Cat with a cold?

alejo_nin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, my cat keeps doing that coughing thing, and in its nose appears to be fluids...just like a runny nose...
could she have a cold??
is this a side efefct from spaying?

boo'smommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Morning, is she up to date on her bordatella (kennel cough) vac'n? My dog went in to be neutered gets his vac'n every 6 months and still got a minor case but he passed it on to my pregnant cat and she (just like him) had to go on antibotics.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alejo_NIN

Well, my cat keeps doing that coughing thing, and in its nose appears to be fluids...just like a runny nose...
could she have a cold??
is this a side efefct from spaying?
She certainly could have picked up something while at the vet office. The best thing to do is to bring her in to be seen. She may need some antibiotics...but your vet would be the one who could determine exactly what it is.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alejo_nin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sucks tho...but i see if it continues tomorrow and then take her to the vet

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes pets get sick when they are vaccinated, they can actually get sick from some vaccinations or if over vaccinated. So I was going to ask if she was vaccinated when spayed and maybe that is why she has a cold. Another thing though, many cats get stressed out when they go to the vet. Stress makes them more likely to get sick.

alejo_nin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The name of the virus i can't remember now, but it made the tounge turn red with sores....it was pretty scary, think saliva was comming out of ther mouth and it had a foul smell...
she would lick her fur and make her smell like if she was dying!
i took her to the vet, and they gave her a vaccine, the vet said if she have had the vaccine she would had not contracted the virus...
it was werid, because i took 3 cats to get neutered and she was the only that got sick...i know this because that is the only day she has been out of the house.
the saliva is gone now, she still has some mouth sores and the breath still stinks, but she doesn't cogh as much anymore, she licks her fur and it doens't smell bad..and she's more active and playful and sweet...like always

people, becareful when taking your cats to the mobile vet, i know is free...but in the end, i would had much rather taken them to a real vet..

well...80$ later, i learned that free isn't always better

alejo_nin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just found a site containing info on the problem my cat has
http://experts.about.com/q/Cats-1606/Mouth-sores.htm
Viral infections - the most common one that causes mouth sores, drooling, and foul breath is a serious infection called calici. This can cause ulcers on the gums, tongue, lips, roof of the mouth, throat, and lungs. This is one of the two most dangerous viral upper respiratory infections.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yep Calicivirus is one of the things most a cat is vaccinated against when they go in for their shots. That is great your cat recovered. I know a few cats who have chronic calicivirus and it never goes away. Poor things always have runny noses and itchy eyes. I usually use the mobile vet clinics with good luck so far, they are all real vets and should still use the same amounts of sanitary procedures as a regular vet clinic would.

alejo_nin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i guess i wasn't as lucky....should i get the other vaccinated?