Science Fiction

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering how many fans of science fiction there were on the site and what shows you liked to watch.

I always liked to watch the original Star Trek and the original Battlestar Galactica series- as cheesy as they were at the time the effects were pretty good for tv.

Babylon 5 is an all-time favorite of mine. I also liked Deep Space 9 and Farscape. Stargate SG-1 is also high on my list.

At first I didn't like the new Battlestar Galactica series on SciFi but the more I watch it the more I have grown to like it. It's quite a bit different from the original series and much darker. It's definately not a "family" show like the original.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does Sea Quest count? I watch them all!!!! With all the new vs old (BG, Star Trek, etc), I ignore the fact that there was an old one and do not compare the two shows at all and just enjot the ones being shown.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a fan but of books, not shows! Unless you count Star Wars of course - the originals not the newest three...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like sci fi original Star Trek,and next gen, and the one that just went off the air enterprise.

the original Battlestar Galactica, was out when i was a kid, and i hated it.

as i got older and saw it again, hmm i still could not stand it. Which is why season 2 of new show was out before i even saw it. I noticed that a friend of mine who hated sci fi loved the show, but another friend who loved sci fi hated it. i borrowed the DVD from the first friend of season one ,and loved it. I asked the second friend why he did not like it, he said that was to much talking in it haha.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read many science fiction books but I have read Frank Herbert's Dune and liked it very much.

Epsiodes IV, V and VI of Star Wars were great but I couldn't stand I, II and III. There was too much of a dependence on special effects rather than the characters and the story.

Bryan

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A quick Hijack!

Hey Bruce, did you just realise that Essayons89 is a guy????

Anyway - I like frank herbert but there are other authors I like better - like Piers Anthony, Anne McCaffrey...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abymummy

A quick Hijack!

Hey Bruce, did you just realise that Essayons89 is a guy????

what!!!! guys on a cat board. are we sure that is allowed here

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ron Hubbard wrote Battlefield Earth-I think that is a good book-bad movie but a good book!!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Ron Hubbard wrote Battlefield Earth-I think that is a good book-bad movie but a good book!!
the book was great, the movie was hmm ranks right there with the killer veggis movies

i forgot to add i like the new dr.who also, but i do miss the no budget of the old BBC shows

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

the book was great, the movie was hmm ranks right there with the killer veggis movies

i forgot to add i like the new dr.who also, but i do miss the no budget of the old BBC shows
Dr. Whoooo, Tardis!!!! I feel old, I remember that!!! With the extremely loooong muffler!

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
BIG SciFi fan here. Both books (Anne McCaffrey is tops) and movies. I like all of the Star Trek series and the SG-1. But I just couldn't get into the new BattleStar Gallactica series. Have fell in love with the new Dr Who!!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a huge Sci-fi fan. Babylon 5, Firefly, Star Trek , Star trek next gen, Star trek DS9, Star trek voyager, Star wars..... well all of it. I even only read Sci-fi books.

I am a real Freek!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Dr. Whoooo, Tardis!!!! I feel old, I remember that!!! With the extremely loooong muffler!
yep that was the really tall dr. who with the curly hair... hmmm tom barker? baker something like that he was the one i liked the best.

oh yea, about Anne McCaffrey,i was jsut reading where once again they are hunting for a script to try and make a movie from teh dragon riders books

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tom Baker, best Doctor imo.

I love Doctor Who, both classic and new series. Torchwood seems to be ok so far. Loved Blake's 7 when I was a kid. Love the Star Wars films of course. I'm always keen to see sci-fi films, but so many of them are a bit of a let down, I thought the remake of War of the Worlds was appalling, but then I don't like remakes full stop.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My tastes kind of run to the older science fiction. Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, Ghidrah, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Them, The Deadly Mantis, the original The Thing, the original The Blob, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The Creature from the Black Lagoon.

I watch the SciFi channel for the movies, most of them are not up to par, but it's the best we have right now.

For books, Ray Bradbury, Issac Asimov, Andre Norton.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Slyvester McCoy was the bestest Dr Who :p

Enjoy Heroes so much I'd have to say it is my favourite show at the moment. Also enjoy Torchwood (I think the quality of the episodes varies) as well as Lost though watch more comedy than sci-fi

Favourite sci-fi movies are Silent Running, 2001, Event Horizon and Cube

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fan of the Star Trek Universe though not as much as back in the 70s and 80s. (Have the autographs of the original series stars except for Shatner.) I just completed my collection of all the movies on DVD this past summer.

Unfortunately, the SF shows all seem to be on stations the TV can't get or on cable/satellite (too expensive for me).

I loooove Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes! (
Puberty looooove..." ) (The credits are a hoot to read!
)

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The whole family used to sit down and watch Dr Who when we were kids (rare event). I remember having nightmares from some of the "scary" scenes!

Originally Posted by Epona

Tom Baker, best Doctor imo.

I love Doctor Who, both classic and new series. Torchwood seems to be ok so far. Loved Blake's 7 when I was a kid.
I used to have a crush on one of the Blake's 7 guys!

I love the new Battlestar Galatica. IMO, best show on TV!
I'm right into Stargate and all the Star Treks. I don't like the Stargate Atlantis though.