Kittin-Sized Collars?

henrysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know where I can find kittin-sized collars? I have a new kittin who has been labeled a runt by our vet...2.5 lbs at 4 months and still fits in my hands!

Any collar at the local pet stores do not come close to fitting him. Any suggestions for purchasing one online?

Thanks!
Henry's Mom

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HenrysMom

Does anyone know where I can find kittin-sized collars? I have a new kittin who has been labeled a runt by our vet...2.5 lbs at 4 months and still fits in my hands!

Any collar at the local pet stores do not come close to fitting him. Any suggestions for purchasing one online?

Thanks!
Henry's Mom
Welcome to TCS. I don't reccomend putting a collar on a kitten that small. I would wait until he is a little bigger to put one on.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitters was very small when she was a baby but I didn't put a collar on her until she got older and bigger!!! I hope you either find one that fits her or wait until she's bigger!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our local pet store has velcro pet collars that you can cut to size - specifically for cats with extra small or extra large necks

enkeli-kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Young kittens don't need collars. My cats wear elastic ones which you can adjust very small and if the cat stays small, trim the ends off. Elastic ones are good because they can't get strangled with them if they go climbing.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used breakaway collars, smallest I could find in my town, then sewed a loop up to make them smaller. I (well actually my hubby
) sewed them so we can just cut a few strings to lengthen the collar. At the moment, Lily's about 7 lbs and Eve's about 8 lbs and they still need their collars sewn.

HenrysMom- Lily was about 2.5 pounds at 4 months when we adopted her but her littermates were the same size. I think part of the problem though was the small shelter cage (no exercise) and the not-so-good food (Science Diet). Once we switched food she started growing more normally.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also look at beastie bands...they're cuttable, and really lightweight.
Dynah is just 2 months old, and I just ordered her a collar from ragtime. I'm not planning on using it full time though, not till she's about 5 months old, but she's moving with me in January, and I want ID for her for the first few days and the trip.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zebra is a pretty small cat too. Shes 1½ years old and shes only 5 pounds. I got her first collar from Canadian Tire and it was a breakaway and it fit her but she destroyed it. Now I just have one on her from the dollar store and just cut off the excess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

henrysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the recommendation! I found the perfect collar for him. Since Henry's so little and extremely active, I worry about him jetting out the front door and us not seeing him. Although I don't think he'd get far, I'd still like a collar on him for safety reasons.

Much appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

henrysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Naturestee - What food did you switch to? Our doc has Henry on ProPlan...he had major intestinal problems his first few weeks. We found him when he was about 10 days old.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HenrysMom

Naturestee - What food did you switch to? Our doc has Henry on ProPlan...he had major intestinal problems his first few weeks. We found him when he was about 10 days old.
Eukanuba at first. It was better for them than Science Diet, but Eve needed something more high quality for her coat and Lily has a sensitive stomach and had bad gas problems from it. Then I switched to Chicken Soup- great for Eve, so-so for Lily. Next step is California Natural Chicken and Rice, a relatively affordable high-quality food with a smaller number of ingredients.

Is Henry doing well on the ProPlan now? If so, that's good. If not, well, vets don't usually know a whole lot about nutrition. Mine gushes over how much she loves Iams and hasn't heard of stuff like Chicken Soup or California Natural (or Felidae, Innova, etc). So I did my own research to decide what food might work better for them. Of course, your case might be different due to his previous health problem.