Is it Catsup or is it Ketchup??

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had hot dogs last night and low and behold, I discovered two bottles of tomato stuff in our fridge, one was labeled as CATSUP and the other as KETCHUP. My wife suggested that the CATSUP had to be for cats and the KETCHUP for dogs because, well CATSUP is obvious and people with both cats and dogs already know that dogs are always trying to KETCH UP with cats. Any other ideas?

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely ketchup! But I think it's a matter of opinion. I prefer "ketchup" because that is how I pronounce it. A friend of mine prefers "catsup" because that's how he pronounces it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
When I was a kid (1960s), it was spelled "catsup", probably derived from the name for an Asian fish sauce http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=k&p=1 , but somewhere along the line "ketchup" became the more usual spelling. The same goes for "sceptical" and "skeptical". "To gift" and "to impact" are fairly recent verbs, too. English is a very "dynamic" language.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

You and your wife are both funny people!
I hope that doesnt sound wrong, what I mean is I always read your posts and you usually have something very humorous to say and it sounds like your wife does, too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I hope that doesnt sound wrong, what I mean is I always read your posts and you usually have something very humorous to say and it sounds like your wife does, too!
Thank you and I do understand.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

It's tomato sauce.
I've had to start saying Ketchup because no one knows what tomato sauce means around here

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lived in Michigan, it was catsup.
Now in the south, it's ketchup!

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found out recently that some people call it Catsup. I saw it on a sign at a grocery store and asked Johns sister Sarah what Catsup was and she laughed at me.