air conditioners

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so it's the wrong time of year to be thinking about this, but I'm a planner...and sort of obessed with my first apartment (especially since I haven't heard a yes from my application yet).
Chester has a severe heart murmur and the heat effects him pretty severely. We have central air here, but the new apartment wont have it. I can pay an extra $30/month during the summer to run one however, and I was thinking of installing one in the livingroom so he/I/Dynah would be more comfortable. There is a small window next to my sliding glass doors in that room, but the lady who showed us the place said that most people end up shattering it when they try to take it out. I was thinking of getting some kind of contraption so I could have it in my sliding glass doors, but I'm not sure.
Any advice as to what I should look at? There's also a sliding window in my bedroom, but the livingroom is far bigger, and I'd hate to have to lock him in the bedroom for a whole summer where I could just sleep in the livingroom if I wanted to.
Worst case senerio is I don't get one and bring him home for a couple of months during the summer, but I'd rather avoid that. The goal is to finally be an adult.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

Ok, so it's the wrong time of year to be thinking about this, but I'm a planner...and sort of obessed with my first apartment (especially since I haven't heard a yes from my application yet).
Chester has a severe heart murmur and the heat effects him pretty severely. We have central air here, but the new apartment wont have it. I can pay an extra $30/month during the summer to run one however, and I was thinking of installing one in the livingroom so he/I/Dynah would be more comfortable. There is a small window next to my sliding glass doors in that room, but the lady who showed us the place said that most people end up shattering it when they try to take it out. I was thinking of getting some kind of contraption so I could have it in my sliding glass doors, but I'm not sure.
Any advice as to what I should look at? There's also a sliding window in my bedroom, but the livingroom is far bigger, and I'd hate to have to lock him in the bedroom for a whole summer where I could just sleep in the livingroom if I wanted to.
Worst case senerio is I don't get one and bring him home for a couple of months during the summer, but I'd rather avoid that. The goal is to finally be an adult.
I wish I could advise you on that topic, but I don't have any experience in that dpt. I would however get a few estiments from your local companies and see what they say about possibly shattering that window when installing the unit and the risks.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was taking out my air conditioner last year I shattered the window. It is definitly not fun getting glass everywhere. It was the only window in my apartment that it fit in though.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My master bedroom has a window far too big to install a standard AC, sooo. I bought one of these....

Portable Air Conditioner

They are more expensive than window units, but well worth the money. With this much advance planning you may be able to put one on a lay away plan or save up for it if you decided that you wanted one. I'm totally happy with mine, all I had to do was rig up a discharge for a 5 inch hose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

My master bedroom has a window far too big to install a standard AC, sooo. I bought one of these....

Portable Air Conditioner

They are more expensive than window units, but well worth the money. With this much advance planning you may be able to put one on a lay away plan or save up for it if you decided that you wanted one. I'm totally happy with mine, all I had to do was rig up a discharge for a 5 inch hose.
My dad suggested one of these and I was looking at them last night. I think I'm going to have to wait till I get there and see if the handy man can be slipped a couple of bucks to take it out for me (apparently he has a nack). The problem with the portable ones is that they still need a place to vent to and they're $6-800 here. Geez I hope I hear about my application today! I'm starting to loose it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Portable Air Conditioner

Check Craigslist or a local paper for a used one. Usually people buy it, use it for the summer and then are done with it. So you could get one for 1/2 the price. Now is the best time to buy these things!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I second the craigslist idea...you can usually get air purifiers on there cheap too...seems lots of people buy these things, and then realize they dont need them., Which is great for people like us who end up needing them but couldnt afford full price!!!
Im a little curious as to how/why the heat bothers his heart murmur? Seems unusual to me as I have never been heatbothered that I know of, and have a congenital heart murmur and flutter.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

I second the craigslist idea...you can usually get air purifiers on there cheap too...seems lots of people buy these things, and then realize they dont need them., Which is great for people like us who end up needing them but couldnt afford full price!!!
Im a little curious as to how/why the heat bothers his heart murmur? Seems unusual to me as I have never been heatbothered that I know of, and have a congenital heart murmur and flutter.....
I'll look on craigslist then! I've never been, but have a friend who loves it.

I'm not sure why, but when he gets too warm he pants up a storm, and watching him pant gives me knots in my belly because I know why he does it. It's funny though, he doesn't pant when he's laying in the sun (perhaps it's because he can get out of it if he wants to), but when I take him out on his leash and it's too hot out he's good for maybe 10-15 minutes and starts panting. He doesn't pant when he's outside and it's cooler.

Becides that, if nothing else it will give me some good sleeping conditions.