Keeps eating dog food

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
grr. Mr. Puff keeps eating Kota's dog food. (Flint River Ranch).

Now FRR smells like fish so I can kinda understand why he goes to that instead of his non fishy smelling salmon flavored Eukanuba. (Don't get me started. I know it's not that great a food).

Anyway. I know cats have different nutritional needs so I'm looking at idea's on how to train him to go to his food bowl.

Right now he was eating Kota's food and I removed him. Put him up higher on a table and gave him some wet food to get him interested. (It has the dry in there as well).

Any other ideas?

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you only feed the dog meals a couple times a day instead of free-feeding him? Just leave his food down for 15 minutes, let him eat what he wants, then pick it up? As a bonus, his bathroom habits will be more predictable and regular.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorina

Could you only feed the dog meals a couple times a day instead of free-feeding him? Just leave his food down for 15 minutes, let him eat what he wants, then pick it up? As a bonus, his bathroom habits will be more predictable and regular.
No Kota (she) will not eat on a schedule. She takes one or two bites throughout the day. I tried time feeding before. She didn't get the idea. She's just a lazy and slow eater.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Having had both dogs and cats as pets most of my life (although we only have a cat now), I'd suggest meal feeding, and separating them for that time period. I know 15 minutes is often suggested, but some pets might require 30 to 60 minutes.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would discuss this with your vet.... THIS ISN"T telling you to do this... but I found out thru my vet that my CRF cat can have dog food and My dog can have some cat foods ... obviously not solely the wrong species food ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I would discuss this with your vet.... THIS ISN"T telling you to do this... but I found out thru my vet that my CRF cat can have dog food and My dog can have some cat foods ... obviously not solely the wrong species food ...
Well I know FRR is the better food because there are no bi-products or harmful preservatives. But I was told cats are suppose to have ash where as dogs are not. So I don't really know. Like I said I know a whole lot more about dogs than I do cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ash is the minerals left after a food is burned at high heat ...Thus though not noted on many dog food s it is in there///// Taurine is the essentail thing for cats that should be in dog food but many makers dont do enough research to find this out

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Protein and fat % commonly are higher in cat foods... Truth be told dogs benifit from protein and fat in 30-50% for protein about 20-30 for fat ... Ideally kitty would get 50-75% protein and 20-40% fat... They do overlap which is why my raw feed girls eat the same with just a slight variation in supplements