Spaying/Nuetering FINALLY Happening!

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Spots and her babies in this morning. I had been a bit frustrated because they told me numerous times over the phone that they will NOT spay her if still still has milk, and would not do the babies until they are 4 months old.
Well, keeping them apart has been hell! They are almost as big as she is and they were still following her around trying to nurse! Sometimes she let them, other times she got and and walked away.
Anyway, I made the appointment for the babies (about 13 days shy of them being 4 months) and for the heck of it, brought Spots in too, figuring I would just take her home if they couldn't do her...well they said they WILL do her but will send her home with anti-biotics just to be on the safe side!!!

So all my little kits are at the clinic and will be picked up later this afternoon!!!

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont know what the big deal was with them, many places will even spay a mother with newborn kittens!

Im glad you finally got her in though, it must have been nerve wracking!

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow 4mons? Your poor poor women lol, my vet is taking in all 5 of my kittens at 8-10wks and he will take the mom at the same time. He has done a lot of early altering so i'm confident all well go well. Plus i already have 3 others racking my head off. lol

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm getting my mama cat and her 2 13 week old kittens spayed within the next couple weeks too. I'm just waiting for the place to call me back so I can set up the appointment.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mowsluver

I took Spots and her babies in this morning. I had been a bit frustrated because they told me numerous times over the phone that they will NOT spay her if still still has milk, and would not do the babies until they are 4 months old.
Well, keeping them apart has been hell! They are almost as big as she is and they were still following her around trying to nurse! Sometimes she let them, other times she got and and walked away.
Anyway, I made the appointment for the babies (about 13 days shy of them being 4 months) and for the heck of it, brought Spots in too, figuring I would just take her home if they couldn't do her...well they said they WILL do her but will send her home with anti-biotics just to be on the safe side!!!

So all my little kits are at the clinic and will be picked up later this afternoon!!!
Congratulations!!! I know you have been waiting to get them all spayed/neutered..and thank you for fixing the kittens and mom. That way the new owners will not have to worry about any unplanned litters.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I must say, that I was glad to get it done...BUT...mom is NOT a happy camper. She looks SO very uncomfortable! Her hip bones are sticking out--she looks 'hollow' now, if that makes any sense? I feel so bad for her!
The boys are just fine and the female kitten is doing pretty good too, but mom....man oh man do I feel bad!
Because she had some milk still and that is where they cut, they sent her home with anti-biotics and the girls need to go back in 2 weeks to get the stitches out.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. My cat had a complete hysterectomy when she got spayed because she was pregnant and the kittens had died inside of her. When I picked her up she was SOOOOOO skinny. She could barely walk. I thought she was giong to die from being underwieght. Its okay now though...
It hasn't even been 3 months and she now weighs about 12 lbs(guessing). Last time I took her to the vet she looked normal and weighed 10 lbs. Now she looks really fat, so I assume she weighs AT LEAST 12 lbs.

Don't worry, I'm sure your mama cat will gain weight soon.

How is the female kitten doing? How old is she? I'm getting my 2 13 week olds done and I just want to know what it will be like.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on having them all spayed/neutered.

Charlotte is six months old and I took her in to be spayed last tuesday. I worry about all of her running, jumping and bouncing around but she's doing great and the place where the incision was is clean with no redness. The little rascal did remove one of her stitches though.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

Congrats on having them all spayed/neutered.

Charlotte is six months old and I took her in to be spayed last tuesday. I worry about all of her running, jumping and bouncing around but she's doing great and the place where the incision was is clean with no redness. The little rascal did remove one of her stitches though.
Congrats on getting your girl fixed!! Some vets are starting to use dissolving stitches and glue so that the cats do not have to come back to get the stitches removed.

Katie

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens are 16 weeks old, they were born July 30. They are doing fine, even the female, she is up and running and jumping like nothing happened! Mom is still REALLY sore.
Maybe they did a total hysterectomy on her...
...I am going to ask when I take her back to get the stitches out. She looks so hollow in front of her hipbones, almost like there is nothing in there! She is still walking kind of stiff and wants to just sleep. ( I have to admit, i do that too-sleep-when i don't feel good!)
Or maybe she is just having it hard because she still had milk???? All I know is that when we had our other female done a couple years ago, she didn't take it so hard.
But once again, the babies are doing just great!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do people get thier kittens spayed at 8-10 weeks of age? Isn't that kind of cruel? I mean thier still babies, why put them through all of that at such a young age?

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, from the research that has been done recently (I read up on it when I was looking to get my foster kitten fixed
), it is actually easier on a cat, the younger they are -they bounce back quicker, the surgery goes faster, because there are less layers of fat to get through, and there is less blood loss. Believe me, I was shocked too, when I first read that they did them so young, but I changed my mind after I read A LOT of articles on it, both here and on my own
. Of course, no one around here would fix her before 6 months, and at 5 months she came into heat
. I called and told them what happened, and they fixed her the next week

Oh, cute name Btw- I have a Bean too- a Butterbean (that gets shortened to "Bean" quite often)!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whick is more cruel...Fixing them at 3 months or having them get pregnant at 4 months?

My cat got preggers at 4 months and she was so tiny. I was scared I would lose her. She made a great mommy, but she had a long, hard labor because her little body was not ready for it.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

Why do people get thier kittens spayed at 8-10 weeks of age? Isn't that kind of cruel? I mean thier still babies, why put them through all of that at such a young age?
Clairebear...it is a GREAT question....and I really do recommend that you read this report that has come out regarding the benefits of pediatric spaying/neutering. The kittens we spay/neuter at 10-12 weeks of age bounce back so quickly.

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, I have a quick update!

All seem to be doing fine now, though the mom had a rough few days, she seems to be close to 'normal' again!!

The girl and one of the boys went to their new home on Sunday and have settled in pretty well. The last one--who we are keeping--has cried a bit but the mom hardly noticed they are gone!

I want to thank everyone on here for helping me through the whole thing...pregnancy, labor, etc...I don't know how I would have done it without all of you!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mowsluver

Well, I have a quick update!

All seem to be doing fine now, though the mom had a rough few days, she seems to be close to 'normal' again!!

The girl and one of the boys went to their new home on Sunday and have settled in pretty well. The last one--who we are keeping--has cried a bit but the mom hardly noticed they are gone!

I want to thank everyone on here for helping me through the whole thing...pregnancy, labor, etc...I don't know how I would have done it without all of you!
What a wonderful ending...and I do hope you plan to stay around and share your knowledge with new posters.

Katie