Upper respiratory vaccination question

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gypsy saw our vet on Saturday for her first checkup
Everything looked good, and she got a vaccination for rabies and upper respiratory diseases. Today, she's been sneezing and her eyes are runny. The vet warned me she might get sneezy, but I expected it a bit sooner. Ivo's always reacted well to the vaccination, so this is new to me. Is it normal that Gypsy would have a reaction 5 days later?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was it the injection or the intra-nasal vaccine? I have known of cats who get a little sneezy after the nasal one, but I don't have any experience at all with such a reaction from the injection.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Molly and Abby had sneezing before 3-4 days after the intra-nasal vaccine. Five days doesn't seem too excessive to me.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's very interesting that you should bring that up. I gave my family their 4-1 vaccines about a week ago, and figured that no one had a reaction, yet KittenKiya did. I had to forcefeed him some water and give some wet food because his nose was all blocked up. He is fine now, but I have batted my head against the wall for days trying to figure out what was going on. Now I can take some Excedrin and some Vodka and I will be fine. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Was it the injection or the intra-nasal vaccine? I have known of cats who get a little sneezy after the nasal one, but I don't have any experience at all with such a reaction from the injection.
It was the intra-nasal vaccine. I spoke to the vet today...For anyone else experiencing this, sneezing can come 5 days after the vaccination. Symptoms may last as long as a week. As long as kitty is eating and acting OK, it's a normal reaction. Sneezing and slightly runny eyes are also a normal reaction. If there is colored discharge or red inflamation, call the vet.