Would you take a walk outside during deer hunting season??

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since November 6th I have been taking morning walks at about 7 am for 35 minutes. I live in a semi-rural area. Well Satursay started the gun deer season thru Nov 26th. There are hunters along the route I take. I have a bright orange pullover that I can wear. Since the weather still is mild I would like to continue walking outside as long as possible. Would you do so in these conditions??

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as I had Blaze Orange, yes I would.
I would stay on the road though.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also whistle when I walk.Which is VERY rare for me.

Do you have the law that they can't shoot from the road?Meaning, they have to be in the field/woods to shoot them.
If not, then NO I wouldn't walk.But, if yes, then I would feel safe.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PLEASE DON'T! A woman was killed in the area a little while ago because she had gone out walking where there was hunting. http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/CityandR...89193-sun.html She didn't realize the season had started. She was wearing a RED coat, which is pretty visable. The hunter has been charged, but IT HAPPENED. Even an orange vest is no guarantee.....I wouldn't chance it. Is there another route you can take?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Since November 6th I have been taking morning walks at about 7 am for 35 minutes. I live in a semi-rural area. Well Satursay started the gun deer season thru Nov 26th. There are hunters along the route I take. I have a bright orange pullover that I can wear. Since the weather still is mild I would like to continue walking outside as long as possible. Would you do so in these conditions??
While wearing a bright orange vest, yes.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also live in a rural area. Deer season opened here the 1st of Oct and ends the last Saturday of the month.Deer hunters walk across my lawn to go up into the woods behind my house. I wear orange to just go out into my yard! I hear guns going off all day long.
Wearing orange will alert hunters to the fact that your not a deer! But most hunting accident at least around here aren't people being shot at. But from stray bullets that have missed their targets (the deer). I too like to take morning walks. But this time of year I don't dare. Orange clothes on or not.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do at the cottage during hunting season - just wear something bright and try to stay to roads / open areas where it is clear that you are a person

Maybe walking during 'quiet times' would help

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

Wearing orange will alert hunters to the fact that your not a deer! But most hunting accident at least around here aren't people being shot at. But from stray bullets that have missed their targets (the deer). I too like to take morning walks. But this time of year I don't dare. Orange clothes on or not.
Thats what I would be afraid of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a orange hat but could buy one. The other thing I could do is drive to my local town which is a couple of miles away and walk on the sidewalks. I think the days one has to worry about is Sat & Sunday.
And I always have orange on outside this time of year and you hear guns firing all the time and a bullet can travel pretty far.

trinettec

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I was younger I would have just put on my orange clothes and taken a walk, but now days the hunters are a lot less careful or respectful so I don't think I would. Try walking later in the morning after the hunters move out and stay to the road and open areas where you can see for a long way all around. Don't ever assume that the hunters can see you.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a little nervous about that. A lady was killed a few weeks ago by a deer hunter, she was wearing a bright red sweater.

When i was out one year doing field work during deer hunting season we weren't allowed to be out on any public land during that time. But even when you were in the provincial parks...would would try to get as deep into the park as possible as hunters LOVE to shoot right on the boundaries of parks and protected areas. I would flinch and duck everytime I heard a shot!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you waling along the road Gail? Or in the woods? I would be leary in the woods, but if your walking on a road you should be fine. But keep with the bright orange pull over! We don't want anything to happen to you! (and good for you for walking everyday! I'm very proud of you, you are an inspiration-as always!
)

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

The other thing I could do is drive to my local town which is a couple of miles away and walk on the sidewalks. I think the days one has to worry about is Sat & Sunday.
That sounds like a much safer plan.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I also whistle when I walk.Which is VERY rare for me.

Do you have the law that they can't shoot from the road?Meaning, they have to be in the field/woods to shoot them.
If not, then NO I wouldn't walk.But, if yes, then I would feel safe.
Only trouble with that is sometimes when you're in the woods and you are all excited about a deer you can get turned around. I do not go walking during hunting season unless I walk to my barn no hunters that way. This year my dad had to go run some people off our land, they were hunting on the land next to us, they were shooting at a deer and shooting directly into the field my horses are in. My uncle came running and told us and dad said I knew that sounded close. So I would advise maybe going to a park walking because they don't always pay attention you know if people can shoot towards a farmers house and horses they will shoot towards the road if they see that buck or doe that they want.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say as long as you feel safe doing it (I.e. sticking close the road and wearing a bright orange something), then go for it. You know your area better than we do, so you would know how many people hunt in your area and how close they normally stay.

Oh and make sure Dick Cheney isn't hunting in the same area. Then you'll be fine.