I'm scared...

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to put up a Christmas tree this year

Last year it was Tiger's first Christmas but all in all he did well.. This year, I have 4 little terrors that I KNOW are NOT going to leave it alone. If it wasn't for the kids, I wouldn't put one up

I know I'm going to have to anchor it to the wall somehow to keep it from crashing down but I don't know how I'll keep em out of it...

Any suggestions?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope!!!! I will have 5 this year in my house.Last year it was Neela and Blaze and that was BAD enough!!! Now, 4 kits and Blaze.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just put the ornaments on the tree up high so the kitties can't get to them.
Miagi and Tiger find a way to get to ours, though.
Miagi was bad not last year but when we only had Miagi knocking every bulb off of the Christmas tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

Just put the ornaments on the tree up high so the kitties can't get to them.
Miagi and Tiger find a way to get to ours, though.
Miagi was bad not last year but when we only had Miagi knocking every bulb off of the Christmas tree.
I'm positive these troublemakers will scale the tree to get them no matter how high up I put them
I'm glad I bought plastic ornaments

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When mine where about 9-10 months old and I put up the tree OMG they were knocking off the ornaments, trying to eat the lights, climbing in the tree and knocking the tree over, ALL THE TIME!!!!
I finally took the tree down and havent put one up since that year and they are almost 4 years old now!

iamluckysmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
put up a tree, put up stuff you know they can't resist, save the precious memories for another Christmas and take bets on how many times you here TIMBER in the living room. It is the perfect cat christmas present. let them have the tree.....who cares, it's only a thing, right? The kids will love it.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um, is there any way you can just decorate it while keeping it laying on the floor??

I think that's your only option with all those kitties

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Um, is there any way you can just decorate it while keeping it laying on the floor??

I think that's your only option with all those kitties

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 year old Siamese wrecking crew and there will be no tree for him to climb. No kids at home and we're going to my moms so we'll just enjoy my moms fake tree there. It's kind of ironic....my husband works at one of the largest Christmas tree farms in Oregon and we could have a lovely tree for no cost. I just don't have the energy to put the tree and decorations up every day after work! But I love Siam anyway!!!!!! I won't miss the tree!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have yet to put a Christmas Tree because of the 1) the kitties and 2) I just don't have room in this apt. Is there anything that kitties don't like to climb up, on or over?

Bryan

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're pretty young - so I'd say no lights, no tinsel, just plastic baubles.

That way, even if they manage to damage the tree, the tree can't damage the kittens.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't put up a tree anymore.

Chynna has been good about not bothering the tree or ornaments when I have put one up, but I've never had a tree up since I've had Abby...about 8 years. I used to have a cute 2 1/2 foot tree, but decided to give it away and get a 7 foot one! I didn't realize how many more lights and ornaments I would have to buy in order to decorate a 7 foot tree! I put the tree up once, it didn't get taken down until June the following year because it took so long to put up that I just felt sick at the thought of having to do it all in reverse.

Plus most of my ornaments are expensive German blown glass ones, some going back 40 years or more, that I don't want to take the chance of Abby knocking down the tree and breaking them.

vampirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Previous years we have just put a vary tiny sparkly one but this year we are home so the big one will coming out of the attic

We have 4 cats this year, Jaz has always been a tree wrecker I dont know how Tigger is going to react.

Our decorations are all bought with the cats in mind. Dont want them getting hurt while demolitioning it

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank god I have a pre-lit tree so they won't be swinging from the strands. DH said that we should enclose it into a plexi-glass box if we were smart
And I never use tinsel because I don't want "Poop on a String" or worse, a trip to the vet.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Thank god I have a pre-lit tree so they won't be swinging from the strands. DH said that we should enclose it into a plexi-glass box if we were smart
And I never use tinsel because I don't want "Poop on a String" or worse, a trip to the vet.
They really are the most reckless creatures, aren't they?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

They really are the most reckless creatures, aren't they?
Yes, they are. This morning I'm trying to figure out why Cooter has dust all over his head and tail.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Satai

Do you have a chimney? Maybe he was cleaning it for Santa.
Nope, no chimney here in Florida. I'm thinking he was creeping around behind the dresser last night

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For years the bottom limbs of our tree held plastic ornaments - just in case. Luckily we never had a tree climber.

Maybe you could train Cooter to use a dust rag. No, I'm serious. Alycia? Stop laughing so hard. You could strain something.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

For years the bottom limbs of our tree held plastic ornaments - just in case. Luckily we never had a tree climber.

Maybe you could train Cooter to use a dust rag. No, I'm serious. Alycia? Stop laughing so hard. You could strain something.
I could attached a Swiffer Duster to him and send him on his way!
The way they bounce around the house, there wouldn't be a dust bunny in sight!