Seperating brothers?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the two most adorable little twin orange babies I named them Abe and Oatsung, about 7 weeks oldish
I brought them back home with me from Tiger Ranch and I'll be darned if I am having the hardest time finding someone interested in adopting them!

I didn't think it would be this hard. I had two or three people contact me and we talked back and forth in great detail and then they backed out at the last minute. Their reasons were understandable, but still.

I was trying to get them to be adopted together. But I am wondering if I should seperate them. What do you guys think? Aren't they too young? Especially if they were to be an only pet. A woman with a 12 year old daughter and no other pets was interested but only in one and someone else too who has already taken in a few rescued cats but they only wanted one as well.

The boys get along wonderfully, sleep together, etc. Only concern is that the one had some crusties on the eyes and a little watery and red. He was crusted shut when I just brought him home and now just a little red. I have been putting Terramycin on their eyes.

Aren't they just the cutest little boys?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I have the two most adorable little twin orange babies I named them Abe and Oatsung, about 7 weeks oldish
I brought them back home with me from Tiger Ranch and I'll be darned if I am having the hardest time finding someone interested in adopting them!

I didn't think it would be this hard. I had two or three people contact me and we talked back and forth in great detail and then they backed out at the last minute. Their reasons were understandable, but still.

I was trying to get them to be adopted together. But I am wondering if I should seperate them. What do you guys think? Aren't they too young? Especially if they were to be an only pet. A woman with a 12 year old daughter and no other pets was interested but only in one and someone else too who has already taken in a few rescued cats but they only wanted one as well.

The boys get along wonderfully, sleep together, etc. Only concern is that the one had some crusties on the eyes and a little watery and red. He was crusted shut when I just brought him home and now just a little red. I have been putting Terramycin on their eyes.

Aren't they just the cutest little boys?
Yes, they sure are cuties. I had the chance to bring home two brothers with me but I did not. Also at seven weeks which I have since read is way tooyoung to do so here on these forums. I have always had multi cats before so they could play with each other during the day but this time I am now retired and I thought I could give just a single cat all the affection it could ever need. Sometimes I wonder about this and wish I had grabbed the brother while I had the chance, but the real reason comes down to that we still like to travel a lot and it is a lot easier to get a member of the family to come in and comb and brush and clean and feed the cat in stead of two cats. So I can see all the plusses and minuses of buying the brothers together but depending on what day you might have caught me, you could have sold me both.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was on the pittsburgh craiglist and there is someone that is looking for orange tabby kittens for her niece or nephew to call one garfield, I dont know if she has found one yet but here is the link, I hate seperating kitties though
because they bond, but maybe this lady could take both lol here is the link for our craiglist http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pet/
I wish I wasnt all maxed out for kitties they are sooooooooooo adorable o my goodness !

nath 1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My goodness, they are made to be together! Keep both of them if you can. What you could do is if you decide to separate them is to keep contact with the person you will leave the other one to, and may want to see him from time to time.

On the other hand, if you separate them, they will feel a bit anxious, but this will not last.

But they are darlings. If you have enough space and resources to cat sit when you are not there, why separate them?

Whatever decision you will take is a good one. As long as they are in good homes.

N.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is that I can't keep either of them. I rescue cats and kittens and if I kept them all I would have cats up to my eyeballs. I already have 7 of my own. I just do this on e a small scale out of my rented apartment. I am not actually allowed to have more then one pet (shhhh!)

I just am having a hard time finding someone interested in adopting both of them together. I hate to seperate them, they are so sweet and just love each other.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't think of any circumstances where I would separate brothers at that age - for a few reasons. First, you *will* find someone who will take both. It just might take an extra week or so. Second, seven weeks is way, way, way too young for a kitten to be an only cat. People think of cats as solitary creatures but it's not really true - they are very social and need the socialization that another cat provides, especially as young kittens.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, that is a good point. I really will keep them as long as it takes. They are great little boys!

I have another litter of four who needs adopted when they get older. They are just 5 weeks. In fact, I posted them in another thread here just yesterday. I found a home for one, but we are hanging on to her until she is 12 weeks. They are going to pay a deposit for her adoption when they come and see her in the next week or so. This will guarentee they get her when she is old enough and better for me to know they are serious about it and I won't have her until then and then the people will change their minds. I figured that would be alright for her to be adopted alone because they explained their work and living arrangements and there will always be someone home, plus she will already be 3 months and spayed and everything.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was always thrilled when my fosters got adopted in pairs, but in all honesty for me it had more to do with the fact they had someone to keep them company and wear out with than them needing to be that particular sibling. It might have been more comforting to me that they went together, but I think many would have done just as well if they went into a great home with another kitten or cat to play with.

Since you have fostered enough to get a feel for a “normal†bond between littermates do you feel these two are so unusually close that they are truly inseparable…or do they perhaps seem more attached or hard to picture separate because there are only two of them? If you can assess the situation honestly and feel these kittens truly need to be placed together I would hold out for the family that can take both. But if they could each do well on their own (perhaps in a home with another cat or kitten) I would definitely consider any of those very qualified homes as well.

They are adorable and who knows- maybe when they are old enough to be adopted you will have found a home wanting both!

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my they are cuties. I wish I had room for them. I know you are in my area. I will post these pics at work on Monday and see if anybody at work or their family/friends are interested in adopting both of them. They would be better off going together because of their young age.

I will let you know if I get any interested adopters.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AsecretK

Oh my they are cuties. I wish I had room for them. I know you are in my area. I will post these pics at work on Monday and see if anybody at work or their family/friends are interested in adopting both of them. They would be better off going together because of their young age.

I will let you know if I get any interested adopters.
Oh thank you so much! That would be great. You can just have them call or email me for more pictures. I will PM you my number and email addy. Thank you very much!

Where are you at in Ohio? Sorry if I asked you that already.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Oh thank you so much! That would be great. You can just have them call or email me for more pictures. I will PM you my number and email addy. Thank you very much!

Where are you at in Ohio? Sorry if I asked you that already.
I live in Bedford but I work in Twinsburg so I am not far from you at all.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, Jen, they are just the cutest little guys.........I live in Garfield and work in Solon, so I will post pics everywhere I can too! Do you have an email addy or a phone number I can put on the flier....?? You can PM me with it......

nath 1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

Don't give up yet. you say you live in Kent, OH? Let me verify something and I will e-mail you again this weekend.

N.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to keep the kittens until 10-12 weeks old. They still need each other for socialization (unless they are adopted together). Once both are neutered they will be fine together.

We were lucky with Ling's brothers/sisters. They got adopted together. The boys were first. Actually the parents/child came and got one of the boys (they were adopted at 3 months old). About a week later, they called and wanted to know if we still had the brother - as theirs kept crying for his brother. We told them yes, they immediately came and got the brother.

The 2 sisters went together as the family could not decide on which to take, so they took both

It also kinda helped (I think) that the boys were named "Ping" and "Pong" and the girls were "Ying" and "Yang"....in both cases they paired the names together - you didn't want to separate them

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should try posting a classified ad on www.Petfinder.com. I had been trying to find homes for my 2 kittens for over a month without success. I posted a free classified ad on that website and had 3 offers in just 3 days! WOW!

My kittens were sisters and I wanted them to go to the same home and guess what...they both went to the same home and are doing great! The new owners even agreed to let me take them to get spayed when I take the mama cat! YIPPEE!!!

I must warn you though. When I first posted my ad I got about 10-20 "fake" emails asking about the kittens. It was pretty easy to tell they were fake though. The fake ones always asked if my "pet" was still available and would ask the adoption fee and stuff that I had already listed in the ad. The real ones, however, meantioned the kittens by name and were genuinely looking for kittens for their family.

Anyways, you should give it a try. Don't forget to list an adoption fee though. If there is no fee, they won't list your ad. I put $50 for both. Also, if you want to get them neutered first or want the owner to give you proof they are neutering them, list that too so you only get serious takers.

Good luck in finding them new homes. I hope they get to go together!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TortieBaby

You should try posting a classified ad on www.Petfinder.com. I had been trying to find homes for my 2 kittens for over a month without success. I posted a free classified ad on that website and had 3 offers in just 3 days! WOW!

My kittens were sisters and I wanted them to go to the same home and guess what...they both went to the same home and are doing great! The new owners even agreed to let me take them to get spayed when I take the mama cat! YIPPEE!!!

I must warn you though. When I first posted my ad I got about 10-20 "fake" emails asking about the kittens. It was pretty easy to tell they were fake though. The fake ones always asked if my "pet" was still available and would ask the adoption fee and stuff that I had already listed in the ad. The real ones, however, meantioned the kittens by name and were genuinely looking for kittens for their family.

Anyways, you should give it a try. Don't forget to list an adoption fee though. If there is no fee, they won't list your ad. I put $50 for both. Also, if you want to get them neutered first or want the owner to give you proof they are neutering them, list that too so you only get serious takers.

Good luck in finding them new homes. I hope they get to go together!
Thank you! I use petfinder classifieds all the time! I love petfinder. I know what you mean about the fake scammer emails. I am so sick of them, it is ridiculous.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nath 1

Hi,

Don't give up yet. you say you live in Kent, OH? Let me verify something and I will e-mail you again this weekend.

N.
hey ok no problem! I will be awaiting your email! thanks.

nath 1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again,

I tried to get in touch with my friend in OH, but maybe she was away for the Thanksgiving weekend (did not think about this possibility in advance, as we do not have that holiday in Canada). I will try again tomorrow night!

N.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jen,

I sent out an email this morning at work about these two babies. I included their picture as well. I will let you know if I hear anything back

If I do I will send you a PM so I can get your email/phone number.

nath 1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Jen,
You rememember I told you I would get in contact with my friend, after trying to reach her during the weekend, and who lives in your area re the kitties? She told me unfortunately that she cannot take more cat. She has already 5 and 2 dogs. At least, I tried.

Good luck. I hope so much you find a solution!
N.