Static cat!

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Help! Poor Lily is very staticy. Eve doesn't have a problem, neither do the rabbits, but Lily's been getting shocked a lot when she touches my face. Problem is that she loves to rub her face on mine and she gets upset because she thinks I'm hurting her on purpose.

The heat is on but the humidity is still about 50%. What can I do?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very simple - and this works for your own hair, too. Just take a dryer sheet and smooth it over the kitty's fur, and viola! No more static!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh fab! Thanks! Poor dear just got shocked again on her whiskers (ouch!) and started slapping me with her paw in retaliation. Think sissy fight-type slapping.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It happens once in a while! I dont know about the dryer sheet idea though... I would think the chemicals in it would not be too good for kitty to lick.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

I would think the chemicals in it would not be too good for kitty to lick.
I wondered the same thing.

For my cats I wipe them with a baby wipe.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some pet stores have spray conditioners that claim to help with static

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

It happens once in a while! I dont know about the dryer sheet idea though... I would think the chemicals in it would not be too good for kitty to lick.
For all the rolling in freshly cleaned and dried laundry my cats do, a quick swipe with the same dryer sheet isn't going to be harmful to them.

Think about it. Fresh Laundry = Cat Bed

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

For all the rolling in freshly cleaned and dried laundry my cats do, a quick swipe with the same dryer sheet isn't going to be harmful to them.

Think about it. Fresh Laundry = Cat Bed
That's what I was thinkin' too.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a vaporizer for your house. It will prevent shocks and also prevent nosebleeds. Heating dries the air--Gizmo and I both had nosebleeds last winter until I got the vaporizer going.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, I already have a humidifier. It's not on yet since the humidity is still reading 60%. I noticed last year though that some of the furry beasts (especially Fey) still get staticy in winter even with good humidity. Fey didn't get zapped like this though, she just tended to crackle when I was petting her.

The dryer sheets are kind of working. Better than nothing.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
last night lying in bed, Athena came up up to me and touched noses and BAM!! shocked her and I so bad I saw a bright flash of light
She must not have minded cause she kept doing it, the little brat! I minded!!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bath and a good conditioner might help... You can also look for pet grooming sprays, (make sure they say they're ok for cats) many of them mention on the bottle that they help with static.
I know I always get really staticky in the winter with my long hair, maybe I should start using a grooming spray!

Examples of grooming sprays that say they're anti-static:

Crazy Dog (not 100% sure this is ok for cats too...)
Tropiclean Papaya Mist Spray
#1 All Systems Hair Revitalizer & Instant Anti-static Spray
Eqyss Cat Mist Rehydrant Spray
House of Anju Anti-Stat Spray
Vetbasis Freshener & Detangler Spray

As someone else mentioned, a vaporizer might help. This is different from a humidifier...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I've suggested this in the past (probably last winter, haha)...I've never had it like "vet approved" or anything, but it's worked for years.... my dad gets a clean (ie: never used for anything else) hand-pumped bug sprayer, he mixes a 50/50 solution of liquid fabric softener and water.... with the pets in other rooms (or dog outside) he sprays the carpets/any fabrics the animals come into contact with and lets them fully dry before letting the animals back in the area he's just done... seems to work pretty well - you may have to do it a few times during the dry seasons... my mom's pretty static prone as well, haha

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I work in an Emergency vet office and I learned last nite after taking the laundry out of the dryer and complaining i was getting shocked that the ingredients in dryer sheets are actually very harmful to cats. I haven't had a chance to read up on them or get the whole story but this is what I learned and thought I would just pass it on.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never let Gizmo play with dryer sheets, and don't recommend using them on a cat!

A vaporizer is different from a humidifier. It actually puts droplets of water into the air. Both Gizmo and I stopped having nosebleeds after I got one. It isn't fun having your cat sneeze blood all over you at two a.m. and you don't know who to call or what to do. I realized what the problem was when I had a bad nosebleed later that morning and took measures to stop it. Thankfully the vaporizer put a stop to this.

As for brands, I'd not get the expensive ones...two of these overpriced things have only lasted one winter each.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vaporizer I have is a Vicks V150 Vaporizer, it was not expensive at all and it's lasted me for years, even with the hard water we have.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

The vaporizer I have is a Vicks V150 Vaporizer, it was not expensive at all and it's lasted me for years, even with the hard water we have.
I have the same one ... knock on wood I think it si on yr 5

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naturestee

Help! Poor Lily is very staticy. Eve doesn't have a problem, neither do the rabbits, but Lily's been getting shocked a lot when she touches my face. Problem is that she loves to rub her face on mine and she gets upset because she thinks I'm hurting her on purpose.

The heat is on but the humidity is still about 50%. What can I do?
I see you live in cold country where static is a lot more problem than down here. We have a nylon rug in the hallway that will build up extreme static in any body and I do mean any body that walks along it. We finally had to put a clear plastic runner over the rug or else when the cat would come up to your face you could actual see an arc of electricity.