OH NO!! I have to get an E-Test!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my birthday is coming up which means I have to renew my license plate sticker...but this year I have to get an E-Test

My car is 18 years old, and I have little expectation that it will pass...I might have to get a new car and I can't afford it...

It sucks, my car works fine and hasn't broken in 3 years..and now if it fails, I might have to get rid of it

Please send healthy car vibes so it passes...I would be in deep poopoo if it failed.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here come the healthy car vibes!
Lots of 'em.

We're driving a 17 year-old car, and cross our fingers every year at AirCare time. So far, so good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Lots of healthy car vibes (and put a bottle of engine conditioner a day or two before the test, it helps)
Where do you put that engine conditioner?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is an E Test? Is that something like a smog test. We in California have get our cars smog tested every other year. If it's similar to a smog test, just go get a tune up and the oil changed, and as long as there aren't any serious problems it should pass.

I too am curious as to what Engine Conditioner is.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You pour it in to the gas tank, according to the bottle

simultaneiously improves fuel economy and power by creating a micro-thin coating on the combustion chamber in your engine allowing your fuel to burn more efficiently. Now you can combat the high price of gas with a simple caplet you add to your tank when you fill up.
It also helps (a little) if you try and use as much of the gas in your tank up and filol with premium and drive around for a little bit to run it through the system, as well as an oil change

(can you tell we have some old vehicles at work)

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So, is an E Test like a smog test? Is it to check the emissions your vehicle puts out in to the atmosphere?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Yes, they also check the safety of your vehicle at the same time (i think)
It has nothing to do with safety, just emissions.

BUT I do think it is kind of a scam. Last time I had to get one, I tested it at a place..and it failed..I went the next day to a different place and it passed..I didn't change anything on the car. That leads me to beleive its just a government money grub and really had not very much to do with the environment..That's why it makes me so
that if my cars fails..even though it works perfectly, I will have to get a new car (which I can't afford).

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had one authorized smog station tell me I didn't have a catalitic converter on my other car, so of course they failed me, charged me to put in a new one, and then passed my car, which was several hundred dollars. I asked my ex husband how he had been able to get the car to pass smog without a catalitic converter, and he told me it did have one in it. So, I was scammed by this place. I made the mistake of getting an oil change from them and stupidly telling them that I was going to get a smog check after that. So, I am pretty sure the mechanic just took out my catalitic converter, and charged me for my old one. A lot of Smog Stations here in California are also Garages. It wasn't the Government who scammed me, it was that Garage. Of course I will NEVER do business with that place agan.

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had to get my first one last year. My car had a check engine light on at the time that I disabled before I went in. However the problem was with the emissions so I was nervous but luckily I passed. Before all this emissions testing I took my car to a place that simply issued inspection stickers without even looking at your car. It was nice.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of an E test either.
Seinding good news vibes that way

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

It has nothing to do with safety, just emissions.

BUT I do think it is kind of a scam. Last time I had to get one, I tested it at a place..and it failed..I went the next day to a different place and it passed..I didn't change anything on the car. That leads me to beleive its just a government money grub and really had not very much to do with the environment..That's why it makes me so
that if my cars fails..even though it works perfectly, I will have to get a new car (which I can't afford).
Ours are all heavy trucks so they need both to get a sticker (even more of a money grab
)

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Z-max is one of the engine conditioners (here in the States) and they sell it at most auto parts stoprs. Goes right in the gas tank, add just after you fill up.

Old car might start running a little better too!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always been told those gas/engine cleaners are just gimmicks...so I don't know...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In older cars the engine stuff can help as it cleans the places you cant get to without taking things apart ... I was told after my car died that using the engine treatments would help and stay with the same grade of gas all the time...I trust this guy as he was the only one who wouldnt sell me the engine stuff for my 1 yr old car... SENDING you HUGE HEALTHY car VIBES

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend got an e-test done on a 16 year old car yesterday and it passed. The numbers were all less than half of the maximum that it could be. Theres no reason why it shouldn't pass just because its old.

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I do not have to worry about that. I couldn't buy a car now even if I wanted to. Wishing you a good outcome!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the vibes..I hope they work for car health too