Our shelter ROCKS

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, last year, they finally got enough financial backing and supporters to open a new wing, the no-kill "adoption center". Then, the vet that they had been using for years retired, and she now works at the shelter, almost for free, as a full time licensed shelter vet....

..and now; The adoption fee for dogs and cats includes micro-chipping

Cat & Kitten Adoption Fee ~ $75.00

1 Spay or Neuter ~ Must be Altered Before Going Home

1 Feline Leukemia/FIV test~~

1 Rabies Shot, Certificate & Tag

1 FVRCP or Tri-V Vaccination
(follow-up boosters and office call are the adopters' responsibility)

1 De-Worming

1 Card Board Pet Carrier for Each Cat or Kitten that is Adopted

(Any additional visits are the responsibility of the adopter.)

1 FREE month of SHELTER CARE Insurance
(please click below to read about this wonderful offer)

Mandatory Microchipping through 24PetWatch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

That is GREAT, was it NOT a no-kill shelter before this???
The only one we have even close to Lexington that is no-kill is Woodford
Actually, no, it wasn't. In fact, the Humane society shelter is still there and still operates, but the new adoption center sits on the same land. They still go to the humane society first, and they do adoptions as well, but when they run out of time there (2-3 months), if there is any room at all to stuff one more, they will take them to the adoption center...but there are just SO many

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Actually, no, it wasn't. In fact, the Humane society shelter is still there and still operates, but the new adoption center sits on the same land. They still go to the humane society first, and they do adoptions as well, but when they run out of time there (2-3 months), if there is any room at all to stuff one more, they will take them to the adoption center...but there are just SO many
Is this where you spend your free time? It sounds like such a wonderful place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Is this where you spend your free time? It sounds like such a wonderful place.
Actually...sometimes...yeah
Mischief Mistoffolees, Trace Tumblebrutus, Peanut Butterum and Sassy Sassafras all came from that shelter. I usually volunteer to handle animals at their annual adoptathon (had to work this year though), and go there about once a week to play with the cats and kittens a walk a few of the dogs. It keeps me from going out and spending money on stupid stuff.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds great!!!! I love spending time down at the shelter

That's wonderful the vet works for almost free as well - what a wonderful person

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is really great news especially around here its really hard to get that kind of stuff going. There aren't any no-kill shelters around me.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skippymjp

Actually...sometimes...yeah
Mischief Mistoffolees, Trace Tumblebrutus, Peanut Butterum and Sassy Sassafras all came from that shelter. I usually volunteer to handle animals at their annual adoptathon (had to work this year though), and go there about once a week to play with the cats and kittens a walk a few of the dogs. It keeps me from going out and spending money on stupid stuff.
That is something I can understand. It also must be like therapy. As far as I'm concerned animals are good for the soul no matter what way you are with them.