Since I am not quite sure where to post this

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll do it here and if it's not in the right spot.....mods-I'm sorry!!!!!

I know we all joke around about our kittys antics and getting into trouble.But, what do you do when it is something that can possibly be serious?
Here is my dilema;
I have posted about Lilly getting into the garbage a few times.It wasn't nothing to be too upset about.That is until just a few minutes ago.

My DS took the garbage out a little bit ago,so the bag wasn't even half full.I fixed Banquet chicken for supper.All kits have food out and were given their wet food for their treat and ALL ate their fill of it.
I just heard a sound in the Kitchen and looked and there sat Lilly as pretty as you please on a litter container under the counter sticking half of her body in the garbage bag eating chicken--on the BONE.

I love all of my babies, but this has gone on far to long now.
What can I do to discourage her from garbage raiding? I bought the *stay off* spray and that stuff is a JOKE!!! I have a 13 gallon garbage can-no lid.I have no where to put it other than where it is at right now.I do not have a lid for it.
I can go out and buy a can with a lid,but how is that teaching her that is a NO NO? She has even been getting on the kitchen table lately and that is also a NO NO! She knows it to, because she will jump down and run into the Living room.
I've clapped my hands,yelled,made a loud thump sound on the floor,used the can with pennies trick..........nothing is deturing her from this.It's getting worse actually.
And to be honest, it's making me upset

They eat Maxiumum kitten food(dry) and Wellness wet food.They have dry out 24/7 with LOTS of fresh water with ice.
What is the deal? Any suggestions?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We had to get small trash cans with lids for the bathrooms because I couldn't get Lucy to stop getting a hold of q-tips. There wasn't any other solution that worked for us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oddly enough, she doesn't go into the bathroom and mess with the garbage in there.It's only the Kitchen one.
And I think the other kits are learning her ways too.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe use a spray bottle and spray and make alot of noise when she goes near it. Also does she know off or down. If so just give that command. All my cats learned it except for Annie.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got a garbage w/ a lid since our cats started to "raid" our trash too, but they've since learned how to knock the lid off of it. So now we put the bad things (EX: chicken bones) in a trash can on the enclosed porch. It also contains their used litter so they don't knock the lid off of it and the yucky stuff is safe from them getting to it.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've even tried spraying Lysol around the can and in it to keep her away from it..............no luck. NOT on the stuff in the can, but between the can and the bag.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

Maybe use a spray bottle and spray and make alot of noise when she goes near it. Also does she know off or down. If so just give that command. All my cats learned it except for Annie.
She knows she's doing wrong too.She runs as soon as I see her or say her name

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to wal-mart and get one of those stainless steel trash cans that you step on - no way she can get into that
Hehehe, it is wolf proof too- keeps Ginger (my wolf mix) out like a charm). They are a bit more pricy than a normal plastic trash can, but definitely worth it. In the mean time- no strangling my cute little God Kitty, she was only hungry momma!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

She knows she's doing wrong too.She runs as soon as I see her or say her name
Hmmm Can you sneak up on her and spray her before she see's you. I had to be very sneaky with keeping Kitten off of my mouse cage. She kept trying to break in. I would hide around the corner and then just peak around and squirt. She hasnt done it in weaks she avoids it like the plague. Of course Im really not very tolerant of bad behavior from any of my brats. They know what they are allowed to do and if I catch them doing something bad they think Im gonna get em bad. And I dont know how I got my bluff in. LOL I have tons of stuff that the animals make a HUGE circle around staring nervously at it as the go by. I just taught them to be scared of the thing they mess with.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course Im really not very tolerant of bad behavior from any of my brats. They know what they are allowed to do and if I catch them doing something bad they think Im gonna get em bad.
Oh believe me, I do NOT tolerate this either and if DH saw it, she would be in the dog house for sure.
I'm gonna get another garbage can, over the weekend..............and maybe a squirt bottle.
Nikki, the only bad thing about buying the stainless steel ones are, I have 6 people in my house and those are pretty small.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may also want to try to put anything that could possibly smell enticing to her, in zip lock bags before they go into the trash.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about bitter apple, but I'd have to put it in the garbage can on the food and then we couldn't put anything else in the can.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I thought about bitter apple, but I'd have to put it in the garbage can on the food and then we couldn't put anything else in the can.
Just to warn you Bagheera, Kitten AND Annie Rose all LOVE bitter apple. Jada also doesnt mind it. I dunno if I just have stranges animals or what but that stuff doesnt work for me.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She would probably LOVE it too then.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammy walmart has the stainless steel trash cans and they are the big cans. I am going to have to get one for my kitchen because of my dog who is actually named Lilly. And she knows its bad to get in the trash but she waits until I leave she will sit and watch me walk out the door and then she is in to whatever it is that she wants.

katje

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing: training cats and making them feel uncomfortable with water spraying and loud noises may work when they are doing something that they just enjoy.
This is food we are talking about. Nothing, I repeat, nothing will keep them away from the trash. Cats are opportunists. Thats how they survive. And they will risk just about anything for it.
I have a trashcan that is fully covered and stands in the middle of the kitchen, making it therefore very hard to knock the lid off, and i keep all the candy and stuff in closed cubboards and the stuff i dont have room for in their carriers. I figure, if they cant get out, they cant get in. So far they have only managed once to raid one of the carriers, and that was because i didnt close it all the way. It works. This is one of the few times you will have to adapt to the cat. When it comes to food, there is no training them. They will just do it behind your back if you try

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You really do need to get a trash can that they can't get into and/or take anything potentially dangerous outside straight away. You can't expect them to ignore the aroma of chicken on the bone when it's there for the taking. I don't know many cats who would let that go.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I was growing up, we had this same problem with our dogs. We tried the lid on the can and all that stuff. Nothing worked. We finally had to move the trash can into the pantry and leave the door shut at all times. The trash can has remained there to this day and my dad has no more animals living at home with him!

So, long story short. You might need to move it to a place that's inaccessible to the kitties. In the pantry or under the sink with a cabinet door shut.

You may also want to consider putting your meat scraps in a bag in the freezer, then tossing them out on garbage day. That's what we do with ours since we only have trash pick up once a week.

Stephanie

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had zero problems because we always had a trash with a cover or now we have a cupboard with slide out trash bins. That's the only way to keep your pets out of the food trash.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

When I was growing up, we had this same problem with our dogs. We tried the lid on the can and all that stuff. Nothing worked. We finally had to move the trash can into the pantry and leave the door shut at all times. The trash can has remained there to this day and my dad has no more animals living at home with him!

So, long story short. You might need to move it to a place that's inaccessible to the kitties. In the pantry or under the sink with a cabinet door shut.

You may also want to consider putting your meat scraps in a bag in the freezer, then tossing them out on garbage day. That's what we do with ours since we only have trash pick up once a week.

Stephanie
I don't have anywhere that I can put the trash can.Unless, I want to put it in the bathroom.Our pantry is an open area and there is no door on it.---it conects with our laudry room.
I won't put it in a cabinet, cause I don't feel comfortable doing that.To me, that is just unsanitary....and I don't feel comfortable with putting them in the freezer either.

I'm putting them into ziploc bags and then putting used cat litter that I have scooped on top of that in the garbage can.So far, it is working for us.