Hermit Crabs

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mr. Puff has yet to see them...lol. But I am a hermit crab enthusiast. Most people do not get why people like to have hermit crabs. Honestly if you don't like them you won't get it...lol.

Anyone else here own them??

Here's pics of my 4.

Diablo after a molt. He was unwilling to come out for me.

Sebastian with a fresh coconut. Man he loved that thing!

Sebastian again

Phoenix chillin out.

Rogue.

Diablo checking out the salt water.

Ariel. RIP. Lost this one to a bad molt.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nephews have them and brought them to my house when they came for a visit this summer...We had them up high away from the cats!!! They love their hermit crabs!!! How long have you had them? How long do they generally live?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had them for 6 months I think. It depends on how well you take care of them as for how long they live. I've heard of some living 15yrs though. Though the norm seems to be more around 5 yrs especially in captivity and away from their natural habitat.

They seem like they would be easy to care for. But their not! They are a lot of work in keeping humidity and temp in acceptable ranges.

I've had two successful molts so far. I'm waiting on Sebastian and Phoenix to come back up.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fortunately I live in an island country. Hermit crabs are fascinating and best enjoyed in the open sea/beach. I can watch them for hours.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very cool pictures!, I've never had a hermit crab but they look fascinating

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my kids where younger we had 3 hermit crabs. I used to let them out to walk around the house. One year the large one climbed up into the Christmas tree. We sure had a heck of a time finding him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

salemwitchchild

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

When my kids where younger we had 3 hermit crabs. I used to let them out to walk around the house. One year the large one climbed up into the Christmas tree. We sure had a heck of a time finding him.
Oh no! lol. Thankfully we've only had one escape attempt and he was found quickly.