Losing some hair

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Draco seems to be losing some hair on his chin, and I think it's from allergies to his cat food, but I'm not sure. I'm not terribly worried about it, but he's had what seems to be scabs on his chin in places where the hair is really thin, but when I touched them he didn't meow or pull back or anything like that, and he even let me wipe at them with a baby wipe (they came off and kind of looked like dirt, but he's an indoor only cat).
We're going to be taking the whole crew to the vet soon for check-ups and Psyche's shots, so I guess we'll find out then. The food he's eating is Purina Indoor formula for now because we couldn't get to the pet store to get Nutro. Has anyone else had trouble with this brand?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may be allegic to his food ... But I have to ask what are his feeding dishes made of??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can wipe some of the black stuff on a white towel or napkin and slightly dampen it ... if it turns reddish it is flea dirt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the food dishes are ceramic, and we have a plastic water dispenser.
the stuff just stays black and is in little tiny clumps...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good news not FLEAS.... You may want to give ceramic water ... I will say a small number of cats are allergic to glazes on ceramic so stainless steel is better...

Is the Purina new??? just a I ran out of food or is it the usuall fare??

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food sensitivity can cause hair loss. This has happened to one of my cats. Your cat may have an allergy to something in the Purina. And if it isn't his usual food then that can cause things like that to happen too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

namo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Is the Purina new??? just a I ran out of food or is it the usuall fare??
Just an 'i ran out of food'. My cats love Nutro, and it's good for them, so I try to feed it to them whenever I can. He actually has pretty thin hair up above his eyes that's just how his hair grew in, but normally he has more on his chin than he does now. As soon as we can we're going to get Nutro again, and hopefully it will clear up.