Cat staring?

julian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two young fully gown cats. Can anyone tell me why one of them endlessly sits on the kitchen floor and stares down a small crack between two cupboards. This morning I noticed they are both at it! I am pretty sure I do not have mice. Can anyone explain this strange behaviour?

Thanks,

Julian

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine have done that when they've seen even infinitesimal 'bugs' that we aren't aware of, and they will go back months later waiting for more to emerge. Not only elephants have good memories! I don't think it's anything to do with your housekeeping, just unavoidable facts of life.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Larke. Perhaps they are thinking of different strategies to make that crack wider.
Although "termites" come to mind!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My four have taken to staring at the kitchen wall for ages too. But I know there was a bird in there last week (it emerged and Ellie caught it eventually) and there may be more, or they may just be hopeful! But they hear things we cannot.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes I think my cats do that just to see if they can get me to look to see what they are staring at.

mcmaggie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

Sometimes I think my cats do that just to see if they can get me to look to see what they are staring at.

My cat stares into the other room when she sees shadows moving. And shadows from the television in the same room seem to facinate her. Freaks me out now and then, it looks like she's seen a ghost.

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MCMaggie

My cat stares into the other room when she sees shadows moving. And shadows from the television in the same room seem to facinate her. Freaks me out now and then, it looks like she's seen a ghost.
That is what I always think. About seeing a ghost or something and then I scare myself. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great. Thanks very much.

chichi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat stares at me too much. I was hoping I could get an explanation for that in this post.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Chichi

My cat stares at me too much. I was hoping I could get an explanation for that in this post.
Maybe your cat is trying to communicate with you.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
mine is infinitely patient when she thinks something interesting might return, if she gets tired of waiting she whines for me to come and try to route it out.

their hearing is far better than ours or even a dogs, so a teensy spider could be walking and she might hear it. Abi tells me when someone has entered the yard far before the door bell rings. and she can hear our car when it turns onto the block, well before I do. It's pretty cool.

buttercup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
heh, my cats actually like to stare at ME. They stalk me too. I can get up and walk in the next room, and they are right there, taking their spots next to me close by. And yes, they follow me in the bathroom

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have a weird staring thing...Trout will stare at the ceiling for god sakes
I'm pretty sure there is nothing up there.