Color and Behavior

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I missed the Feline Genetics forum with Dr. Elizabeth Oltenacu.
So I'll ask the resident experts this question. Is there a link between a cats coloring and their behaivor? I came across a posting in another message board for siamese cats where someone was pointing out the different behaivor patterns with regard to color. I know that temperament is largely environmental, but what if anything, does a cats coat color have to do with it? And for anyone who can answer that question, heres another: How?

Thanks!

Tiffany

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Tiffanyjbt,

I'm sure others will come along that know more concerning your question, however personally I've never noticed a difference in my cats behaviors based on their color. I think more then anything for my animals it is based on their parents and how well they were socialized before I got them. And of course, they are individuals with big personalities.

I've only had blues and seals. If you don't mind sharing, what do they say the different behavior traits are for the different colors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by siameseohio

I've only had blues and seals. If you don't mind sharing, what do they say the different behavior traits are for the different colors?
This is from a very large siamese forum. I'm not going to post a link or the breeders name, but they are very knowledgeable about the breed. I don't know how true any of this is, but it got the wheels turnin' cause I have a chocolate point right now and was debating getting a blue point (blues look so regal!) I ended up getting a bengal, but thats off topic:
In pedigreed Siamese, it has everything to do with colour, as colour is a indicator & precursor to predominant genetic character traits.....Moreover your breeder's summation & tabling of the traits is correct...unlike humans, pedigreed cats' personalities are mostly based on inherited traits & inherited temperament- early handling is a factor, but a given in the modern day reputable- registered breeder....Parentage is paramount & is the defining factor, I can assure you through clinical citing & hard, proven data...

...a large amount of shaping & control can be achieved when it is a matter of pedigree......Seals act like the Seals before them, Blues like Blues....etc....nurture doesn't quite have the same effect in felines I'm afraid.....If mom runs under the bed & is mean, so will the offspring be..especially if the dad also has crappy temperament.......despite counterconditioning you've bred a mean, temperamental litter that will be unpredictable & skittish- it will be a LIFELONG issue in each of them.

Parentage is soooo very, very important.

ANYhoo.....

Blues are passive & won't pole for dominance with one another or those in the upper & forever gregarious Siamese hierarchy (that being the alpha Seal, or Veetah Chocolate)......in most cases, when it comes to pedigreed Siamese, colour is actually more important than sex or age.....I will spare you the lengthy response to explain those that mistakenly mix Seals thinking age & opposite sex matter.....eekkk! In pedigrees-- An established Dominant Female Seal may very well NOT care that the next newly added Seal is 5 years older &/or a boy/male.....it is just as likely that your house will desinigrate into a war zone, or a silent protest of improper elimination will begin....gotta mix your Seals carefully.

2 years is a fine gap given that this will be a kitten....you've waited the perfect amount of time.....

The Chocolate Point will dominant the Blue regardless of sex....but due to their genetic gregariousness it will be welcomed & expected...she'll ease into position almost effortlessly......(a bit of short-lived rough & tumble is normal....especially with energetic kittens. DON"T SWEAT IT! *warm smiles*)......either of the choices you've presented are a fantastic match.....take your pick & enjoy......a Chocolate is like NOOOOOO other colour.....emotional, very vocal, dynamic....imagine a really sensitive Seal.....hard to imagine...lol...but please do.
*smiles*
First, I have no idea what this person meant by "Veetah" Chocolate. If anyone here knows, please enlighten me. Second, there were quite a few people who were not in agreement with these statements.

I've never owned any other siamese cat other than my chocolate point Sir Duke. I don't know how he'd react with other siamese, but he gets along with the few other cats that we've fostered thus far. He is VERY vocal and needy though!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically color and behavior has nothing to do with each other. HOWEVER

In "general" it seems that torties and to a lesser extent calicos, seem to have an "attitude" about them that the other colors don't. All my torties had that - they would pick fights more often, try to be boss cats, etc. Most people with torties say they are goofy in the head - the colors are mixed up so it makes them mixed up

I find that the dilute colors (blue/cream) seem to have a shyer personality or happy-go-lucky one. Red tabbys (especially the boys) ARE wild, easy going, goofy, and love to have fun. In my first litter of cornish rex I had 3 red tabby boys. Rexes are goofy to start with, but those 3 red boys took the cake. They were constantly into everything and racing each other up, over, and around the furniture, etc. While rex kittens are active, these red tabby boys were even more so. I used to call them "the red-headed gang"

It really is the individual cat, but I've seen enough over the years to kinda link color and personality.

felicia's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Technically color and behavior has nothing to do with each other. HOWEVER

In "general" it seems that torties and to a lesser extent calicos, seem to have an "attitude" about them that the other colors don't. All my torties had that - they would pick fights more often, try to be boss cats, etc.
It really is the individual cat, but I've seen enough over the years to kinda link color and personality.
Thanks GoldenKitty45, I didn't think they had anything to do with each other.

I was always told that the more red in a tortie or calico had coat, the worse the temper.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Messybeast has an article about colour and temperament, i only agreed with the tortie bit though!! i think it is due to the red gene, and we all know red headed humans have similar characteristics!! Might check it again now to see if Molly fits their description of blacks!!

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

This is from a very large siamese forum. I'm not going to post a link or the breeders name, but they are very knowledgeable about the breed. I don't know how true any of this is, but it got the wheels turnin' cause I have a chocolate point right now and was debating getting a blue point (blues look so regal!) I ended up getting a bengal, but thats off topic:
In pedigreed Siamese, it has everything to do with colour, as colour is a indicator & precursor to predominant genetic character traits.....Moreover your breeder's summation & tabling of the traits is correct...unlike humans, pedigreed cats' personalities are mostly based on inherited traits & inherited temperament- early handling is a factor, but a given in the modern day reputable- registered breeder....Parentage is paramount & is the defining factor, I can assure you through clinical citing & hard, proven data...

...a large amount of shaping & control can be achieved when it is a matter of pedigree......Seals act like the Seals before them, Blues like Blues....etc....nurture doesn't quite have the same effect in felines I'm afraid.....If mom runs under the bed & is mean, so will the offspring be..especially if the dad also has crappy temperament.......despite counterconditioning you've bred a mean, temperamental litter that will be unpredictable & skittish- it will be a LIFELONG issue in each of them.

Parentage is soooo very, very important.

ANYhoo.....

Blues are passive & won't pole for dominance with one another or those in the upper & forever gregarious Siamese hierarchy (that being the alpha Seal, or Veetah Chocolate)......in most cases, when it comes to pedigreed Siamese, colour is actually more important than sex or age.....I will spare you the lengthy response to explain those that mistakenly mix Seals thinking age & opposite sex matter.....eekkk! In pedigrees-- An established Dominant Female Seal may very well NOT care that the next newly added Seal is 5 years older &/or a boy/male.....it is just as likely that your house will desinigrate into a war zone, or a silent protest of improper elimination will begin....gotta mix your Seals carefully.

2 years is a fine gap given that this will be a kitten....you've waited the perfect amount of time.....

The Chocolate Point will dominant the Blue regardless of sex....but due to their genetic gregariousness it will be welcomed & expected...she'll ease into position almost effortlessly......(a bit of short-lived rough & tumble is normal....especially with energetic kittens. DON"T SWEAT IT! *warm smiles*)......either of the choices you've presented are a fantastic match.....take your pick & enjoy......a Chocolate is like NOOOOOO other colour.....emotional, very vocal, dynamic....imagine a really sensitive Seal.....hard to imagine...lol...but please do.
*smiles*
First, I have no idea what this person meant by "Veetah" Chocolate. If anyone here knows, please enlighten me. Second, there were quite a few people who were not in agreement with these statements.

I've never owned any other siamese cat other than my chocolate point Sir Duke. I don't know how he'd react with other siamese, but he gets along with the few other cats that we've fostered thus far. He is VERY vocal and needy though!
Thanks tiffanyjbt,

Very interesting. I think I'll start paying closer attention to see whether I can see any differences.