Cruise/Holmes Wedding

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had News24 on most of the morning and its just full of this wedding today in Italy.

They have just shown pictures of the castle, (very nice), that the ceremony is taking place at. Its pouring with rain and all the celebs are arriving for this Scientology Wedding.

Can anyone shine a light on what exactly a Scientology Wedding is? I have no idea.

Its not a legal wedding in Italy so there will be a civil ceremony after.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea why the big fuss over their wedding. Personally I couldn't care any less about it. They aren't royalty so I'm stumped about the crazed interest.

Anyway, here are some sites I found in Google about Scientology Weddings:

http://www.scientology.org/html/en_U...dia/index.html

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Entertainm...2651598&page=1

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,230300,00.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15767797/

And from what I know the religion is based on aliens...the outer space kind of aliens.

And according to a spat between him and Brooke Shields, Scientologists don't believe in medicine and you should be well just from meditating or something. Apparently he went off on her about her post partum depression and her use of anti depressants.

At one time I didn't mind Tom Cruise...but that was years ago. He's gone down the path of Michael Jackson and has turned into a complete weirdo.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

And from what I know the religion is based on aliens...the outer space kind of aliens.

And according to a spat between him and Brooke Shields, Scientologists don't believe in medicine and you should be well just from meditating or something. Apparently he went off on her about her post partum depression and her use of anti depressants.
It's not exactly based on aliens, but yes, aliens are involved (The Xenu myth or Incident II).

They don't exactly object to medicine, they more specifically object to psychiatry. I'm not certain that there is a place for mediation as a treatment at all in Scientology (which would, quite possibly, help with depression), rather, Cruise suggested that Shields should have been treated with vitamins.

His interviews on the subject were arrogant and extremely combative.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is difficult to explain scientology weddings, as there are four kinds of weddings, personally I couldn't care less about their wedding, but seemingly they are having some sort of Catholic (if they can get something ok'ed by the church as he is a divorcee) blessing or wedding also as well as the civil ceremony.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

His interviews on the subject were arrogant and extremely combative.
They were, but he later publicly apologised to her. As he should have.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

They were, but he later publicly apologised to her. As he should have.
True - I wasn't really talking about Cruise insulting Shields, specifically, but rather his views on psychiatry more generally.

I can talk with reasonable knowledge about Scientology, but I wouldn't speculate too much on the private lives of even very public people - most of the time, you just can't know.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly - I only know a little about Scientology and it seems utterly ridiculous to me, but it may not be - it has a huge following and seemingly very intelligent people are Scientologists. But, any cult has the power to draw in people of all walks of life, and even though it's a huge worldwide organisation, I have to view Scientology as a cult - it's just got too many of the hallmarks of cultism to escape that label!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tom Cruise decided to live this relationship in a public fish bowl. That's very taxing when you have no privacy.

IMHO it's mainly a publicity thing meant to rejuvinate a dying movie career. Face it, until he went all wacko with this Scientology stuff and started a very public romance with Katie, you never heard his name.

I'm sure they love each other. At least I hope so because they have a kid together. But I give their marriage 1 to 3 years before we hear them filing for divorce or whatever Scientologists do.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Exactly - I only know a little about Scientology and it seems utterly ridiculous to me, but it may not be - it has a huge following and seemingly very intelligent people are Scientologists. But, any cult has the power to draw in people of all walks of life, and even though it's a huge worldwide organisation, I have to view Scientology as a cult - it's just got too many of the hallmarks of cultism to escape that label!
I know quite a bit about Scientologists, and dispite my tendancy to play devil's advocate for just about anyone, I have to say I think they are in fact a cult, probably history's most cleverly designed one.

Even what they state publically about themselves is not reasurring.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He used to be catholic as was Katie...and Nicole and Penelope...He likes the catholic girls but doesn't want them to stay that way.

I can't believe the Italians are even embracing him, he left the church in their eyes and I'm sure 99 % of them have no clue about Scientology!

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a Tom Cruise fan, but not since he went wacko the last couple of years. Run, Katie, run as fast as you can!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links Natalie, very interesting.

And for the info from the rest of you guys. I was just curious as to what it was all about.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I don't make a habit of voicing my views on religion mainly because the way I was taught its not my place to judge its for the man upstairs to do that but the one thing about the religion I saw that I did not like was there is a certain amount of time after a baby is born before the mother can see the baby and to me that's very bad for the baby because that is at a crucial bonding point. And that was my problem with it because I don't know much about it and I like to be well informed before I state my opinions. I do however disagree with the way he has conducted himself he has acted like a tantruming two year old. And the way he treated Brooke Shields I am sorry but it had a ripple effect what about the women who aren't famous who have this problem with post partdom depression and what if their family listens to Cruise on them only needing vitamins and they don't get the help they need and they do something horrible. That was my main concern about that. Brooke she can get the help she needs not all women can without their families but if they listen to someone like Cruise, and people for some reason do tend to listen to people like him meaning famous, then they might not get the help they need.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

IMHO it's mainly a publicity thing meant to rejuvinate a dying movie career. Face it, until he went all wacko with this Scientology stuff and started a very public romance with Katie, you never heard his name.
Tom Cruise has been a huge movie star for ages!! I certainly don't think Scientology made him famous

And as for the original post, I can't believe it's getting so much coverage!! It's just a wedding...

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Tom Cruise has been a huge movie star for ages!! I certainly don't think Scientology made him famous

And as for the original post, I can't believe it's getting so much coverage!! It's just a wedding...
I don't think Scientology made him famous, but his radical Scientology thinking has made him INFAMOUS. Not to mention the fact that the Church of Scientology basically controls the thinking of those with the misfortune to join up with the cult.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

I am sorry but it had a ripple effect what about the women who aren't famous who have this problem with post partdom depression and what if their family listens to Cruise on them only needing vitamins and they don't get the help they need and they do something horrible.
"Law and Order" used that as a basis to one of their shows. They used a teenager who was Bipolar instead of a woman with post partum depression. But she was convinced to stop taking "mind altering drugs" by a rock star and she ended up killing someone. She was so much under the influence of what that star was telling her that they had to commit her to a psychiatric hospital, restrain her and force her to take her medications because she absolutely believed what he was saying was the truth. As soon as I saw that episode I thought of Shields and Cruise.

As for Scientology being a "Cult", I have to agree with that too. With the talk about getting rid of the "Reactive mind" through "auditing"....geez! How much more cult-ish can you get?

Also, I didn't say that Scientology made him famous. I know he was famous before, but his movie career wasn't exactly booming lately and he wasn't in the limelight like he was. Then he got all freakish with Scientology and doing wacko things and saying wacko things, doesn't even try to keep his relationship with Katie understated and in fact goes out of his way to make it very public, and suddenly he's all over the front pages of magazines etc.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to be a huge Tom Cruise fan but not anymore, he's a bit too strange for me now