separation anxiety and riding in the car

lilstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats about 7-8 months old, a girl and a boy, but this mostly has to do with Athena. We left both cats home alone for about 5 days while on vacation, with a neighbor stopping by once a day to feed/water/scoop the box. Both cats are scared to death of strangers so were more than likely under the bed whenever the neighbor came to visit. He did not see Zeus at all, and saw Athena only on his last visit, the day before we came home! When we got back, Athena did not seem well. lethargic, dehydrated, not eating or drinking, and diarreah all over the floor (our neighbor says he did not see any diarreah until the day before we came home, so it was fairly fresh) We took her to the vet the next morning, and 48 hours later she came home. With some IV fluids and a couple syringe feedings until she agreed to eat on her own, she was fine. We don't really have any idea what could have caused this! My best guess is she was upset/stressed about being alone and just quit eating and drinking. The vet says this is possible. Has anyone experienced something similar?

Now that she's home, she seems like an extension of my own body! We took a 3 hour nap together, she's almost always on my lap or curled up next to me. And if I dare go to the kitchen to make a sandwich, she's at my feet meowing as if to say, "why on earth are you not holding me?"

For thanksgiving, we are going to my in laws about 3 hours away, and staying a night or two. after what happened last time we were gone, I definitely think I better take them both with us! The problem is, both cats *hate* the car. They cry, and tense up the whole time
It still seems safer (and..less expensive, lol) to bring them. Any tips to make the trip easier on them?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had any trouble at all with Zeus chasing or fighting with Athena? He's certainly at the age where he's quite likely to try dominating, both from the view of territory and gender - and maybe just because he can. If she was at his mercy for 5 days, it's possible she was hiding out a lot and was too afraid to eat or drink. Maybe in future either a live-in sitter (who can supervise problems and separate the cats if necessary), or a kennel should be arranged. Taking them is not a good answer either, I'm afraid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilstar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, more than anything they play well together and groom eachother. But now that you mention it, my husband did mention that Zeus was bothering Athena a couple days before the trip and he had to separate them for a little bit
more often than not, they act like best friends and enjoy eachother's company. Sometimes I'd swear they were playing an organized game of soccer! lol. But its true that I have no idea if she was or how much she was harassed while I was gone.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have a little more to consider here......How long has it been since you were away and are they both completely back to health now? A kennel sounds like it could be an absolute disaster for them! Stress does effect the health of our pets so you need to weigh it out.........at the same time would they be able to accept a temporary place after a long car ride? You might be in a jam here......

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experience has shown me that while kennels come with their own 'stressors', so do long car rides (with possibilities of escaping) and strange houses at the other end, not to mention how they might show their stress with regard to the hosts' carpets, etc. At least in a good kennel they are watched for problems, physical and otherwise; they're fed properly, cleaned up after, and safe, if not thrilled by it all.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitties (when I get #2) will be staying at my mother's after Christmas for a week while we are gone. I take my cat (8 months) for short "visits" to their house and he stayed there once already for four days (he was a little freaked out the first day and then perfectly fine). I like this arrangment because I know he gets plenty of attention (even if he does't want it) and someone is watching over him. My mother only lives 10 minutes away though.

I try to take him for short car rides every week to get him used to the the car. He still meows all the time.

I think you need to try something. Cats are a 16-18 year committment - you are going to want to go away for more then four days during that time I imagine.

I have heard that an antihistamine can help in the car -- maybe ask your vet?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

My kitties (when I get #2) will be staying at my mother's after Christmas for a week while we are gone. I take my cat (8 months) for short "visits" to their house and he stayed there once already for four days (he was a little freaked out the first day and then perfectly fine). I like this arrangment because I know he gets plenty of attention (even if he does't want it) and someone is watching over him. My mother only lives 10 minutes away though.

I try to take him for short car rides every week to get him used to the the car. He still meows all the time.

I think you need to try something. Cats are a 16-18 year committment - you are going to want to go away for more then four days during that time I imagine.

I have heard that an antihistamine can help in the car -- maybe ask your vet?
This is exactly what I think is the best way to approach these situations! Introduction to new things and places with the person they trust and depend on first, small car sittings, and drives, short stay overs with someone your pet can trust as much as you. Some people just don't have the time or won't make the time, but a mentally stressed pet, which can cause physical and behavioral problems, will effect you more in the long run!
Cheers to meow meow!