last couple days
)
I like them and they feel natural... this isn't this first time I've had them done.But it's been a long time. My natural nails are usually pretty long but here lately they have been broken and chipped. I like having them done around the holidays because of parties and dinner's we go to. I like to look nice...
What color do you get when you get yours done?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually get my fingernails and toes french manicured. But I havent done it in several months.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The girl i work with wears them and she's also a qualified nail technician. She's put a couple on me to see how i like the feel of them, but although i like them i can't wear them because i can't pull my tights (pantyhose) up properly with them on!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

The girl i work with wears them and she's also a qualified nail technician. She's put a couple on me to see how i like the feel of them, but although i like them i can't wear them because i can't pull my tights (pantyhose) up properly with them on!!
I bet that's a sight!
My DH loves them.. Gives him an excuse to ask to have his back scratched

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them but they damage my natural nails so badly that I can't stand when they come off.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rarely get a manicure - mostly do my own but I'm lucky to have good strong nails. I had a broken nail one year and had an acrylic put on for the holiday season and it took me ages to get my nail bed back to it's original shape and quality.

I've recently found an excellent nail fortifier and since using it my nails are awesome.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont get my nails done alas....though I should. I still occasionally get freaked and bite them all off...but my nail biting days are mostly in the past!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to get my nails done
my best friend renae and I go once in a while (when we have a little extra $$$ to spare). I never get fakies- I play guitar, so that wouldn't work. So I usually just get a regular manicure when I have the $$$ or only pay $5 to get them painted
The place I go to is owned by a vietnamese family, so since Colin is 1/2 vietnamese, we always find something fun to talk about- I love it there, but I don't go unless I already paid my bills,etc for the month. I usually get them painted a nice shade of pink or get a french manicure...I ALWAYS make sure my nails and toes match
When i'm not playing guitar or anything else though, i let them grow out longer (they're naturally long and very sturdy- so they look great when they're painted.) but that rairly happens....ah the joys of chopping nails off for guitars

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only gone twice. For my wedding and my best friend's wedding. For mine I got a French manicure, and for hers I got an American manicure (like the french but more pearl-like).

There's a nail palce aruond the corner from my apartment and I've told myself I'm going to start getting them done because they always make me feel pretty.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love having them done but don't have the money to keep them up. My own nails are hit or miss as to weather or not they are a uniform length. When I do have them done (or do them myself) I usually go for french tips on my fingers. I always paint my toes durring the summer. Usually some bright fun color. When I can afford to splurge I'll get a pedicure and have them paint my toes a solid color. Bright and fun in the summer and usually red in the winter. I am getting both done (hands & feet) for my wedding next year and both will be french tips.

Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I bet that's a sight!
My DH loves them.. Gives him an excuse to ask to have his back scratched
This is exactly why my fiance loevs them. I swear the man is part dog... he loves having his head and back scratched and when I find a good spot he twitches! LOL
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've recently found an excellent nail fortifier and since using it my nails are awesome.
Would you mind sharing the name of it? Sometimes my nails grow really well and other times they are always breaking.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

My mom paid for me to get my nails done.. the acrylic ones. I had a french manicure done (this explains all the typos I've had the last couple days
)
I like them and they feel natural... this isn't this first time I've had them done.But it's been a long time. My natural nails are usually pretty long but here lately they have been broken and chipped. I like having them done around the holidays because of parties and dinner's we go to. I like to look nice...
What color do you get when you get yours done?
I had those gel nails once. They are better than the acrylic kind as the acrylic doesn't allow air to get to your nail and thus can cause mould to grow. Gel nails don't do that.

I paid $90.00 at a place called "Giselles" to get mine done. The procedure involves a pushing back the cuticle if needed and then filing down the tops of your own nails to rough them up and remove the oils so that the nail has something to stick to. Then they fill the ridge between the base of the nail and your cuticle with some gel/powder and apply several coats drying it under a special light each time. Then they paint them.

They are high maintenance and require ridge filling every 3 or 4 weeks to keep looking good; and it's not cheap. About $40.00 each time. Also you can't use acetone nail polish, or file or otherwise trim the nails yourself because it breaks the seal between your own nail and the nail tip.

The girl who did mine did a terrible job. She didn't push back the cuticles at all. I got mine done on a Wednesday and by Friday 1 was broken and another was cracked... and I hadn't even done anything other than use the computer. Plus there was a horrid huge gap between my gel nail and where the nail meets the skin because of my cuticles.

I called them and complained, and they were rather rude and sounded like they didn't believe me. It was a long weekend and I couldn't get in there until Tuesday. When I went the manager looked at my nails and booked me back in the next Saturday with the same girl.

She had to remove the 2 broken nails which involved filing them off and filing my own nails down even more so that new nails could be applied. I swear that those two nails were filed right down to the nail bed in spots! Plus she pushed all of my cuticles back and had to fill in the ridges. She could only do one hand that day and it took her 3 hours to fix it. I had to go back 5 days later and get the other hand fixed.

I left on my trip the following Friday and by Saturday morning those same 2 nails were broken again... one right at the joint where it met my own nail.

Three weeks later they were all broken, cracked or fallen off. I ended up using an exacto knife to remove what was left of the nails and glue.

My nails were a wreck for weeks afterwards, and there are 2 nails (the ones she had to totally redo) that seem to have suffered permanent damage because when they grow out they are not rounded along the top like they should be, instead they are flat and break really easily.

As for colour, I had the French Nail Tips put on.

When I have long nails I like to have either clear, shocking pink, or true blue-based red (no orange tone).

Right now my nails are cut really short because I've been sick and they aren't growing very well and tend to break and peel. So rather than fight with them I just keep them short.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
no ... I do too much stuff to do that ...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't done my nails since before I got my Harley, so it's been at last 7 years.

When I did do them, I did them myself, usually wore a very light color, like a silvery/pearl or silvery/frosted, and I got TONS of compliments on them. Thanks to my late Nana, I got good nail genes.

Now I just keep them short. Easier that way. Not to mention less expensive.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the gel nails done for my wedding. They looked gorgeous!! I had a great technician who took the time needed and they looked completely natural when she was done. I would have kept them, but my schedule made it really tough to get in for fills with any regularity (and you have to get them filled regularly to keep them looking good). I go for manicures whenever I can. (I could use one now.) I really like the french manicures, especially when my nails are shorter, but I go for a color sometimes.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do my own nails. I keep a french manicure on my fingers now and I do my toes in pinks and reds. I can't stand not having polish on my toes. I guess I've done it for so long they look weird without it!
If you look at the pics of my SS prezzies you can see my thumb. I think I do a pretty good job of it for being raised like a boy!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I get my nails done once a month.

I get acrylic overlays put over my real nails so that they are all the same shape/length and the colour stays perfect for a whole month also.

I either get American (similar to French), pink, gold, black or brown, depending on my moody. They are a pretty goldy-brown this month.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Would you mind sharing the name of it? Sometimes my nails grow really well and other times they are always breaking.
Not at all. I recommended it to my best friend who was never able to grow nice nails and she ended up with gorgeous nails and then recommended it to everyone she knew.

It is the Sally Hansen Triple Strength. It comes in a square green bottle (nailpolish size). I put 2 coats on then my polish. I do this at least twice per week. I've tried so many others that just didn't do anything. This one really does.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wore acrylics for about 5 years. It's taken over 4 years for my nails to get back to normal. They were very thin for a long time and I tried many strengthening products.