Should they or shouldn't they?

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Do you think rescues should be honest and list ALL the cats they have for homing?

I read this thread http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105781 and there is no pic of Balboa.

I'm involved in rescue and I've seen when a cat or kitten with special needs is advertised and they do not say that the cat would be Ideal for a home with another
cat or kitten with the same illness e.g: FeLV or FiV .

I know there are people looking for a playmate/companion for their cat who do have FeLV/FiV and cannot find one because the rescues don't advertise cats with those ilnesses.

Do you think they should advertise them more?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they should. FeLV/FiV cats need homes too.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think so. There are many people out there who are quite prepared to take the time to give a loving home to a cat with illnesses/disabilities. And the kitties that do have these issues should not have their chances of adoption reduced because of them. I would love to adopt a special-needs kitty - perhaps one day when we have a home of our own and I can have as many furbabies as I want, we'll be able to do so.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I think they should. Unfortunately here if they have a disease or are otherwise disabled most get euthanized. Not much hope for kitties here I'm afraid. But were a small town with lots of cats. They do the best they can. Some get shipped to other towns/states for a better chance.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that they should, how else are they going to find a home??

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they should because you all are right people that has a cat with that same illness might be good and in need of another compainion or people that just want one pet and that are saving a kitties life, they shouldnt be left out and I also think it is wrong that some places with kitties that test positive for it die, I once had a cat that ended up having it when she got older and she lived for a good 5 more years or so, that was my baby and she will never be forgotten and she did perfectly fine and the vet told us she wasnt going to make it a year or something like that and we should just put her down and she did her medicine and it was like she was completely better she was a playful active, cuddely kittie that always loved to sleep with me (I was scared of her when i was little because we named her boo and she always looked evil, but for some reason she would always come to my room and scratch at my door to let her in because she wanted to sleep with me not any one else, and when she died she waited for me to come home from school and then she let go over the rainbow bridge to kitty heaven) but she was fine with the illness and lived great she was over 8 years old when she died. So I think everyone has the right to take care of a sick pet and also every animal has a right to get the chance to be taken care of!!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they should, there are people out there who have the time it takes for special needs kitties, or already have one and don't want to risk getting a healthy cat sick but would still like a companion.

At our local shelter, they have a separate page for special needs pets on their website, it isn't split up by dog/cat/etc like the other pages are so you just have to scroll through the pets, but at least it is there

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Of course I would want to say yes. That said - I don't know the rescue though. It takes time and effort to get the cats listed for adoption. If there are limited resources, then they are put into the cats which will move quickly so more space is opened up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was this thread that was behind the reason for this poll

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105781

Not that i'm slating the rescue at all, they are trying.

But it just seems that 'rescues' even the one I volunteer for treat cats with these infections as if there are no homes for them

Half the time they are never put on the websites.
and yet I've heard of a lot of people wanting a cat that can live with another cat with these infections and when they ask for them there aren't any.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they should because there are wonderful people out there like Katie(katiemae1277) who adopt them and give them loving homes

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something I just thought of, they may not list them because people with less knowledge than us may see them and assume they have infected all the cats at the shelter and just pass it by without looking at the 'healthy adoptions'

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think they should. First, those cats also need homes and if your own cat is ill, too, it won't matter, anyway. I'd also take in such a cat if I had none, so helping it to get better.
A few days ago I read an advertise of a local feral society who needed someone to adopt a cat with bad cat flu, so bad his nose is deformed already and if I hadn't got my two rascals, I would have *rushed* there to bring that cat to my place!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Something I just thought of, they may not list them because people with less knowledge than us may see them and assume they have infected all the cats at the shelter and just pass it by without looking at the 'healthy adoptions'
Thats a very good point.
I would have thought tho that the 'stupid' people would have been weeded out by the adoption process or the homecheck

You could be right