Sneezing kitty

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, Marcie went to the vet last Monday and it turns out that she has Gastric Enteritis or somthing like that and the vet gave her two weeks worth of antibiotics to take. It has been almost a week and she is doing so much better, but this morning she started sneezing. She has been sneezing all day today so far. Like 10 or 15 sneezes at a time. It can't be an infection because she is on a broad spectrum antibiotic, but what else could it be? She is an indoor kitty so she isn't exposed to changing environments and we keep the humidity level the same all year round...it is just one thing after another with her...

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually twice a year my cats have sneezing fits. I guess they are allergic to something that blooms in the spring and in the fall.

If your baby's eyes are not running, if her nose is not running, if she is eating and drinking and using the litter box and playing, just keep an eye on it. If it really begins to bother you, call the vet for information. If she is already on antibiotics, you don't want to mess up that part of the treatment by adding something else.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Try adding Vitamin C to her food...250mg. twice per day.

Antibiotics are not going to rid her of a cold or any virus...they are given too readily in my opinion and work only as a secondary defense for infections.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of my kitties have allergy problems for a period of time in the spring and a period of time in the fall. They will sneeze some and they'll rub their eyes and ears.

Also, they will tickle their noses while grooming or rolling on the floor causing them to sneeze as well.

Like the poster said above, if you see no nasal discharge or mucous coming from the eye, your little one is okay. However if you notice a change to anything other than clear, then your little one needs to go to the vet.

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Could Marcie have a foreign object, like a piece of cat grass, in her nose?
No, I gave up on trying to give her cat grass when all she would do is pull up the grass and spread it all over the floor. She isn't sneezing today for some reason. Yesterday, she sneezed all day...she is an odd kitty