Vibes for my son please?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's having a tooth pulled today that he broke while chewing a piece of ice. It started to hurt last week so I took him to the dentist and they put him on antibiotics and Tylenol 3 for the pain. I am more scared then he is (of course). My oldest son never had to have any teeth pulled so I haven't gone through this before.
They won't let me go back with him because they say it freaks the kids out more with the parents.
I don't think the actual pulling the tooth is gonna scare him, but the shots of novicaine will. He doesn't know they're giving him a shot. Last time he got a shot was last year for pre-school and he was SOOO mad at me. He told me "I'm telling grandma on you!"
And he did

Tomorrow is his 5th Birthday and I feel so bad he has to have it done the day before, that's why we had the party this weekend.

Can I get some vibes for him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Of course DixieDarlin! Tell him it's not so bad, it's kind of cool - I had a bunch pulled.
I had several pulled too but it was a traumatizing experience... I'm hoping to NOT pass my fear of dentists on to him.
Yesterday, Justice (my oldest) told him "You know they're gonna rip your tooth out and there is gonna be ALOT of blood"
Deacon came running to me in tears and I assured him they would NOT do that...I coulda strangled Justice

He finds it amusing to torment his little brother

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending good vibes!

A tip... pick up some Ora-gel. It's the stuff that is used to numb the gums of teething babies. Have the dentist apply the gel to the gum area a few minutes before injecting the freezing. The needle will hurt a whole lot less and maybe not at all.

The dentist I go to uses it prior to freezing for all of his patients... child or adult.

I also keep some at home to act as local freezing when I have to dig out the corner of my ingrown toenail.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Sending good vibes!

A tip... pick up some Ora-gel. It's the stuff that is used to numb the gums of teething babies. Have the dentist apply the gel to the gum area a few minutes before injecting the freezing. The needle will hurt a whole lot less and maybe not at all.
They already do that. It's a children's dentist

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I had several pulled too but it was a traumatizing experience... I'm hoping to NOT pass my fear of dentists on to him.
This is why they don't like to let parents in the room.

Yesterday, Justice (my oldest) told him "You know they're gonna rip your tooth out and there is gonna be ALOT of blood"
Deacon came running to me in tears and I assured him they would NOT do that...I coulda strangled Justice

He finds it amusing to torment his little brother
Well, older brothers do tend to make sport of having younger brothers.

Oh - since we're offering tips - I always got to order whatever I wanted from Burger King after going to the doctor or dentist. In the case of dentist, the vanilla milkshake was the best part.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of Course I'lll send some to him big boy vibes. hope it's all over quick, Now don't tell him I said this because I don't think they know to be afraid unless somehow that gets instilled in them.. Cover his eyes now, I HATE THE DENIST
and everyone that works there, even the gal at the reception desk Ok I'm Ok, Tell him to be a big boy and you'll buy him a horse or something
I know it's not funny no fun intended at all.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is why they don't like to let parents in the room.

Well, older brothers do tend to make sport of having younger brothers.

Oh - since we're offering tips - I always got to order whatever I wanted from Burger King after going to the doctor or dentist. In the case of dentist, the vanilla milkshake was the best part.
Oh I've already told him that he will be getting a Happy Meal today.. with whatever shake he wants

By the end of the day, he'll be spoiled rotten

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Of Course I'lll send some to him big boy vibes. hope it's all over quick, Now don't tell him I said this because I don't think they know to be afraid unless somehow that gets instilled in them.. Cover his eyes now, I HATE THE DENIST
and everyone that works there, even the gal at the reception desk Ok I'm Ok, Tell him to be a big boy and you'll buy him a horse or something
I know it's not funny no fun intended at all.
They put a "sleeping" mask thing over thier eyes so they don't see what happening.
To me, that's almost worse because I WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S COMING!
I want to be able to brace myself for what's next!
But that's me..I've been known to pass out from seeing needles so it's best they DO cover my eyes.
I've promised him he'll get a "Doodle Doug" and McDonald's if he's a big boy today

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They put a "sleeping" mask thing over thier eyes so they don't see what happening.
But that's me..I've been known to pass out from seeing needles so it's best they DO cover my eyes.
I've promised him he'll get a "Doodle Doug" and McDonald's if he's a big boy today
It's a good thing you aren't taking me
because Mr Doodle Doug could just go fly a kite, and the sleeping mask better be for my nose and I better wake up in LaLa land Of course that's after the Valium

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No way! That's like a horror movie. You already feel vulnerable, because you're supine, and to cover your eyes? It's not like to can't hear just fine! Oh, that's so bad. It's not like you can't close your eyes if you want to.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No way! That's like a horror movie. You already feel vulnerable, because you're supine, and to cover your eyes? It's not like to can't hear just fine! Oh, that's so bad. It's not like you can't close your eyes if you want to.
I don't even wanna see the building
Closeing the eyes is out Knock me out please. It's like I have to be nosey and measure the needles and hammers
and drills
I have to tell this I went for a Flexi-Sig Hopefully you know what that is, I had no Idea I figured the thing was flexable
It looked like a piece od PVC pipe, I was tempted to
get the heck out of there before they came in

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe I'm weird but dentists never bothered me. From the time our daughter was 2 yrs. old, we always took her with us to the dentist. She would sit on my tummy and watch the dentist clean my teeth, then when she was around 4 yrs. old, the dentist let her sit in the patient chair and just used the little mirror tool to look in her mouth so she would get used to it.

Some years later when she needed wisdom teeth pulled it was no biggie for her. I agree with the above poster that we tend to "telegraph" our fear to our children so I fully understand why the dentists would want to keep the parents out.

I'll be thinking of your little guy and hoping he has an easy time at the dentist.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
halfpint;1439322 said:
It's a good thing you aren't taking me
because Mr Doodle Doug could just go fly a kite, and the sleeping mask better be for my nose and I better wake up in LaLa land Of course that's after the Valium

Originally Posted by halfpint

I don't even wanna see the building
Closeing the eyes is out Knock me out please. It's like I have to be nosey and measure the needles and hammers
and drills
I have to tell this I went for a Flexi-Sig Hopefully you know what that is, I had no Idea I figured the thing was flexable
It looked like a piece od PVC pipe, I was tempted to
get the heck out of there before they came in
ANY time I have to go to the dentist, I tell them "you better knock me out or I'll knock YOU out!"
I HATE dentist. I will start to shake, and cry when I walk in!
When I was 4, I broke a front tooth (thanks to MY brother) and I went to the dentist, I jumped and the needle went up through my top lip and out of my nose... Gives me GOOD reason to HATE dentists

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Maybe I'm weird but dentists never bothered me. From the time our daughter was 2 yrs. old, we always took her with us to the dentist. She would sit on my tummy and watch the dentist clean my teeth, then when she was around 4 yrs. old, the dentist let her sit in the patient chair and just used the little mirror tool to look in her mouth so she would get used to it.

Some years later when she needed wisdom teeth pulled it was no biggie for her. I agree with the above poster that we tend to "telegraph" our fear to our children so I fully understand why the dentists would want to keep the parents out.

I'll be thinking of your little guy and hoping he has an easy time at the dentist.
Oh I can understand why they don't want us back there. I'd freak him out from MY crying

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lots of quick and painless (as possibe?) tooth-pulling vibes for Deacon!

oops, got a litte s happy there

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Poor little guy. I ended up having almost all of my baby teeth pulled because they were really fouling up my adult teeth coming in. I absolutely hated the novocain shot. Even now that is the worst part of the experience.

Sending calming vibes and chocolate shakes to your boy.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! We're leaving at 12:30, his appointment is 1:00. I was thinking of giving him a dose of his Tylenol 3 before we leave. But to be honest, it really doesn't make him sleepy or anything... Kinda makes him cranky so I think I'll opt not to.
Btw, we're keeping the tooth so the
will come tonight..... speaking of tooth fairies... Did you know about the inflation with that woman?
It's up to almost $3-$4 a tooth!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If he's having a tooth pulled, I doubt he will be up for having food. The last teeth I had pulled were back in 1998 when I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled (1 one week, and the 2nd the next week). For each I had a mouth full of gauze and was spitting bits of blood for the better part of the day.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Maybe I'm weird but dentists never bothered me.
I love going to the dentist. I've actually been known to fall asleep while getting a filling or having my teeth cleaned. Getting my teeth cleaned is as good as a massage to me and I find it so relaxing, LOL

I even opt out of freezing if I need a filling that will require less than a total of 2 minutes of drilling. The feeling of the drill on the teeth is no different than the feeling of a sensitive tooth. Once the drill stops the sensation is gone. So my dentist and I have a system. He drills and when I wiggle my foot, he stops and gives me a break and then starts again. It's a whole lot less painful than the injection (though that doesn't hurt and feels kind of good actually), and the feeling of the freezing coming out. However, for deep fillings I do get freezing.

My dentist told me that I'm a rare one and that he's never had anyone fall asleep in his chair while getting a filling or root canal done, lol

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If he's having a tooth pulled, I doubt he will be up for having food. The last teeth I had pulled were back in 1998 when I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled (1 one week, and the 2nd the next week). For each I had a mouth full of gauze and was spitting bits of blood for the better part of the day.
All he cares about is the milkshake and the toy in the happy meal.

We are leaving now.. Please keep him (and me) in your thoughts for the next couple of hours!
I know I'm probably gonna cry more then he is