Seat belts

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im going to try and make a poll here

Do you wear your seatbelt everytime you get in a vehicle? Just out of curiousity

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the fine here for not wearing it is big and the police do random checks and I would rather be safe anyway, but it also irritates my skin so I have a cover on it which my BF's friends find hilarious

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I have to wear it (such as when there are a lot of cops around) I normally put the belt that goes across be behind me. I wore it one time and had a huge break out on my neck once. It stayed there for weeks. I'm not gonna do that again.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I don't have mine on, I can't start the car. I've even put it on driving from one parking space to another.

I also won't drive unles everyone has one on. It's one of very few iron clad rules I have. If you don't put on a seatbelt in my car, you can walk. Period.

Edit: DH also is an insurance agent, and worked in the claims department for a large auto insurance company. If I didn't wear one he wouldn't talk to me for a week.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seat belts are compulsory here, and were when I learnt to drive so I've always used one. It would feel odd to drive without one so it wouldn't occur to me not to.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Click it or ticket.If your in my car you have your seat belt on like it or not.
Studies have proven again and again many accidents you will survive but only if you have your sat belt on. Two weeks ago a friend of mine. Had! a 20 year old daughter who was not wearing her seat belt her boy friend was, he walked away from a rollover with minor bruises. She was ejected from the jeep and she didn't walk away she was driven away in a body bag.
Please wear your seat belt. You always think it won't happen to you but it can and might.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will NOT wear one!!! I hate them and I would rather pay a fine than be trapped in a vehicle that has caught on fire and I can't get the seat belt loose.
I will ONLY slip it on when I see a Police pull out behind me.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always wear them. There's so many accidents on the corner of my street, and last November a guy in high school got in a drunk driving accident and he wasn't wearing his seatbelt. He slipped into a coma and died a few days later.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time I don't is when in a vehicle that has one that won't fit around me. One factor in getting my van was that the belt would fit. I also require passengers to buckle up.

This past April I had a one vehicle accident and while Mom and I had bruises from the belts, we would have been in worse shape had we not been belted.

One accident report that has stuck in my mind is of a young family who had an accident (rollover). The parents survived despite not having their belts on. Their infant died, though properly placed in a car seat, from the parents being thrown about the car and into the infant.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seatbelts are mandatory where I live. If you are pulled over and don't have it on (and they do random checks), you are subject to a huge fine.

Unfortunately I'm not a small person and some vehicles I get into the seatbelt is a bit too short, so in those cases I don't wear one, but if the seatbelt is long enough I will wear it.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Early one morning many years ago, a young woman was heading home from college for Thanksgiving, and just down the street from my house, she lost control of her small truck when she veered into the curb. She was thrown from the vehicle and the truck rolled and fell on top of her, killing her. I'll never forget it. She was going only about 35-40 mph. If she had been wearing her seatbelt, she probably would have been eating turkey that day with her parents.

We always wear our seatbelts, and so does anyone riding in the car with us.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very rarely do I not wear it. I always try to. The stats show that seat belts save more lives than they take. I often here the argument that it can trap you in a burning car. That is true, anything can happen. BUT, a 30 mile an hr reck without a seatbelt can be fatal, whereas if you have your seatbelt on it'd be more than likely rather minor. I value my life far too much.

(And I keep interrupting threads because I've been away and I'm seeing all of these fantastic siggies, but I MUST say Laura, I'm adoring the picture of Brandon there. He is such a cutie pie. I love his sweet little ears and nose, you should dress him up for Christmas in some precious elf outfit that he will hate you for later. Lol.)