Am I wrong?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are about three things I like about my apartment. 1. It's just the right size for DH, the boys, and I. 2. I have a wonderful view. 3. The heat is free.

It's the third one on the list that I am seeking opinions about. DH keeps turning down the heat, but I figure why bother? If youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re hot, go grab a t-shirt. Am I wrong for wanting to keep our tiny little place at 82, or should I conced and turn the heat down?

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am always cold so I say crank up that heat if its FREE
I know i would if mine was free LOL

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think theres a right or wrong to this. Its more what temperture your comfortable living at. I like to be warm but I think 82 would be abit to warm for me even. Maybe a compromise a little lower temp ,Try 78 and wear a sweat shirt and he can wear a t-shirt.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I guess the only thing I can say is to not waste it because each unit of energy you use has a social cost in pollution and impact on the environment.

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We only have one of them really old floor heater and it sits in the livingroom floor so we dont get hardly any heat at all from there that is why i say what i said i just miss having real heat in the winter.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, we don't pay for the heat or electricity and I don't leave on lights or have the heat up because I care about the environmental effects of doing so, plus I HATE being too hot or too cold so I just leave it at 72-74.

If I am away, he turns up the heat

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The compromise sounds like a good solution. With maybe you wearing something a little heavier and him something lighter.

I have to say as a hot blooded individual, 82 for me, would be way too hot. Everyone has their different comfort levels.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

There are about three things I like about my apartment. 1. It's just the right size for DH, the boys, and I. 2. I have a wonderful view. 3. The heat is free.

It's the third one on the list that I am seeking opinions about. DH keeps turning down the heat, but I figure why bother? If you’re hot, go grab a t-shirt. Am I wrong for wanting to keep our tiny little place at 82, or should I conced and turn the heat down?
82!?
No shirt necessary in that climate!
Your heating bill must be pretty high.

Whoops. You mentioned the heat is free. I would keep it high too, but probably not 82.

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Free heat? Goodness, I bet they are grumbling at your heating costs.

There is a social and environmental cost to keeping it so high all the time. I'd say 82 is way too hot... you can wear a sweater and turn it down to say, 76. There are space heaters, you know.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow 82 degrees? that is uncomfortably hot for me! I totally don't blame him. Try putting on a sweatshirt, hoodie, fleece, sweater, etc...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
82!?! I'm melting!!!!!!!!! considering I keep mine on 65 and I still get hot at night

but I'd go for a compromise

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I never had it that hot in the apartment B and I lived in...the hottest was 75. Do you prance around in your bikini all winter for him?
J/K.

The only downside with cranking up the heat when its "Free" Is that it could effect the cost of your apartment. When we were leaving the apartment 1 year ago today, the complex was posting contests all over where they would randomly knock on your door and if the thermostat was set at 60 degrees, you would get $100 off your next months rent.
When I got curious and checked last the price of those apartments went up $100. So cranking up the heat does effect the price of your apartment.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I personally can't crank it above 72F. If I'm still cold, I start layering up. I think it was my mother keeping an eagle on the thermostat.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The highest mine goes is 72 when my sister lived with me she would turn it up to 82 and my gas ran out.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

It's the third one on the list that I am seeking opinions about. DH keeps turning down the heat, but I figure why bother? If youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re hot, go grab a t-shirt. Am I wrong for wanting to keep our tiny little place at 82, or should I conced and turn the heat down?
82!!!!!!!!!! OMG! I'd be sweating buckets with that temperature in my apartment! 70 is comfortable.

Think about it this way, it's easier to put on more clothing to warm up, than it is to try and cool down in a sauna.

I'm on your DH's side with this one

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I guess the only thing I can say is to not waste it because each unit of energy you use has a social cost in pollution and impact on the environment.
We try not to use any heating/cooling - luckily living in CA we generally don't need to!

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

I agree. Most of us are unaware of how our small actions impact globally - but it does add up.

The planet has x resources and y people - that's all it can afford.

Unfortuantely, most people in the west have a cost of 3y - multiply that again by the sheer number of us there are.

I am agrophobic, and basically housebound - and I still have a cost of 1.5y. It's had to keep your personal cost down. I'll see if I can find a test you can do to figure out what you cost, and where you might be able to save.