Just thought up a question stemming from the radio question.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone own good china anymore? When I say "good", I don't mean expensive........just china that you might have bought, that might have been handed down from generations, wedding gifts, someone gave you etc? If so, I'd LOVE to see pics of your dishes........I love china. My mother in law gave me her set when I married her baby boy...........

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover4ever

Does anyone own good china anymore? When I say "good", I don't mean expensive........just china that you might have bought, that might have been handed down from generations, wedding gifts, someone gave you etc? If so, I'd LOVE to see pics of your dishes........I love china. My mother in law gave me her set when I married her baby boy...........
I do, it's the china my father bought for my mother when they got married. I love it, and I can't wait to use it.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have waterfords, wedgewoods, royal doulton, noritake (3 different sets I think) and some others...my mom has them earmarked for specific children in her will, I know she has a china addiction!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some pretty Noritake I got about 23 years ago at my "first" marriage. Then recently my DH bought me a whole set of Christmas dishes, and in his well-meaningness, bought actual China Christmas dishes (can't remember the brand.) For everyday we use Pfaltzgraff. That was the first set of dishes I bought myself - and it was only about 5 years ago!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have plain white dishes for everyday use.

My china dishes are in storage at my mother's house. I inherited them from my grandmother when she passed away. She clipped soap box coupons during the depression era and got a whole set (meaning serving bowls, butter dishes, the whole nine yards).

Here's an example of what it looks like:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Emily, those are just beautiful!!! They must mean so much to you since I'm sure they meant alot to your grandma.....

I hope more of you can post pics of some of yours!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not huge into fancy china, but I would love to afford some really nice pottery dishes. I kind of collect pottery - it has to be functional stuff that I actually use. Twice a year there's a pottery show on down the road, and I usually spend a bit much there. It's fun to see all the different designs and you can meet the potters too.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two sets of "good" china. One of them was left to me by an aunt. I don't really care for it, but it's there. The other is the one that beckoned to me long before I ever considered whether or what I would collect. I'm at work, so won't be able to take pics until a lot later, but I will, because I love it, and in fact it will be out for tomorrow's dinner, since we'll be celebrating Rob's birthday.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have individual pieces of good china, like a matching teacup and saucer set, or a pretty gravy boat: things that were given to me as gifts or bequeathed to me in wills. No complete sets of anything, though. My mom has some "good" china, but I can't think of a time I've ever seen it used. (It probably has to do with the fact that it all has to be handwashed ...)

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have good china. We got it as a wedding present, it's Noritake. It's a white plate with a 1 inch black rim around the edge, and then 18kt gold rim around the very edge. I have the matching saucer plates/coffee cups/bowls & silverware. But my FAVORITE thing is my Lennox wine glasses. They are SO PRETTY, and HUGE!!! You could fit about a whole bottle of wine in one glass!!! And I do use these alot more often, not everyday or even everytime I drink wine, but if I have friends over, or even just me & my sil we use them. They are fun!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I have a "good" china coffee service that my in-laws gave us, but it's rarely used. My mom had a beautiful china dinner service for 12 that she wanted me to take, but that was impossible because of the distance (we live on different continents), as well as the fragility and weight of the china. She figured my sister would be using the dishes as dog or cat food bowls (she guessed that right), so she gave the set to a young neighbor who really appreciated it.
I think most people nowadays prefer something you can safely put in the dishwasher.

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any because I know I'd break it. Plus I don't really see the point in spending a lot of money on fancy dishes that are rarely used.

Our everyday dishes are from Target. We registered for them and got them as wedding presents. Our silverware is a heavy stainless steel set also from Target.

For everyday dishes, I definitely want dishes that go in the dishwasher.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Susie I have a nice set of china, in fact we will be using it on Turkey Lurkey day! it's Lenox 'Hancock Platinum' and it's lovely, but understated. We got the accent plates as well which are really cool.

Here's a picture

And what's great about it is it's dishwasher safe.
We love it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Denise, that is gorgeous.....I will have to take a pic of mine..........I just love china.....although I never use mine!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't find any images but copyrighted ones that i don't think I should upload to my photobucket account...but I'll describe it

I had always wanted china - even if I hadn't gotten married, I eventually would have gotten a set. We chose a now discontinued pattern by Mikasa - Remembrance - in Ivory. It has a scalloped edge, gold swirl and trim, and a pink rose pattern that I adore.

You can see an image of it at www.replacements.com, and can view wonderful quality images by going to the gallery of images of the available pieces.

I bring it out for holidays and when our parents visit - and look forward to leaving it to one of my nieces someday.

I'm really big on handing things on, and cherish heirloom items.