Calling all foodies!!!!!!! Baking help needed!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I'm not sure if it's really baking?! Candy making is probably more like it...

Anyway! This weekend I'm making chocolate truffles & I have a few different flavor combinations to try (this is my 1st practice run for Christmas)

* Amaretto
* Grand Marnier
* Franjelico (I have no idea how to spell that)
* Plain chocolate

For example- when making the Amaretto you add the alcohol and a little bit of almond extract into the chocolate before it hardens....

Well- can I use almond syrup in place of the extract?

I tried looking online but I can't find anything. I assume the syrup is not going to be as potent as the extract so I would have to use more, but how much!? My mom had 4 syrups (perfect for the flavors I'm making!) that she never uses so she gave them to me, but I don't know if I can use them... We're going to the store tonight so I will be able to get all of my extracts then in case these syrups don't work out.

Thanks!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you check Epicurious.com for truffle recipes?? Or Martha Stewarts website??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nope- I've already found the recipes I am using off of allrecipes.com

Thanks for the suggestions though- I've never been to epicurious.com, I went and checked it out and it looks like a cool site!

I just didn't know if you can substitue a flavored syrup for the same flavored extract
I'd hate to just give it a shot and ruin a batch of chocolate!

schwarzekatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

Well- can I use almond syrup in place of the extract?

I tried looking online but I can't find anything. I assume the syrup is not going to be as potent as the extract so I would have to use more, but how much!? My mom had 4 syrups (perfect for the flavors I'm making!) that she never uses so she gave them to me, but I don't know if I can use them... We're going to the store tonight so I will be able to get all of my extracts then in case these syrups don't work out.

Thanks!
I would say no. You don't want to put more liquid into your truffles than the recipe calls for. The chocolate has to be the right consistency to set. Wait until you go to the store and get the extracts that you need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SchwarzeKatz

I would say no. You don't want to put more liquid into your truffles than the recipe calls for. The chocolate has to be the right consistency to set. Wait until you go to the store and get the extracts that you need.
Well that makes sense!!! I'll just get my extracts and play it on the safe side!! Thanks